RAM speed questions

G

Okay, I'm slowly getting this, but I'm still not quite sure on how much of a difference each makes. So, sorry for the dumb questions.

I recently purchased an i5 750 2.66ghz, and an ASUS p7h55-m pro mobo. I plan to OC to 3.2 or so with an aftermarket cooler.

I need to order ram and I've gotten some help from the users on here and have pretty much come down to two choices for RAM.

G.SKILL PI 8GB

Newegg.com/product/product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231353

I'm either getting the 6GB Tri channel, or the 8GB Quad Channel.

The 6 GB runs at 6-8-6-20 and the 8GB run at 6-8-6-24
I have absolutely no Idea how much of a difference this makes...

So my question is...Would it be better for me to get the 8GB, or the 6GB.

Oh, and I plan on using this for gaming, video and audio editing, audio recording, and photoshopping. as well as the multitude of other things I use my computer for...

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

rmt098

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2010
well, size does matter doesnt it?
and well if u r goin to use it for photoshop other animation, i think the faster it is the better.
in that case, chk the Ghz
if its more than 1666 tht shud b gr8 for wht u r goina do

id pick the 8GB if ur mobo can support it :D
will help in the long run

G

I've read up a little more on the subject, and unfortunately I still can't make a decision.
I read that by getting more channels, i.e. tri channel or quad channel, it will increase the bandwidth...

I'm just confused if the 6-8-6-20 will run faster than the 6-8-6-24...or will the extra 2 gigs and extra channel make up for the +4 difference?

edit: I also just read that my p7h55-m pro mobo only supports dual channel...so that means neither of these will work doesn't it?

Would it be worth it to upgrade to something that does support tri or quad channel?