LQ310? Seidon 120M? Or just air?

ssstudio

Honorable
Feb 14, 2013
I am new to water cooling. I can have either Seidon 120M or new Zalman LQ-310 or CNPS10X extreme at similar prices. It is important that fans are quiet (or can be made quiet by replacement) and have good cooling for overclocking 4.5+ for 3570k.

I have overclocked for a while and I'd like to think I know what I'm doing, but on stock Ivy is outrageously hot (much more than I expected), it can reach 95C core at full if it's pushed really hard. I had to back down a bit to 4.2GHz. I would like to chop off 20~30 degrees there, for sure...

Suggestions? Thanks.

Edit: I should also mention that H40 is rt at similar price, H60 a bit more.

ssstudio

Honorable
Feb 14, 2013
Ha, I see. I am very new to anything other than air... should this post be moved somewhere?

Then what is the point of having closed loop coolers? I actually don't know an advantage they have over air cooling, and I thought I should try it out in this build.

Lutfij

Titan
If you want the tagline watercooling added to your pc config, then may I interest you in moving onto an entry level watercooling kit?

Other than that, the closed loop cooler aren't the way to go if you're trying to cool a hot headed ship. BTW FYI now that you know the chip runs very hot, the make of your chip may mean:
1| you can't go any higher
2| you have horrible case airflow
3| you don't know what you're doing with the voltages
4| if its 2 then you need to rethink your strategy of getting a CLC for keeping things in check.

i.e: Its a more fundamental problem causing your issue.