Need help picking right RAM.

G

Given that I picked the wrong ram the first time, I think I will ask for some help.

I just purchased an i5 750 quad, and an ASUS p7h55-m Pro. I'm looking for about 6-8 gigs, and have found a couple I'm thinking about getting, but I can't decide and have no idea what makes RAM better than other RAM. I'm guessing lower timing and latency is better? idk, but anyways, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Corsair Dominator 8GB
Newegg.com/product/product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145313

or

Corsair Dominator 6GB
Newegg.com/product/product.aspx?Item=N82E16820135224

If anyone has any other better suggestions, please let me know. My price range is up to about 160 or so give or take. Thanks.

Are you over cloking ? The RAM speed factors into 2 decisions. Your Base System Clock is 133 MHz .... so w/ the default memory multiplier of 8, you'd need RAM rated at 1066 MHz.

1. You can run ya RAM 25% faster for example by changing your memory multiplier to 10 and running it at 10 x 133 or 1333. This requires DDR3-1333. Using a 12 multiplier, you need DDR3-1600

2. Alternately, you may want to decide to overclock the CPU. Changing the BCLK from 133 to 167 invcreases your CPU speed by 25%. Again, with the default memory multiplier of 8 (8 x 167), you'd need DDR3-1333.

CAS is simply how long the RAM waits between handling one instruction and the next. So CAS 9 waits 50% longer than CAS 6.

This is mainly a budget choice .... for many months the price difference between CAS 7 and CAS 8 and 9 was $0 - $10 making CAS 7 a no brainer. Today, it's bit bigger.

Note also that RAM may be able to run at lower latencies than it's rated. See THG RAM articles top pick up these gems.

I'd get DDR3-1600, lowr CAS ya can afford using avendor you're comfortable with. Beware of high heat sinks if ya gonna use aftermarket CPU coolers as tall RAM heatsinks often interfere with such.

G

Thanks! I was planning to OC from 2.66 to about 3.5 with an aftermarket cooler. If I OC do I OC the RAM and the CPU?
sorry if it's a dumb question, I'm just kinda new to this.