NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS

Hi all,

Yesterday I updated the drivers for my 8400 GS and quickly found it over heating to 120°C. After doing some research I found that the drivers that were released had a fan speed control problem and was advised to rollback. After the rollback the temp did not go back down and is currently sitting at 150°C. I'm to the point that I believe a new card may be the best way to go and am at a loss for what to get. I have a HP Pavilion M9058N Elite running Windows 7 with (2) 3.0GHz AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ processors and 3.00 GB of RAM.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
19 answers Last reply
More about nvidia geforce 8400
  1. The card is NOT sitting at 150c.
  2. HWMonitor says it is... I just started blasting a fan and the A/C in my house on it and it has lowered to 125°.
  3. Pix please. Cards are not designed to go above 120c. Especially not the 8400gs.
  4. Load rive tuner and set the fan to max if it adjust (mine doesn't) at least I avoided this from the start via my laziness. The best low profile upgrade out there is a 9600gt while a 9400gt wouldn't be an upgrade but a side grade if it is 128bit for the low profile version. The 8400gs is a very weak card, bought one to tinker around with phsyx and found it just to weak even with the shader at 1.8ghz.
  5. trick882 said:
    Hi all,

Yesterday I updated the drivers for my 8400 GS and quickly found it over heating to 120°C. After doing some research I found that the drivers that were released had a fan speed control problem and was advised to rollback. After the rollback the temp did not go back down and is currently sitting at 150°C. I'm to the point that I believe a new card may be the best way to go and am at a loss for what to get. I have a HP Pavilion M9058N Elite running Windows 7 with (2) 3.0GHz AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ processors and 3.00 GB of RAM.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

What driver version is this? As the problem driver was supposed to have been withdrawn.
  6. A 8400GS even with a passive cooler can't go to 150C, even without any airflow.
    It's thermodynamically impossible.
  7. Finally, someone besides me catches on, :\.
  8. Unless he's heating his house to 50C & covering the 8400GS with a cotton heatsink.
  9. Would an 8400gs even start up at 150c? AFAIK the only time the terms "Graphics card" and "<heat level over 150c>" is ever applied is when you need to bake your 8800gtx.
  10. Well the time my 7300GT's fan broke it got to 120C, but that was in-game and my house wasn't even cool
  11. Thanks for the comments guys...

mousemonkey - 196.75, I rolledback to 196.21.

nforce4max - Thanks for the comments - I picked up the 9600GT and everything is fine.

As far as whether the reading was correct or not on HWMonitor, I have no idea. I merely reported the information I had. I bought a new card and everything is working properly now with a reading of 58°C.

Thanks,
  12. trick882 said:
    Thanks for the comments guys...

mousemonkey - 196.75, I rolledback to 196.21.

nforce4max - Thanks for the comments - I picked up the 9600GT and everything is fine.

As far as whether the reading was correct or not on HWMonitor, I have no idea. I merely reported the information I had. I bought a new card and everything is working properly now with a reading of 58°C.

Thanks,

Wow, that 9600gt won't disappoint for low profile that is good as it gets and good temps to.
  13. The only card I would believe idling at 150C is the New Fermi chips.
  14. builderbobftw said:
    The only card I would believe idling at 150C is the New Fermi chips.

really? Come on, dude.
  15. Just couldn't resist.
  16. Wow, I'm not going to use this site again.

- Perhaps it was my mistake for thinking someone would say "150°C... You're sensor is wrong or your software is wrong try this one."
  17. trick882 said:
    Wow, I'm not going to use this site again.

Whys that mate?
  18. Probably because we wanted to solve the 150c card before we suggested advice. Wouldn't want another card burning up, would we?
  19. trick882 said:
    Wow, I'm not going to use this site again.

- Perhaps it was my mistake for thinking someone would say "150°C... You're sensor is wrong or your software is wrong try this one."

Oh, Silly me, I thought a bunch of people said that... (including me)

shadow187 said:
    The card is NOT sitting at 150c.

Anonymous said:
    A 8400GS even with a passive cooler can't go to 150C, even without any airflow.
    It's thermodynamically impossible.
Ask a new question

Read More

Nvidia Drivers Graphics