Multiplier jumping?

bonifah

Honorable
Jan 8, 2013
As far as I know, I successfully did my first stage of overclocking my i5-2500k to 3.5ghz, but there seems to be a hitch.

This is the first time I've ever overclocked a processor and I was wondering if it's normal for the cpu to jump between x16 and x35. It seems like it stays a pretty stable multiplier when others do it, but for the most part mine stays at x16. I suppose I may have done something wrong, but if anyone knows the reason, I'd be most appreciative.

Thank you.

Solution
I think you are referring to the way the CPU is downclocking itself when not doing strenuous tasks such as gaming or video editing. Try playing a game (even a flash game might work) and monitor the CPU frequency in real time with CPU-Z. You should see the multiplier shoot up to 35 once the CPU needs the extra juice. Keep overclocking too, you could get at least 4.2 GHz out of that CPU, probably much more with adequete cooling and some practice.

mclovits

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2012
I think you are referring to the way the CPU is downclocking itself when not doing strenuous tasks such as gaming or video editing. Try playing a game (even a flash game might work) and monitor the CPU frequency in real time with CPU-Z. You should see the multiplier shoot up to 35 once the CPU needs the extra juice. Keep overclocking too, you could get at least 4.2 GHz out of that CPU, probably much more with adequete cooling and some practice.

Solution

bonifah

Honorable
Jan 8, 2013

I don't think I'm going to push it any higher than the 3.7 I put it up to, at least for now anyway. I have one of those self contained water cooling systems, but my cpu core temps on the cpuid hardware monitor are all around 90 degrees. I feel like I might need a better cooling system, but I've also seen that the 2500k's get really hot after overclocking.

mclovits

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2012
What cooler do you have? That's odd. I'd check the thermal paste (make sure there's not too much or too little) and make sure the heatsink is seated properly, those are high temps. Your voltages are not too high are they? Anyways, I have a Hyper 212+ in Push/Pull and it keeps my 3570k at 4.4 GHz no problem. If need be and you want to go higher that'll do the job just fine.

TRENDING THREADS