How do I get computer to recognize my new hard drive

gsinco

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2010
I have Dell Studio XPS running Windows vista, I purchased a new Samsung 1 TB hard drive to replace the existing drive, (which I can use as a backup drive) and the plan is to install windows 7. The computer does not recognize the un-formatted new drive. How do I initialize and format it without the operating system installed. I did try starting the computer with the windows 7 disk but the computer still does not recognize the drive. Whats next??

gsinco

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2010
the only drive connected is the new un-formatted drive. There is no operating system on the drive. My question is how do I format the drive with nothing on it. Can I make a boot disk? not sure how to do it.
Thanks

lewbaseball07

Distinguished
May 25, 2006
try switching to ahci in bios in order for windows 7 to see the drive. it might of switched back to ide by default when you switched the drive out. sometimes the bios does weird stuff like that. also see if the bios sees the drive. if the bios doesnt see the drive then there could be something wrong with your drive. test it in another computer. listen for it to spin up...