Sign in with
Your question

ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5730 vs NVIDIA GeForce GTS 360M

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 13, 2010 3:15:58 PM

I'm in the market for a desktop replacement/gaming laptop. I've narrowed my choices down to a few different systems. The one I like the most has everything I'm looking for except for the video card which is a Radeon HD 5730. I'm just wondering how big of a performance difference I'm going to see between this card and the Geforce GTS 360M.

Also would a Geforce GTS 360M in a system with a i5 processor outperform a Radeon HD 5730 paired with an i7.
March 13, 2010 11:08:08 PM

Ive been wondering the same thing. I just got the asus g51jx which has the NVIDIA GeForce GTS 360M, but thinking of taking it back because i dont care for the blue asus light laptop lid. I know that desktop cards r always better then the mobile version, due to the size and cooling. But my opinion on ur question would be the NVIDIA GeForce GTS 360M is hands down a much better gpu then the mobile 5730. The reason i say this, is because i recently upgraded my desktop pc graphic card to a radeon hd 5750. When playing raw hd video from my Panasonic hd camcorder. The laptop NVIDIA GeForce GTS 360M plays the video much smoother. Also, im not a big gamer, but the few i have played, the NVIDIA GeForce GTS 360M performed better for me. Which is surprising because im comparing a mobile graphics card NVIDIA GeForce GTS 360M to a desktop Visiontek 5750. You would think the desktop card would perform better. And yes I think the NVIDIA GeForce GTS 360M with a i5 would still out perform a 5730 paired with a i7. At the end of the day, depending on what u will be doing with new laptop, the 5730 would probably handle what ever u throw at it. For me i need a gpu that handles raw hd video well. My desktop 5750 plays raw hd video ok, but has a few hickups ever so often, I could also have a prob with codec/software setup on desktop. But as of now, i prefer the NVIDIA GeForce GTS 360M. Goodluck, maybe hold out and wait for the laptops that will have the ati mobile 5870, that one would easily beat the NVIDIA GeForce GTS 360M
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
March 14, 2010 5:20:13 AM

the 360 is just a rebadged G215 downclocked to a mobile part

basically a 240 gt wich is compareble to an 5670 so but since its down clocked the 5730 should be a lot better
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 14, 2010 5:49:34 AM

deadlockedworld said:

Notebookcheck has mobile graphic benchmarks that you can check out:

Notebookcheck is becoming more and more useless for modern cards. They have little to no benchmarks anymore, and even the ones they have are pretty useless (the GTX260M beating the GTX260M in SLi ? that's pretty useless).

They are both in the same category despite NBC saying one is Class 2 and one is Class 1. :pfff: 

The GTS 360 will be a bit faster in some games thanks to more bandwidth, but in other the HD5730 will outperform.

As for the difference it depends on what Corei5 and Corei7 it is paired with, neither GPU will go from playable to unplayable so I would focus on features more than performance because they will be close.
m
l
!