3 led's on an ati 4870x2

lamiarex

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2010
So i had this system for over a year now and was running decently up until a few days ago. Then i had to replace a cpu fan. Since i my cpu had been running hot for a while i decided to get a new performance cpu heat sink. I picked up a coolmaster hyper n520. So i reattached the mobo, the 4870x2 gfx card, and put my memory back in. When i booted up the card instantly had 3 led's for the no 6 or 8 pin connection and and the thermal issue led was on. So i took it out, put in two pnp nvida PCIe x16(one in at separate times, test one didn't work, test the other didn't work). It is rather strange that this would crop up now. Maybe i am drawing too much power with the new fan?

I have:

Asus P5E64 WS Evolution mobo,

BFG Tech GS-550 550W ATX12V V2.2 / EPS12V V2.8 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Power Supply

Diamond ATI 4870x2 GFX card

Intel® Core™2 Quad Processor Q9300 (6M Cache, 2.50 GHz, 1333 MHz FSB)

Other then that i had a sata HDD that isn't special and a dvd drive that isn't special.

I have a feeling that the mobo is causing the issue because when i power up the HDD spins up, and the fans spin up along with the cpu heatsink and fan combo.

Any one else have any ideas?