Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Submerged system help!

Tags:
Last response: in Systems
March 30, 2010 6:39:58 AM

I just bought a HEX Fish Tank and I'm planning on hooking my current system into this Tank along with some kind of oil or non conductive.

I was wondering if anyone could help me find something at like the grocery store or at like a walmart to buy for my submerged system and that

won't cause my computer to spark or die.

-Thank you all on TomsHardware

More about : submerged system

March 30, 2010 8:13:27 AM

WTF! [:grahamlv:3]
m
l
March 30, 2010 1:15:56 PM

You've never heard of this?

I mean I think I can do it, but I know there are a lot of guys on here who work with liquid cooling and such, well instead of just putting water blocks and hoses in my PC case I just want to submerge the whole thing.
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

March 30, 2010 2:05:35 PM

I believe you're looking to use mineral oil. Google it to make sure though.
March 30, 2010 10:45:17 PM

MadAdmiral said:
I believe you're looking to use mineral oil. Google it to make sure though.

Yeah thanks man, I do believe I seen a video on-line or on youtube saying that using mineral oil is better then using vegetable oil.

I was wondering is coolant a conductive? I know some mix with water.
m
l
March 31, 2010 12:24:53 AM

Depends on the coolant. Water is definitely conductive, no matter if it's distilled, de-ionized or whatever. I'm sure there are guides out there about how to do this. Just google it.
m
l
March 31, 2010 12:46:21 AM

DO NOT mix ANYTHING with the oil. Mixing non-conductive fluid/water is just asking for trouble.
m
l
March 31, 2010 10:47:18 AM

Thanks you guys so you guys solved my question.

I did do it and I actully found a guide on cnet and I'm pretty sure they found the guide on Tomshardware lol.

I put silicone around the CPU Socket inside/outside to protect it, and left computer running inside the HEX Tank and started adding 20Gallons of Mineral oil and so far STABLE!

Air Temps:

System 127F
CPU 97F
GPU 121

Being benchmarked with 3dMark.

So far 15Gallons added of Mineral oil and the temps are:

System 100-115F
CPU 80-85F
GPU 97-100

Insane! drop a lot, I think the more oil I add the cooler it stays though. After running 3dMark for 12 hours or more I have found that the TEMPS will only be around 5 degreed lower then air.

Now I do have a liquid cooling pump running all the mineral oil threw it and fan blowing/spinning inside the mineral oil to keep it from getting stagnet.

But yeah thank everyone on Tomshardware.
m
l
March 31, 2010 10:47:56 AM

Best answer selected by shanemarines.
m
l
March 31, 2010 11:23:46 AM

One question, how much did you spend for the mineral oil and your other equiptments? (don't include your pc components, please)
Can you please post pictures from your submerged rig?
m
l
April 4, 2010 9:57:58 AM

Well I live in Boise, Id and spent around 65.00 Dollars with tax and got about 10 gallons of mineral oil from walmart. Then just bought a cheap fish tank from walmart for around 30.00 Dollars. Not currently using a pump though and found you don't even need the pump just have a fan inside the mineral oil to move it. I will post pics of the BIOS and computer soon.
m
l
!