• CPUs
  • Intel i7
Last response: in CPUs
a b à CPUs
June 9, 2010 2:40:45 PM

More about : core 980x

a b à CPUs
June 9, 2010 3:57:02 PM

wow,he killed the most expensive CPU on the market lol,and it was his friend's CPU :lol: 
Thanks for sharing,it was an interesting story
a b à CPUs
June 9, 2010 4:35:37 PM

Maziar said:
wow,he killed the most expensive CPU on the market lol,and it was his friend's CPU :lol: 
Thanks for sharing,it was an interesting story

no problem.

Yeah if i read correctly, he killed 3 of them and 1 was his friend.

Although i love this saying.

Quote:

Friend :you killed my cpu?

Am I at your home? How could I kill your cpu?..... :D 

[:mousemonkey:5]

Anyways. Yah, certainly is strange that there some 980x's that just die from running on 1 core and no HT.

Guess HT it a little more important than some of us first though it was. :whistle:  :lol: 
Related resources
a b à CPUs
June 9, 2010 9:44:43 PM

6ghz, no problem.

Single core without HT, fail.

Lol, great find, damn interesting.

Has anyone else had any experience with single core HT-less usage on the i7 980?
a b à CPUs
June 10, 2010 1:30:04 AM

On that forum. yes.

Some people are just fine with no problems with core to 1 core, no HT.

Although there are some people that reach to 2 cores with no ht and it doesn't post.

Bads 980x bios? bad cpus batch? Strange, unforeseen cpu/MB combination issues? Who knows.

Wonder if tom's could investigate this. :heink: 
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
July 30, 2010 2:34:40 PM

lol...wow, scary sometimes when we're just trying to learn and WHAM... you get smacked. Like others, killing his friends CPU via the phone was great. Pretty much lets you know what NOT to do when a "friend" calls for you to try something like that. Thanks for the chuckles.
August 13, 2010 4:40:16 AM

I don't really understand the technical jargon in this story but...

This worries me quite a lot. I'm planning on buying an i7 980x soon, but I do have a handful of old games that I still like to play, that don't like multi-core processors, so I have to set the game to just use one core (NFS Underground II and Grand Prix 4 for example).

I do this by alt-tabing out of the game once loaded, and then using the task manager to set the game's affinity to just one core.

Is this story suggesting that doing so would be an extremely bad idea?
a b à CPUs
August 13, 2010 5:04:50 AM

Sorry, I don't have $1,000 to blow on a CPU. Would never do that to any CPU anyway.
a b à CPUs
August 13, 2010 5:06:18 AM

that's gotta ruin your day...

personally, i would not mess around with a $1000 processor...and i wouldn't let me friend do it either
a b à CPUs
August 13, 2010 11:24:52 AM

davidstrongarm said:
I don't really understand the technical jargon in this story but...

This worries me quite a lot. I'm planning on buying an i7 980x soon, but I do have a handful of old games that I still like to play, that don't like multi-core processors, so I have to set the game to just use one core (NFS Underground II and Grand Prix 4 for example).

I do this by alt-tabing out of the game once loaded, and then using the task manager to set the game's affinity to just one core.

Is this story suggesting that doing so would be an extremely bad idea?

No no no. If you got a program that only uses a single core, your just fine.

What happen there is these guys went into there MB 'bios', disabled 4 to 5 cores, and HT and the cpu died. As long as you dont disabled cores and the HT. you'll be just fine.
a b à CPUs
August 13, 2010 11:29:43 AM

jefe323 said:
that's gotta ruin your day...

personally, i would not mess around with a $1000 processor...and i wouldn't let me friend do it either

At least there such a thing as an RMA. ;) 
August 13, 2010 12:10:00 PM

warmon6 said:
No no no. If you got a program that only uses a single core, your just fine.

What happen there is these guys went into there MB 'bios', disabled 4 to 5 cores, and HT and the cpu died. As long as you dont disabled cores and the HT. you'll be just fine.

Great, that's just what I wanted to hear!
Cheers warmon6
a c 172 à CPUs
August 13, 2010 2:51:23 PM

Quote:
Like others, killing his friends very expensive CPU via the phone was great. Pretty much lets you know what NOT to do when a "friend" calls for you to try something like that.

FIFY.
a b à CPUs
August 13, 2010 3:06:38 PM

jsc said:
FIFY.

:lol: 
a b à CPUs
August 13, 2010 5:09:44 PM

this must be why
Quote:
Simply too beastly of a CPU to allow running at 1 core 1 thread

though wow, that is kind of weird to have it die like that

EDIT: the only thing i can think of that is happening is that the Turbo is kicking in constantly and over-volting and over-clocking the single core w/o HT
!