Intel 82954G Express and Windows Media Center

kojo87

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2009
i have a mini-ITX build with an Intel Atom 330, 2GB RAM and Intel 82945G Express integrated GPU. the computer is connected to a 21.5" HP touchscreen monitor at 1920x1980. when i try to run Windows Media Center the thing lags like a mofo and is completely unusable. Aero effects lag slightly too. i would assume its the crappy GPU and buy a new one but i have a similar Intel GPU in my netbook that gives me no troubles with Aero or Media Center. then again its only running at 1024x600. i just want to make sure this is because of the crappy GPU and not a software fix before i go spend $50 on a Nvidia card. should the 82945G be able to run Media Center or am i kidding myself? thanks in advance.

Solution
Unfortunately yes, I have a G965 on my Dell. When I ran Media Center it performed smoothly on my 1680x1050 monitor, but HD 1920x1080 is a little bit of a stretch. Only modern Intel gpus can handle that resolution and play blu-ray smoothly. Can I suggest you try and find a ATI Radeon HD 5450 instead, it's around the same price point and has Eyefinity, a smaller die, and is more energy efficient but still performs.

mister g

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
Unfortunately yes, I have a G965 on my Dell. When I ran Media Center it performed smoothly on my 1680x1050 monitor, but HD 1920x1080 is a little bit of a stretch. Only modern Intel gpus can handle that resolution and play blu-ray smoothly. Can I suggest you try and find a ATI Radeon HD 5450 instead, it's around the same price point and has Eyefinity, a smaller die, and is more energy efficient but still performs.

Solution

kojo87

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2009
thanks that info. i would get an HD 5450 (i much prefer AMD and ATi to Intel and Nvidia. have 2 HD 4870s in my desktop and i love it) but since this is a mini-ITX build it is a pretty limited motherboard. integrated Atom 330, one RAM slot, one PCI slot. no AGP or PCI-e which sucks now that i need a new graphics card. the best ATi PCI card i could find was an HIS HD 4350 but i have read a lot of reviews that say there are issues with the drivers since ATi does not technically support graphics acceleration over PCI. that card was $75 which is a little steep. so right now i am looking at a PNY GeForce 8400 for $50. the computer does nothing but music anyway so Media Center is as graphics heavy as it will get. but if you know of or come across a comparable PCI ATi card that works just as well let me know! thanks again.

kojo87

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2009
just ordered an Intel ITX mobo with the integrated CPU and GPU off Newegg for $80. got a nice little Rosewill case with PSU for another $40. threw in an extra 2GB stick of RAM, 320GB HDD, DVD burner and wifi adapter i had laying around. nice little music and web machine for not much money. this project was a birthday gift for my dad. its his jukebox basically. having it hooked up to a touchsceen monitor and his sweet Bose stereo is pretty awesome. now i just need to get Media Center to work right.

i must say Windows 7 with a multitouch monitor is really friggin cool.