Sign in with
Your question

SSD Page File advice

Last response: in Storage
May 2, 2012 6:09:12 PM

I have read differing opinions on how to configure the page file on an SSD, so I am coming here for advice.

I just built a new PC and I'm using a 256 GB Samsung SSD as my primary OS drive and a 2 TB HDD for media and other application storage. I have 16 GB of RAM and my page file is currently set to be managed by Windows as:
Minimum allowed: 16 MB
Recommended: 24507 MB
Currently allocated: 16338 MB

What would you recommend I set the page file size at? I have seen some people recommend disabling the page file entirely and others who insist that it should not be touched. Or is there a middle ground?

More about : ssd page file advice

a c 289 G Storage
May 2, 2012 6:30:53 PM

As I have written in other posts, this is a religious question. There are severally equally valid answers, and each has its strong proponents.

The main reason not to put the pagefile on the SSD is to save write wear-and-tear on the SSD. Some people say put it on a spindle, some say eliminate it altogether if you have enough memory.

My personal take is that the SSD is there to work for me and I want the fastest scratch space possible. My pagefile is on the SSD, and my temp directories are on the SSD. So it will wear out in six years instead of eight; big deal. It will be an antique in six years.

If you had a small SSD and were tight on space I would fiddle with limiting the size. With a 256 GB drive, just leave Windows to use it any way you want. With 16 GB of physical memory, I doubt that your system will do much paging!

Are you running Win 7? Earlier versions of the OS lack the TRIM command and can lead to gradual decreases in write performance.

Have fun.
m
l
May 2, 2012 6:50:24 PM

i disabled it to save space / not necessary with ssd+plenty of ram
m
l
Related resources
May 2, 2012 8:19:13 PM

the reccomended amount is 1.5 x the amount of ram. 16 gb
so your config should be 24507
m
l
a c 353 G Storage
May 2, 2012 10:08:30 PM

How about a middle of the road approach.
This is what I do and why:
.. I set the Min and max to the same value. I also Have 16 gigs of ram on i5-2550k and 8 gigs on my i5-750. Iā€™m not a lover of disabling it, but I do knock the size down, Both systems are min and max are set to 1024 mb (512 mb would be fine). There are some programs that will balk if it finds NO page file so that eliminates that problem. If this was too small, I would get a simple message saying "Hey dummy, out of memory" Have NOT received that yet. But if I did it would be a simple matter to just go in and up it. 24 Gig page file is just a total waste with 16 gigs of ram UNLESS you have a specific program that can use it (Very Few, but a couple).
As to where ā€“ With the size considerably reduced I normally put it on the SSD ā€“ HDD if I was short on space as only a small performance hit.

I have always done this, especially for HDD as it prevents the gaining and shrinking in size which for a HDD leads to fragmentation. For HDDs (I always partition) and right after win install I set the page file to D drive which butts it up against the partition.
m
l
a b G Storage
May 3, 2012 12:47:50 AM

I am not saying you should or should not disable your pagefile, but I have 6GB of ram, have my page file disabled since the moment I installed win7 on my SSD and never had a single problem. And that was like 3 years ago.
m
l
a b G Storage
May 3, 2012 2:02:44 AM

I have both moved the page file to a mechanical drive and removed the page file all together. I have personally had better success with the latter but I also did that on newer hardware with faster RAM (same amount, though). It's entirely circumstantial. There is no clear winner, only what you think works for you.
m
l
a c 353 G Storage
May 3, 2012 2:04:55 AM

blackhawk1928 - And that is true for the vast majority. However, on the off chance that an individual may run into an offending program - My normal recomendation is to just set it small and get an "out of memory" error as opposed to a BSOD, even though it is remote. If 1/2 a gig is putting a hurt on available SSD space, I would HIGHLY recommend getting a larger one PDQ.
m
l
November 7, 2012 8:22:31 PM

I just created a raid 0 with two sandisk extreme 120gb ssd's and to be on the safe side (cause of trim issues with raid) I decided to order a 40gb mushkin sata ii for $45 as my pagefile drive. I'm planning to use the system for games and maybe movie backup on my hdd for anytime viewing. So sense I'm using BD movies with such high capacities that extra 40gb ssd spacidlfic to pagefile should help things move along a bit faster and smoother I hope and increase the life of the raid drives :bounce: 
I still think you should have a pagefile just cause of memory dumps and the not so occasional system freeze. It's there for a reason
m
l
November 7, 2012 8:24:48 PM

I just created a raid 0 with two sandisk extreme 120gb ssd's and to be on the safe side (cause of trim issues with raid) I decided to order a 40gb mushkin sata ii for $45 as my pagefile drive. I'm planning to use the system for games and maybe movie backup on my hdd for anytime viewing. So sense I'm using BD movies with such high capacities that extra 40gb ssd spacidlfic to pagefile should help things move along a bit faster and smoother I hope and increase the life of the raid drives :bounce: 
I still think you should have a pagefile just cause of memory dumps and the not so occasional system freeze. It's there for a reason
m
l
November 7, 2012 8:25:26 PM

m
l
!