Coolermaster UCP 900W?Is it good enough?

darksmart

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2010
Hi
Is Cooler-master UCP 900W is good psu for 5870?I am getting this psu from someone in forum in 90$ and it is still under warranty.
i will be switching (from 4870) to either HD5870 crossfire or HD5970 with my existing phenom x6 1055t.
I had read its reviews and found that it is not that good since it produces electrical noise.So will this noise affect my hardware or cause any problem?
also it seems to be highly efficient,and my PC is almost on throughout the day.

So kindly guide that is it a better deal to have that psu?
it would be nice if someone can clarify about the electrical noise.

Solution
In general, the quality of a PSU depends on the model. PSUs of the same brand, even of the same series, are not closely related sometimes. In this case, the electrical performance of the UCP 900W is very good.
The COOLER MASTER UCP 900W (by AcBel Polytech) is a quality PSU which has a good voltage regulation, an excellent efficiency (80 Plus Silver certified) and good ripple/noise suppression as well.
At below of 70% of its full load the PSU runs very quiet due to its Superred CHB12012BS 120mm sleeve bearing fan. Anyway, if you are looking for a silent PSU, there are certainly quieter options on the market.
The primary features 2 Nippon Hitachi capacitors for 390μF 400V at 85°C and one Nippon Chemi-Con 270μF 400V rated at 85ºC. The...

canadian69

Distinguished
May 1, 2010
Looks like a decent PSU.

If you are talking about electrical noise as in an audible buzzing or clicking sound that you can hear with your ears, then no that will not effect your hardware, but may be annoying enough to make you stay away from this product.

If you are talking about electrical noise like random voltage spikes, sags, interference, feedback or "dirty power" then yes, that would be bad for your equipment.

darksmart

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2010
This is review of cm ucp 700w from hardwaresecrets.com
"The main problem with Cooler Master UCP 700 W is electrical noise. Noise on -12 V was always high, starting at 76.4 mV during test number one and increasing until it got above the maximum allowed (120 mV) on tests number four (125.8 mV) and five (148.6 mV). Noise on +5VSB was touching the 50 mV limit on test number three (45.6 mV) and surpassed it during tests four (55.6 mV) and five (86.2 mV). These results alone wouldn’t be much of a problem, but +12 V was also very noisy, jumping from around 80 mV on test number three, to around 100 mV during test four and surpassing the 120 mV limit during test number five (124.4 mV on +12V1 and 129.4 mV on +12V2). Noise level on +5 V and +3.3 V outputs were within the proper range, though. All values are peak-to-peak and below you can see the main outputs during test five".

So please tell me that how and at what extent it will affect the hardware.

Henry Chinaski

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
In general, the quality of a PSU depends on the model. PSUs of the same brand, even of the same series, are not closely related sometimes. In this case, the electrical performance of the UCP 900W is very good.
The COOLER MASTER UCP 900W (by AcBel Polytech) is a quality PSU which has a good voltage regulation, an excellent efficiency (80 Plus Silver certified) and good ripple/noise suppression as well.
At below of 70% of its full load the PSU runs very quiet due to its Superred CHB12012BS 120mm sleeve bearing fan. Anyway, if you are looking for a silent PSU, there are certainly quieter options on the market.
The primary features 2 Nippon Hitachi capacitors for 390μF 400V at 85°C and one Nippon Chemi-Con 270μF 400V rated at 85ºC. The secondary presents taiwanese electrolytic capacitors (from Ltec and OST) and japonese solid polymer capacitors (from Sanyo).
This PSU presents a combined +12V rating of 852W, which is divided up into four +12V rails (over current protected). You are able to install up to three very high-end graphic cards due to its six PCIe connectors (four 6-pin and two 8-pin). They take the power from the +12V3 (22A) and +12V4 (22A) rails all to themselves.
Therefore, I recommend you to buy it.

Solution