Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Skydrive slow

Tags:
Last response: in Storage
a b G Storage
May 2, 2012 1:18:36 PM

Hi, I recently signed up for MS's 25gb Skydrive storage and copied some data there. On boot it loads a Skydrive app that shows in the notification area. It's taking a tremendously long time to do the uploading, I've been at it 3 or 4 days now and it says only .2 of 2.3gb have been copied (I often shut down the app because of the following problem). Whenever this app is running I notice that internet access slows down to a crawl, both for my computer and my son's which is on the same network. Task manager only shows .02% network utilization and the skydrive app shows hardly any cpu activity. When I shut down the skydrive app the network speeds back up to normal. This seems odd to me. Any other's have this problem and is there anything I can do about it? Thanks!

More about : skydrive slow

May 2, 2012 1:24:57 PM

are there settings for reducing the maximum upload speed?
try throttling that back a little, its very easy to saturate your upload and prevent other requests from getting out in a timely manner.

what level of internet service do you have? (mbps up/down)
m
l
a b G Storage
May 2, 2012 2:01:53 PM

No Skydrive settings for throttling available.

I'm just on basic 6mb download/1mb upload service. I did SpeedTest and Comcast speed test and they both show about 3mb download and .23mb upload when skydrive is running, pretty bad. I closed the skydrive app and my download stayed the same but upload increased to .73 which is much better.

I guess skydrive is just a hog taking over half my upload bandwidth. That's probably the reason everything seems slow when it's running. Only thing I can think of is to increase my service level but right now I'm trying to save money so that's not going to happen.

Thanks for your ideas....
m
l
Related resources
May 2, 2012 2:14:52 PM

just run it at night or get yourself a nice usb stick? ;) 
m
l
a b G Storage
May 2, 2012 2:29:14 PM

Good idea. I've got plenty of local backup capacity so it's not critical. Just wanted to try it out. The cloud is not for cheapscapes like me...
m
l

Best solution

a c 383 G Storage
May 2, 2012 3:12:34 PM

Most cloud storage is slow the first time you upload files as it needs to send the whole files. Some services will only send the file delta's/differentials on successive uploads/syncs thus needing less time and bandwidth to sync files. I'm not sure if skydrive does this. It may send the whole file each time.
a b G Storage
May 2, 2012 3:59:03 PM

Yep, you're probably right. First time upload takes the most bandwidth. Maybe someday it will be done and then the incremental won't be that bad.
m
l
a b G Storage
May 9, 2012 1:07:34 PM

Best answer selected by zdbc13.
m
l
a b G Storage
May 12, 2012 1:56:29 AM

Go ahead and close this one. Thanks to everyone for suggestions. Upload finished and all is well.
m
l
January 4, 2013 2:30:41 PM

zdbc13 said:
Hi, I recently signed up for MS's 25gb Skydrive storage and copied some data there. On boot it loads a Skydrive app that shows in the notification area. It's taking a tremendously long time to do the uploading, I've been at it 3 or 4 days now and it says only .2 of 2.3gb have been copied (I often shut down the app because of the following problem). Whenever this app is running I notice that internet access slows down to a crawl, both for my computer and my son's which is on the same network. Task manager only shows .02% network utilization and the skydrive app shows hardly any cpu activity. When I shut down the skydrive app the network speeds back up to normal. This seems odd to me. Any other's have this problem and is there anything I can do about it? Thanks!

I experimented the same issue, after three days working with ISP because of a suddently drop of my bandwith ( to 1% of my total BW) I discovery that when I connect the one and only laptop with windows 8 at home with paid skydrive account, the network drop in about 5 minutes, then I suspected of a virus, I expended hourds scanning for a possible undetected virus, But then I saw the skydrive activity running netstat in a Command window. As soon as I turned off Skydrive from task manager, the network returned to normal speed.
m
l
a b G Storage
January 4, 2013 5:06:29 PM

I only update skydrive at night when I'm not using any computers, now. I tried google's cloud service and it caused the same problem. I think when the upload pipe is full it slows down everything...
m
l
!