Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Triple channel DDR3 + Core 2 Duo Motherboard

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
December 5, 2010 3:57:56 AM

Is there any DDR3 Motherboard with triple channel that supports Core 2 Duo processors ?
December 5, 2010 10:32:28 AM

I don't think so, DDR3 was brought out at the same time as I3/5/7.
C2D can only use the 775 socket and that's strictly DDR2.
m
0
l
December 5, 2010 1:24:55 PM

CsG_kieran_2 said:
I don't think so, DDR3 was brought out at the same time as I3/5/7.
C2D can only use the 775 socket and that's strictly DDR2.


Not entirely true. I have a socket 775 motherboard that uses DDR3 that was out way before the first of the i7's. However to answer your question AngelOfDarkn there are no socket 775 motherboards that support triple channel memory. If you want triple channel you would have to get a socket 1366 motherboard. If you are fine with dual channel DDR3 memory check out one of the motherboards that use Nvidia's nForce 790i chipset.
m
0
l
Related resources
a c 717 V Motherboard
December 5, 2010 1:37:20 PM

kuroi hayate said:
Not entirely true. I have a socket 775 motherboard that uses DDR3...

Not entirely true either -> chronologically, yes there are NEW 775 MOBO with DDR2, DDR3 and or DDR2 & DDR3 {e.g. Asus P5QC} which are re-engineered DDR3 compatible.

None of the 775 socket CPUs have the Memory controller to 'process' Tri or Hexa Channel configurations; just Dual and Quad Channel configurations.
m
0
l
December 5, 2010 1:57:35 PM

jaquith said:
Not entirely true either -> chronologically, yes there are NEW 775 MOBO with DDR2, DDR3 and or DDR2 & DDR3 {e.g. Asus P5QC} which are re-engineered DDR3 compatible.

None of the 775 socket CPUs have the Memory controller to 'process' Tri or Hexa Channel configurations; just Dual and Quad Channel configurations.


Please correct me if I'm wrong here, but the way I understand it unlike the new socket 1366 and 1156 CPU's that have an integrated memory controller, the socket 775 CPU's do not. The memory controller is a part of the northbridge chipset. In this case the chipset manufacturer only needs to integrate a DDR3 controller into the chipset instead of a DDR2 one. Remember that unlike most socket 775 boards that all use one of Intel's chipsets, There are a few that use non Intel chipsets.

Also, once again feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, there are no "Hexa Channel" memory controllers. The socket 1366 boards have 6 memory slots, but only 3 channels. 2 slots share 1 channel. It's the same with dual channel memory, 2 slots share the same channel. I've seen server boards with dual channel memory and 8 slots, with 4 slots per memory channel. Now there are quad channel memory controllers/boards, look for AMD's socket g34 boards.
m
0
l
a c 717 V Motherboard
December 5, 2010 2:47:39 PM

MMC vs IMC - I never stated that ANY of the 775 had IMC. I'm discussing Apples and you're discussing Oranges. In my 'quote' the part 1 cearly suggests MMC and part 2 contrasts IMC to MMC.

Here's a semi coherent MMC vs IMC article -> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memory_controller

The Dual is just that, 'Quad' Channel only means 4 sticks; similarly Tri Channel is just that, 'Hexa' only means 6 sticks. I am NOT confused. Dual {Ch 0 + Ch 1} Tri {Ch 0 + Ch 1 + Ch 3}; each Channel can support 2 sticks. In the future, who knows. Multi-CPU can have 2 sets of Tri Channel or can support 12 sticks, etc - but to each CPU they are Tri Channel and 'partitioned'.
m
0
l
December 5, 2010 2:51:10 PM

jaquith said:
MMC vs IMC - I never stated that ANY of the 775 had IMC. I'm discussing Apples and you're discussing Oranges. In my 'quote' the part 1 cearly suggests MMC and part 2 contrasts IMC to MMC.

Here's a semi coherent MMC vs IMC article -> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memory_controller

The Dual is just that, 'Quad' Channel only means 4 sticks; similarly Tri Channel is just that, 'Hexa' only means 6 sticks. I am NOT confused. Dual {Ch 0 + Ch 1} Tri {Ch 0 + Ch 1 + Ch 3}; each Channel can support 2 sticks. In the future, who knows. Multi-CPU can have 2 sets of Tri Channel or can support 12 sticks, etc - but to each CPU they are Tri Channel and 'partitioned'.


Then i can put 6gb in a dual channel mobo cuz it has 4 sticks, right ?
m
0
l
a c 717 V Motherboard
December 5, 2010 3:27:30 PM

Can you, yes: 2X2GB + 2X1GB = 6GB; BUT READ your manual; some state same 'size' but ALL of them need to be the SAME Speed, CAS timings, Voltages, and Type {including chips/side}.

I would recommend Crucial not knowing more about what MOBO or PC you have now http://www.crucial.com/ read the 'caveats' listed. Personally, I only purchase the SAME EXACT RAM in matched-sets {never individual sticks to create a pseudo set} that is either Certified {QVL} listed or Tested per RAM Mfg -> Configuration online tools.
m
0
l
December 5, 2010 3:58:52 PM

jaquith said:
Can you, yes: 2X2GB + 2X1GB = 6GB; BUT READ your manual; some state same 'size' but ALL of them need to be the SAME Speed, CAS timings, Voltages, and Type {including chips/side}.

I would recommend Crucial not knowing more about what MOBO or PC you have now http://www.crucial.com/ read the 'caveats' listed. Personally, I only purchase the SAME EXACT RAM in matched-sets {never individual sticks to create a pseudo set} that is either Certified {QVL} listed or Tested per RAM Mfg -> Configuration online tools.


I can´t put a 3x2gb kit right ? is that for the triple channel stuff ? ..

I was thinking in that kit http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
0
l
a c 717 V Motherboard
December 5, 2010 5:06:37 PM

^That is a configuration that I would NOT recommend. First, you need to determine: 1. MOBO Memory Limit, 2. OS 32-bit has a 4GB limit {effective ~3.5GB}, MOBO memory type {DDR2 or DDR3}. DDR3 and DDR2 are not compatible.

Theoretically maybe, my experience is that 'some' Tri Channel kits work - sort of. The QVL often lists them, but frequently 2 of 3 sticks will 'work'. The undocumented configuration is complete the first Channel then try the 'odd' stick in one of the 2 remaining DIMMs. HOWEVER, my experience for this is for 1366/1156/AM3 and NOT any LGA 775.

Please POST your MOBO. If you don't know then use CPUz http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html {Mainboard tab}; IF you haven't decided on a MOBO then this is academic until you choose a MOBO -- you ALWAYS want to use Certified {QVL} RAM per MOBO Mfg or Tested RAM per RAM Mfg BEFORE buying.
m
0
l
!