Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Submerged system help!

Tags:
Last response: in Systems
March 30, 2010 6:39:58 AM

I just bought a HEX Fish Tank and I'm planning on hooking my current system into this Tank along with some kind of oil or non conductive.

I was wondering if anyone could help me find something at like the grocery store or at like a walmart to buy for my submerged system and that

won't cause my computer to spark or die.

-Thank you all on TomsHardware

More about : submerged system

March 30, 2010 8:13:27 AM

WTF! [:grahamlv:3]
March 30, 2010 1:15:56 PM

You've never heard of this?

I mean I think I can do it, but I know there are a lot of guys on here who work with liquid cooling and such, well instead of just putting water blocks and hoses in my PC case I just want to submerge the whole thing.
Related resources

Best solution

March 30, 2010 2:05:35 PM

I believe you're looking to use mineral oil. Google it to make sure though.
March 30, 2010 10:45:17 PM

MadAdmiral said:
I believe you're looking to use mineral oil. Google it to make sure though.

Yeah thanks man, I do believe I seen a video on-line or on youtube saying that using mineral oil is better then using vegetable oil.

I was wondering is coolant a conductive? I know some mix with water.
March 31, 2010 12:24:53 AM

Depends on the coolant. Water is definitely conductive, no matter if it's distilled, de-ionized or whatever. I'm sure there are guides out there about how to do this. Just google it.
March 31, 2010 12:46:21 AM

DO NOT mix ANYTHING with the oil. Mixing non-conductive fluid/water is just asking for trouble.
March 31, 2010 10:47:18 AM

Thanks you guys so you guys solved my question.

I did do it and I actully found a guide on cnet and I'm pretty sure they found the guide on Tomshardware lol.

I put silicone around the CPU Socket inside/outside to protect it, and left computer running inside the HEX Tank and started adding 20Gallons of Mineral oil and so far STABLE!

Air Temps:

System 127F
CPU 97F
GPU 121

Being benchmarked with 3dMark.

So far 15Gallons added of Mineral oil and the temps are:

System 100-115F
CPU 80-85F
GPU 97-100

Insane! drop a lot, I think the more oil I add the cooler it stays though. After running 3dMark for 12 hours or more I have found that the TEMPS will only be around 5 degreed lower then air.

Now I do have a liquid cooling pump running all the mineral oil threw it and fan blowing/spinning inside the mineral oil to keep it from getting stagnet.

But yeah thank everyone on Tomshardware.
March 31, 2010 10:47:56 AM

Best answer selected by shanemarines.
March 31, 2010 11:23:46 AM

One question, how much did you spend for the mineral oil and your other equiptments? (don't include your pc components, please)
Can you please post pictures from your submerged rig?
April 4, 2010 9:57:58 AM

Well I live in Boise, Id and spent around 65.00 Dollars with tax and got about 10 gallons of mineral oil from walmart. Then just bought a cheap fish tank from walmart for around 30.00 Dollars. Not currently using a pump though and found you don't even need the pump just have a fan inside the mineral oil to move it. I will post pics of the BIOS and computer soon.
!