Sign in with
Your question

What does S.M.A.R.T mean in BIOS sata configuration screen

Last response: in Systems
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
March 30, 2010 2:55:05 PM

I have installed a samsung sh-223l dvd.superwritemaster in the spare cd/dvd driver bay on my Emachines 370 and connected it to the SATA1 Hyway. At first the computer didn't recognise it at all so I re loaded drivers and that fixed it but the system recognises it as a cd drive. Looking in BIOS SATA configuration screen SATA1 has nothing on it and S.M.A.R.T is not enabled. What does S.M.A.R.T mean and should I enable it?

I would appreciate any advise.
Many Thanks J.S :pt1cable: 
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
March 31, 2010 10:43:55 AM

Many thanks for that. Now I just have to find out why in system- sofware environment- signed drivers it is listed as CD-ROM ? could it be I need different drivers for the Samsung sh-223l super writemaster dvd. Also in BIOS advanced screen SATA configuration no drives are listed, but I can still use the drive but not with dvd's.
Any ideas! many thanks.
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
March 31, 2010 3:31:15 PM

You're welcome. It could be a driver issue. Which SATA ports are you plugged into? It would be beneficial to you and us if you list your system specs, I'm wondering if you're in a JMicron SATA plug.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
March 31, 2010 4:25:40 PM

Thanks again. My mother board is an ASROCK P4VM890 with Intel pentium4/celeron D. Chipset is a Northbridge VIA P4M890-Southbridge VIA VT8237R Plus.
Connectors~
2x Serial ATA 1.5 Gb/s connectors,support (RAID 0,RAID1and JBOD)and "Hot Plug" functions

2x ATA 133 IDE Connectors (Supports 4 IDE Devices)

:pt1cable: 
!