Sign in with
Your question

Unstable CPU Readings (Only At Idle)

Last response: in Overclocking
February 14, 2013 2:42:19 AM

Hey guys, I just noticed something very peculiar going on with my PC as of late: the Core temp readings are extremely erratic (jumping from 0 to 20'ish celsius), but only when its at idle. The temps seem to balance out and maintain a believable temperature degree when I stress test my CPU (Core Temp then reports a solid 34 degrees when under load). At first I thought this was a software issue, but AMD OverDrive reports the same peculiar activity.

My processor is an overclocked AMD FX-4100 Quad Core (Zambezi), OC'd to 4.2Ghz. Overall system stability doesn't seem to be an issue, as my PC has yet to bluescreen or shut down as a result of this "problem", even under vigorous stress testing and gaming. Is there a possible solution to this? If not, will this pose anything detrimental in the long run?
a b à CPUs
a c 125 K Overclocking
February 14, 2013 5:53:55 AM

Hi,

Have you tried monitoring the temps with Hardware monitor?

If Hardware monitor reports the same odd idle temp behaviour then my money would be on faulty temp sensors in the CPU (which is actually more common than you might think).

Does your BIOS give you a CPU temp reading (or core temp readings), if so you could also check with that to eliminate any software issue's.

m
l
a b à CPUs
February 14, 2013 7:44:43 AM

fx series chips have sort of "fake" core readings

my fx-6100 shows idle temps of 15-20c ( which is impossible cause ambient temp is 20-22c )

but when i start stress testing the core temp goes 15c--> 28c-->29-30-31....
m
l
February 14, 2013 11:48:17 PM

Rustyy117 said:
Hi,

Have you tried monitoring the temps with Hardware monitor?

If Hardware monitor reports the same odd idle temp behaviour then my money would be on faulty temp sensors in the CPU (which is actually more common than you might think).

Does your BIOS give you a CPU temp reading (or core temp readings), if so you could also check with that to eliminate any software issue's.

Just checked out the Hardware Monitor software readings -- they're the same buggy, jumpy numbers as with CoreTemp and AMD OverDrive. What's even more weird about this, is that I had just built this PC not long ago, and I specifically remember checking the CPU temp alot when I was overclocking, and it had never done this before.

My BIOS gives me a much more stable, believable temp reading (like 30 Celsius).

Quote:

fx series chips have sort of "fake" core readings

my fx-6100 shows idle temps of 15-20c ( which is impossible cause ambient temp is 20-22c )

but when i start stress testing the core temp goes 15c--> 28c-->29-30-31....

Interesting. Mine is more or less the same way, except it sometimes gets down to 1 Celsius or even 0, in which we all know isn't possible, lol. So perhaps this is just "normal behavior" by AMD standards?

If this is an actual problem I should be concerned about, would this be eliminated with buying a new CPU? I've been thinking about upgrading in a couple of months, so it would be nice if I could potentially kill two problems with one stone. Thanks for the expedient responses, guys.
m
l
!