Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Power Supplies
  • Computer
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
March 30, 2010 8:28:16 AM

So I've had this rig for quite a while now, and while using it late tonight I heard a really high pitched noise through my headphones for about 5 seconds. Next thing i knew what looked like the Power Supply was popping and shooting sparks out like a goddamn fire-cracker. I'm not 100% sure if it was a PSU malfunction or maybe just it dying randomly, what should I do now lol? I want to salvage what is still useful.

The rig is 2 years old, its got an old 550W Enermax PSU, E6700 Core 2 Duo and a 8800GTX.

More about : computer blew literally

March 30, 2010 12:47:23 PM

You could probably test with another psu if the thing would still boot. The worst case scenario is that it burned everything down, though a bit unlikely.

Most likely you'd be able to salvage your rig, though you probably would want to do the whole stability test suite just to be sure everything still works.

* Memtest86+, Prime95, OCCT Linpack, OCCT GPU
m
l
a c 84 B Homebuilt system
March 30, 2010 2:10:05 PM

Agree with that. The PSU is definitely dead, and since it's a cheap unit, it may have taken several things with it. The motherboard, GPU and anything else connected directly to the PSU would be the most likely things to go.

I would go ahead and buy a quality replacement PSU, unless you've got a quality one laying around in a build that's not being used. Here's a cheap quality unit if you need one: Antec BP550. Or step it up and get a Corsair. It might not be a bad idea to buy a larger one and plan to use it when you upgrade the rest of the build.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
March 30, 2010 2:54:43 PM

Wow that was cool, having fireworks in your room... just kidding...
Like the others have adviced you.
Get a new PSU and try activating your system then do the stability test.
If everything is OK (let hope so) than you can keep (the word salvage is a little bit hard) your system.
If not, no other choice than buy a new system.

I hope you could at least save your HDD...for me...any part is allowed to be blown sky high except my HDD, my datas are more important.
m
l
!