AGP ... i know, i know, but PLEASE!

Status
Not open for further replies.

quikslyver

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
i am using an Epox EP-8KMM3i-X VIA KM400 which can use up to AGP 8x with an Athlon XP 3000+ and 2 gigs of SDRAM ... when you regain your composure and pick yourself up off the floor, i'll continue ....

This is my secondary comp, and i do not anticipate being able to replace it for at least a year. My GeForce 4 TI4200 agp 8x 64M card fried; i put in an even older card to limp along till i could replace it, so i am currently using a GeForce 2 MX 400 ... it makes me want to cry when i actually see it typed out, hehe.

I ordered a Radeon HD 4650 AGP 8x as my last stand with this comp; it would post and get almost all the way logged in to the desktop before freezing the comp... after several calls / live chats, etc with different tech support (ATI, XFX, etc.) it seemed the powersupply was ok ( i actually even got another PS and installed it to double check), everything checked out, but they recommended flashing the bios, etc ... well Epox stopped supporting this board ... i know it's old, but remind me to buy from them again (<--please note heavy dripping sarcasm). Lastly, they said that this motherboard was made before PCI-E was made, and that the HD 4650 was basicly a PCI-E card converted to AGP format, which my computer doesn't like...

This leads me to my question; can anyone recommend the most stable, recent and (all things considered) decent performing NATIVELY AGP card?

I have no idea of the validity, but one commenter on the New Egg forums said the HD line didnt' play nice with the VIA chipset. I did uninstall the graphics drivers before removing the card and used CCleaner to clean up the registry before installing the new card, tried AGP hotfixes, etc. just to cover some obvious things. Both cards that were working are Geforce, i have nothing against ATI ( i use a HD 4870 in my main system, and it's great), but i'm leaning toward another Geforce, unless someone has a good reason not too?

I know this hardly seems worthy of your consideration, but i am actually still occasionally playing this comp with DDO ... at about 8 fps ... PLEASE help, i beg of you!

Solution
If you want a native agp card then try and land a used 9800 pro, x800, or a used 6800gt/ultra agp. The 6800gt/ultra pcie actually uses a bridge on the pci-e variants (mcm).

rickzor

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2007
You bought a card that doesn't fully functions on your system, and even if that chipset incompatibility is true you're not guilty and you should get what you've paid for!
I say that you should demand a replacement for a working unit.

quikslyver

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008

i had purchased them from Newegg and they were willing to work with me. i first returned it and got a second card, it did the same thing, then returned for a full refund when it became apparent that those cards weren't going to work.

Even though my primary card in my new system is a Radeon, i'm scared to try another in this older system. The cheapest AGP Geforce 4400 or 4600 i have found is like $90 i think; hard to justify spending that, but i may have to.

Status
Not open for further replies.