zdbc13

Distinguished
Hi, I recently signed up for MS's 25gb Skydrive storage and copied some data there. On boot it loads a Skydrive app that shows in the notification area. It's taking a tremendously long time to do the uploading, I've been at it 3 or 4 days now and it says only .2 of 2.3gb have been copied (I often shut down the app because of the following problem). Whenever this app is running I notice that internet access slows down to a crawl, both for my computer and my son's which is on the same network. Task manager only shows .02% network utilization and the skydrive app shows hardly any cpu activity. When I shut down the skydrive app the network speeds back up to normal. This seems odd to me. Any other's have this problem and is there anything I can do about it? Thanks!

Solution
Most cloud storage is slow the first time you upload files as it needs to send the whole files. Some services will only send the file delta's/differentials on successive uploads/syncs thus needing less time and bandwidth to sync files. I'm not sure if skydrive does this. It may send the whole file each time.

osamabinrobot

Honorable
Apr 10, 2012
are there settings for reducing the maximum upload speed?
try throttling that back a little, its very easy to saturate your upload and prevent other requests from getting out in a timely manner.

what level of internet service do you have? (mbps up/down)

zdbc13

Distinguished
No Skydrive settings for throttling available.

I'm just on basic 6mb download/1mb upload service. I did SpeedTest and Comcast speed test and they both show about 3mb download and .23mb upload when skydrive is running, pretty bad. I closed the skydrive app and my download stayed the same but upload increased to .73 which is much better.

I guess skydrive is just a hog taking over half my upload bandwidth. That's probably the reason everything seems slow when it's running. Only thing I can think of is to increase my service level but right now I'm trying to save money so that's not going to happen.

Thanks for your ideas....

Most cloud storage is slow the first time you upload files as it needs to send the whole files. Some services will only send the file delta's/differentials on successive uploads/syncs thus needing less time and bandwidth to sync files. I'm not sure if skydrive does this. It may send the whole file each time.

Solution

lpolanco

Honorable
Jan 4, 2013

I experimented the same issue, after three days working with ISP because of a suddently drop of my bandwith ( to 1% of my total BW) I discovery that when I connect the one and only laptop with windows 8 at home with paid skydrive account, the network drop in about 5 minutes, then I suspected of a virus, I expended hourds scanning for a possible undetected virus, But then I saw the skydrive activity running netstat in a Command window. As soon as I turned off Skydrive from task manager, the network returned to normal speed.

zdbc13

Distinguished
I only update skydrive at night when I'm not using any computers, now. I tried google's cloud service and it caused the same problem. I think when the upload pipe is full it slows down everything...