Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Gaming ram, is there really a differience for the $$

Last response: in Memory
December 5, 2010 5:35:45 AM

Hoping I can get some feedback from some of you Pros on gaming ram. How does it really perform against the value ram that I currently have.

Right now I have the cheapie value Kingston 2x 2gb ddr3 1333 pc3-10700 (667 Mhz) I just have the dual channel set right now and I was wondering what my best bet would be when I decide to upgrade/or add ram. Will having 8 gigs of (gaming ram) which is probably at least 2x the price really make a substantial difference in everyday gaming performance compared to having my 8 gigs of value ram? I'm not going to pay an extra 150$ just to cut my load screen times in half but I'd be interested possibly if there is a decent fps increase. Is the only difference between the cheap stuff and higher quality (gaming ram) is the overclocking potential then I'm probably not that interested, unless overclocking memory will make a significant difference in gaming performance.

I'd like to have 8 gigs of ram soon, not sure if i'd be better off getting 2 more of the same sticks or if getting 2x4gig sticks of gaming ram will make a differience. I'd love to hear what you guys think, i'm open to different suggestions.

Here is what i'm working with:

Asus: P7P55D-E LX MOBO
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU 650 @ 3611.0 MHz
EVGA GeForce GTX 460
Kingston 2x 2gb ddr3 1333 pc3-10700 (667 Mhz)
Corsair 850XT PSU

More about : gaming ram differience

Best solution

a b } Memory
December 5, 2010 5:49:34 AM

Unless you're gaming includes MMORPGs (eg, WoW) with add-ons and Ventrilo, etc, you really aren't going to see much imporvement going to 8GB.

Unless you are overclocking, you will not see any change in gaming performance going from "value" to "gaming" ram. Faster ram can be an asset in overclocking the cpu. So if you want 8GB, just buy another kit of whatever you have.

Note that some motherboards don't play nicely/easily with ram when all 4 slots are filled . . . you may need to play with BIOS a bit. 2x4GB would ease the likelihood of issues, but the easiest build to get stable is 2x2GB.
December 5, 2010 10:03:10 AM

^ agreed. unless your doing video editing its not going to boost up much on the gaming side
Score
Related resources
December 5, 2010 9:46:07 PM

Best answer selected by zubba.
Score
December 5, 2010 9:46:35 PM

Thanks for your help, i'll wait a bit and get the same ram then, thx alot
Score
a b } Memory
a b 4 Gaming
December 6, 2010 12:35:18 PM

This topic has been closed by Maziar