Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Can I use this old hdd or buy a new one for i5 3570K build

Last response: in Storage
May 2, 2012 9:20:43 PM

Hello, I have been planning an i5 3570K build for a while now, but I have a question on the HDD. I'm currently using this from my Hp Paviliion:
WD
Size: 640 GB
Interface: SATA
Transfer rating: 3.0 Gb/sec
Rotational Speed: 7200 RPM
CD/DVD disc drive

Is ths good enough to re-use, or will it slow down my newer i5 build. I have noticed this hdd is 3.0 Gb/sec compared to some 6.0 Gb/sec. Is this a big deal? Will it slow down my gaming. Sorry, noob here.

More about : hdd buy 3570k build

Best solution

May 2, 2012 10:35:48 PM

It will be perfectly fine to use, as long as you only need 640gb. It won't slow down gaming, at least not noticeably. It's 7200rpm and anything over that you have to pay quite a bit more money for, or get a SSD (also a lot of money)
Just re-use the HDD. It will be fine :) 
May 2, 2012 10:45:34 PM

jrwizbang said:
It will be perfectly fine to use, as long as you only need 640gb. It won't slow down gaming, at least not noticeably. It's 7200rpm and anything over that you have to pay quite a bit more money for, or get a SSD (also a lot of money)
Just re-use the HDD. It will be fine :) 

Thanks!
m
l
Related resources
May 2, 2012 10:45:48 PM

Best answer selected by 123364.
m
l
a c 99 G Storage
May 2, 2012 10:50:38 PM

BUT, you WILL have to reinstall Windows to it.

Too many changes, violates the EULA.

You'd want a fresh install anyway!
m
l
a b G Storage
May 2, 2012 10:53:18 PM

I disagree, with any high end build, putting it all on mechanical drives defeats the purpose of building a fast PC. Would never use a mechanical HD for botting or main apps ever again.
m
l
May 2, 2012 10:56:16 PM

Well that is just opinion really. If you want your system to boot up in half the time, load textures 1/8 second faster in games, and open 20 more google chrome tabs quicker then by all means go for just SSDs. I personally like to have a HDD because they are large, and frankly, much cheaper than SSDs, and can be found anywhere really. The hard drive that I used in my last build was re-cycled from my previous Compaq. Worked just fine. It really all depends on your mindset and/or size of wallet :p 
m
l
a b G Storage
May 2, 2012 11:18:21 PM

I think it's false economics to re-use a HDD several years old. They don't last forever, you know. I'm guessing you've never had the joy of a HDD failure.
m
l
May 2, 2012 11:24:17 PM

False economics? So you're saying that it would be better to just get rid of it rather than use it while you can? Seems like a waste to me. When it fails..... so what? Then is when you get a new one. You can still recover your data once it fails, it just means it has stopped working, not that the digital data on the disk has been erased.
m
l
a b G Storage
May 2, 2012 11:44:16 PM

You listed a few bonuses of SSDs, however to me the biggest plus to SSDs is the speed at which it installs stuff. And yes it isnt always financially doable, but if it is, why not take advantage of it? Its faster all the way around, and thats what I pay good money for when I build or update my rig.
m
l
!