ebalong

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2011
Hi, SSD newbie question:

The Samsung 830 series 128 GB SSD apparently comes in different flavors. There is one with a "desktop upgrade kit", and one that I guess is without the kit. Is the kit necessary? I mean, are there any Samsung proprietary connectors that I need to be aware of that come in the upgrade kit, or can I just get the "naked" drive that is $20 cheaper? This will be going into an Antec P280, so I think I am covered with drive bay compatibility and all that.

Solution
The kit is not necessary. There are no proprietary cables. There is just one port for a power supply cable and one port for a SATA cable. Not much different from a hard drive.

Does your pc case have a drive bay for an ssd? If not you may want to get one of those drive bay adapters that converts a standard drive bay to one that will accomodate an ssd. No need to get an expenseive one either.
The kit is not necessary. There are no proprietary cables. There is just one port for a power supply cable and one port for a SATA cable. Not much different from a hard drive.

Does your pc case have a drive bay for an ssd? If not you may want to get one of those drive bay adapters that converts a standard drive bay to one that will accomodate an ssd. No need to get an expenseive one either.

Solution