First New Build - AMD Heatsink- Can it be installed either way?

cl91

Honorable
Feb 9, 2013
Hi,

I have just completed building my first computer and I think I might have made a mistake with the cpu heatsink.

I have used the AMD A4 5300 processor along with an MSI FM2-A55M-E33 motherboard and I presumed that the heatsink could be installed either way as the brackets look exactly the same, however after looking closely it looks as if the space between each bracket and the cpu is different. I have installed the heatsink with the clip at the bottom (the bracket with the smallest gap between itself and the cpu) and I am now worried that it may not be properly secure.

Is it ok for the heatsink to be installed this way, or should I swap it so the clip is at the other side?

Any help will be much appreciated.

cl91

Honorable
Feb 9, 2013
I have attached the heatsink using both notches and secured it by pushing down on the clip, but because it looks like there is different spacing between the bracket and the cpu I thought this may mean it could go in one specific way.

On closer inspection I think the spacing is the same, it just looks different due to the lever that secures the cpu in place.

it sounds right just make sure its secure on top of the cpu and it doesnt move. you can look up youtube videos to visually compare your installation and make sure its done right