QUICK Overclocking question

Pachi

Honorable
Jan 26, 2013
Hi, well i'm thinking of overclocking the GPU on my second system, it is a 1gb gtx 550ti current settings are at

Core = 900 MHz
Shader = 1800 MHz
Memory = 2050 MHz

If i boost the core up to 1GHz right now from 900MHz, will that damage the graphics card?
Also will i require any type of cooling before doing so or will my cooling be adequate enough?
I currently have two case fans, one positioned at the front of the case and one positioned at the back of the case, i have good cable management and the case also has good ventilation, thank you!

Hi,

1) Upping the frequency is very unlikely to damage the card on its own (leaving the voltage alone) and providing the temps are acceptable (<85C)

2) No idea if you'll require additional cooling, I don't know your current load temps....

No problem, your load temps are very good so try the overclock and see if its stable, if not you can reduce the overclock or increase the voltage slightly (with MSI Afterburner).

Pachi

Honorable
Jan 26, 2013
ahh alright thanks a lot man! I was thinking of which problem to use, is MSI Afterburner better than Rivatuner? Even though MSI Afterburner says it's powered by Rivatuner, pretty dumb question but just curious

They pretty much allow you to do the same thing, I just prefer MSI's UI (user interface)

Pachi

Honorable
Jan 26, 2013
Yeah i have to agree with you there, running at 59* when playing arma2 might go up another 40mhz tomorrow

Pachi

Honorable
Jan 26, 2013
Will do, thanks a lot mate :)
Just a quick question, because i just increased it by 60 i am really happy with the performance increase, would increasing it by another 40 by a bad idea within 30 mins? xD

No problem mate, I don't see much point in stability testing for longs periods of time if you plan on increase the clock speed immediately after.
Once your set on an overclock your happy with then stability test for a few hours, many people stability test with benchmarks like Unigine heaven or 3dMark, though a demanding game is just as good.