Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Attempting to OC...Z77m-D3H-MVP...Is it possible?

Last response: in Overclocking
February 13, 2013 1:09:01 PM

Is it possible to do any OC on the GA-Z77m-D3H-MVP. It features OC ;However, it is partially locked! It does allow for the multiplier to be changed from stock 3.4 to 3.6 Mhz which I have not been able to do so far....any suggestion as to what can be oc on the current board? It doesn't allow me to change voltage and VRM. It is done automatically. However, I am allowed to change CPU ratio, system memory multiplier, and DRAM voltage. Furthermore, I compared my CPU-z validation to others and noticed two things..there is not any GPU Clocks listed as well as my memory is running at 10700 and the max rating is 1600 Mhz. Can you take look at my CPU-z link below and see if my system is running at its best performance level? Is there anything I can do to correct it?

Also, do you have any recommendation as to what best at value board I should purchase to replace the current one that will over clock and perhaps are there any changes I can make to current system that will improve performance?

CPU-Z

http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2692085

:cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry: 

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
a c 125 K Overclocking
February 13, 2013 2:10:14 PM

Hi,

Make sure you're accessing the advanced mode in the BIOS (I think Gigabyte call it M.I.T) this should have more overclocking options.

If you are accessing the advanced mode already and it doesn't have a CPU Multiplier option then look for a BIOS update.

Your RAM is running at 1330.4Mhz according to CPU-Z (665.2 x 2). If your RAM is rated for 1600Mhz then up the memory Multi and make sure the DRAM and latency timings (if you have access to them) are set to what your RAM is rated for.

You can check your graphics card clocks with GPU-Z if CPU-Z isn't showing them.
February 13, 2013 3:41:39 PM

Rustyy117 said:
Hi,

Make sure you're accessing the advanced mode in the BIOS (I think Gigabyte call it M.I.T) this should have more overclocking options.

If you are accessing the advanced mode already and it doesn't have a CPU Multiplier option then look for a BIOS update.

Your RAM is running at 1330.4Mhz according to CPU-Z (665.2 x 2). If your RAM is rated for 1600Mhz then up the memory Multi and make sure the DRAM and latency timings (if you have access to them) are set to what your RAM is rated for.

You can check your graphics card clocks with GPU-Z if CPU-Z isn't showing them.

It has a CPU clock ratio setting which I am referring to as the CPU Multiplier that is set for 3.4 Mhz (default) and can be changed to up a max of 3.6 Mhz. that I can access from the 3D setting and change there only. I have tried to change it to 3.5 Mhz as well as 3.6 Mhz and I am unable to boot. But, the system will allow me to do a boot over ride and everything works fine.

As far as the memory, I am clueless. I have a feature that is referred to as being the memory multiplier/ extreme memory profile (x.m.p.) and I am allowed to change it from 13.33 to whatever I would like to from 8.00 to 16.00. However, when I change it from anything other than 13.33 the system fails to boot. On the side of the ram it says 9-9-9-24, 1600 Mhz and 1.5v. My system is showing case latency as 9, tRCD is 9, tRP is 9, and the tRAS is 24. The DRAM voltage is 1.50v. Do I need to change something in advance setting for channel A or channel B timing settings such as tRC, tRDD, tWTR, tWR, tWTP, tWL, tRFC, tRTP tFAW or command Rate?

If I need to update the BIOS...which one do I select? There are 2 on the giga website and numerous ones on th web? Can you assist me with selection or provided guidiance?
m
l
a b V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
a c 125 K Overclocking
February 13, 2013 3:58:46 PM

I'm not sure what your referring to when you mention the clock ratio as 3.4...

The ratio should be 36 (not to be confused with 3.6) and it isn't a measurement of Mhz...

The ratio is already set to 36, if you look at the CPU-Z screenshot you posted you can see the multiplier is 36.

Set your RAM to the X.M.P if you can, and just make sure the DRAM voltage is set to 1.50V

Try the F13 BIOS from this list: http://uk.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4...

It's the latest stable (non-beta) BIOS for your mobo on Gigabytes website.
m
l
February 13, 2013 6:01:47 PM

Rustyy117 said:
I'm not sure what your referring to when you mention the clock ratio as 3.4...

The ratio should be 36 (not to be confused with 3.6) and it isn't a measurement of Mhz...

The ratio is already set to 36, if you look at the CPU-Z screenshot you posted you can see the multiplier is 36.

Set your RAM to the X.M.P if you can, and just make sure the DRAM voltage is set to 1.50V

Try the F13 BIOS from this list: http://uk.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4...

It's the latest stable (non-beta) BIOS for your mobo on Gigabytes website.

When I select the 3D BIOS screen. I am allow to change the CPU clock ratio from 34 to 36 which is also synchronous to the frequency, respectively of 3.4 Mhz and 3.6 Mhz. So when I change the CPU ratio I am also changing the frequency. The current CPU ratio is set at 34 and has frequency 3.4 Mhz. and the system will boot. However, when I select 36 as the CPU clock ratio it will not boot and I have to do a boot over ride and then everything runs fine.

When I set the RAM to X.M.P I am given an option to select AUTO, DISABLED, Profile 1. Once I select Profile 1 I am again given an option to select the multiplier factor of 8, 10, 13 or 16. If I select anything other than 13.33 the system fails to boot, but I can do an over ride and system operates great!

I will update the Bios according to the link above and see how that works.

Thanks alot for your assistance.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
a c 125 K Overclocking
February 13, 2013 6:13:24 PM

knightfarley said:
When I select the 3D BIOS screen. I am allow to change the CPU clock ratio from 34 to 36 which is also synchronous to the frequency, respectively of 3.4 Mhz and 3.6 Mhz. So when I change the CPU ratio I am also changing the frequency. The current CPU ratio is set at 34 and has frequency 3.4 Mhz. and the system will boot. However, when I select 36 as the CPU clock ratio it will not boot and I have to do a boot over ride and then everything runs fine.

When I set the RAM to X.M.P I am given an option to select AUTO, DISABLED, Profile 1. Once I select Profile 1 I am again given an option to select the multiplier factor of 8, 10, 13 or 16. If I select anything other than 13.33 the system fails to boot, but I can do an over ride and system operates great!

I will update the Bios according to the link above and see how that works.

Thanks alot for your assistance.

Ah ok I see what you mean, however its Ghz not Mhz (as in 3.4Ghz) ;) 

A mem multi of 16 with a BLCK of 100 should give 1600Mhz frequency... Try 16 mem multi with your RAMs rated timings and voltage, it should atleast be able to run at stock settings.

And yes try the newer BIOS.
m
l
February 14, 2013 3:45:29 PM

I wasn't able to get the system to boot if I changed the setting manual or place them on auto. After a careful evaluation of the Gigabyte’s manual for the Z77M-D3H-MVP I discovered why I could not over clock hardware through BIOS. It seems that the intent of Gigabyte is for you to use program over clocking, Easy Tune 6, provided on the driver CD to oc the voltage and clock settings.

So I finally got to the memory to 1600 Mhz. I have 3 options available to over clock:
#1.
CPU: 3.84 Ghz
BCLK: 101 Mhz

#2.
CPU: 3.98 Ghz
BCLK: 102 Mhz

#3.
CPU: 4.22 Ghz
BCLK: 103 Mhz

Should I go for the 4.22 Ghz using a program over clocking? :sweat:  :sweat:  :sweat: 

Thanks for all of your HELP!!!
m
l
a b V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
a c 125 K Overclocking
February 14, 2013 4:30:55 PM

knightfarley said:
I wasn't able to get the system to boot if I changed the setting manual or place them on auto. After a careful evaluation of the Gigabyte’s manual for the Z77M-D3H-MVP I discovered why I could not over clock hardware through BIOS. It seems that the intent of Gigabyte is for you to use program over clocking, Easy Tune 6, provided on the driver CD to oc the voltage and clock settings.

So I finally got to the memory to 1600 Mhz. I have 3 options available to over clock:
#1.
CPU: 3.84 Ghz
BCLK: 101 Mhz

#2.
CPU: 3.98 Ghz
BCLK: 102 Mhz

#3.
CPU: 4.22 Ghz
BCLK: 103 Mhz

Should I go for the 4.22 Ghz using a program over clocking? :sweat:  :sweat:  :sweat: 

Thanks for all of your HELP!!!

Most motherboard allow you to overclock via the BIOS even if they include software to overclock and it's generally considered safer to overclock outside the O/S but if you've got success with the software then that's good :) 

Overclocking by changing the BLCK (or base clock) is not recommended as it effects the memory speed, USB ports, SATA ports ETC.... so as with any overclocking do it at your own risk, though having said that 103Mhz (an increase of just 3 mhz BLCK) should be ok.

Make sure you stability test, check the Vcore with CPU-Z and watch those temps!.
m
l
February 19, 2013 11:14:42 AM

Best answer selected by knightfarley.
m
l
!