Computer Froze Once, Can't Find Problem Need Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

wwusa83

Distinguished
May 2, 2010
Hello everyone,

About a week ago my system froze for the first time ever. At first I thought the system was just paused for a moment but I got no response from my keyboard or mouse. I had to reset. The computer has been operational for about a year and a half. It came as a real surprise to me. It has only happened this one time and I have been unable to reproduce the problem.

Here are my specs:

Home built.
Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit.
CORSAIR Enthusiast Series CMPSU-550VX 550W ATX12V V2.2
GIGABYTE GA-MA74GM-S2 AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 740G Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
AMD Athlon II X4 640 Propus 3.0GZ
Patriot Extreme Performance Gaming Series 4GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Model PGS24G6400ELK
Samsung Spinpoint F3 1 TB Hard drive.
MSI R5770-PMD1G Radeon HD 5770 (Recently updated to catalyst 11.9)

Upon checking the event viewer I discovered a distributed com error around the same time I had to reset. This error was logged at 1254 p.m. However the unexpected system shutdown error states: The previous system shutdown at 12:47:16 PM on ‎10/‎17/‎2011 was unexpected. This indicates to me that the distributed com error is unrelated. I also have this: Session "Microsoft Security Client OOBE" stopped due to the following error: 0xC000000D logged at 12:54. Also it would appear after the lockup.

The actions I have taken thus far:

1. Ran chkdisk, no problems.
2. Ran windows memory diagnostic, no problems,
3. Ran memtest86 , no problems detected, (ran this for about 3 hours..... is this enough? not sure to what degree ram problems can appear as this instance seems to be difficult to reproduce.)
4. Ran Prime95 for about 3 hours (blend).. no problems.

I am baffled. I know some of you would say that if it was only once I should go on and not worry. I also know some of you are like me and need the answer. Healthy computers don't just freeze.

I have two suspects I can think of in this instance:

1. Ram? (seeming more unlikely, I am considering a 12+ hour memtest)
2. Freak Power fluctuation that the PSU could not cope with.

I am asking the community for help and advice. Is it acceptable for a computer to freeze on ultra rare occasions? Is it something that just happens? Does this happen to everyone? I honestly don't know. Should I continue searching for a flaw? Thank you in advance.

Solution
If there is no BSOD and it is not reoccurring, it is (1) difficult to find out what went wrong. (2) Not a big concern. Probably some program freeze which can happen. No OS is immune to it.

Possibly an unresponsive graphics drive and attempting a restart of the driver causes the freeze.

wwusa83

Distinguished
May 2, 2010

I had firefox 7.01 running (two tabs I believe).

System tray: Microsoft Security Essentials, Dropbox, Catalyst, Steam,

Also have an external hard drive attached.

If there is no BSOD and it is not reoccurring, it is (1) difficult to find out what went wrong. (2) Not a big concern. Probably some program freeze which can happen. No OS is immune to it.

Possibly an unresponsive graphics drive and attempting a restart of the driver causes the freeze.

Solution

wwusa83

Distinguished
May 2, 2010

So freak system freezes do happen sometimes?

Status
Not open for further replies.