Computer turns on, can go into BIOS, but it won't boot

tuesday0108

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010
I just setup a computer and it won't boot.

When I power it on it checks memory then displays my computer information. Then below it says press F1 for setup or F12 for boot device. I press F1 to get into bios and it goes in.

While in BIOS it shows I have my hard drive set to the IDE3 slot, but it does not show my DVDROM drive. The DVDROM drive is supposed to be connected to the "FDD" plug on the motherboard right?

What do you guys think can be the problem? I know the CPU and Motherboard works because I've been using that same cpu/mobo. I just today received a new motherboard/cpu so I took that old one and put it into another case.

Shadrax

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2010

I know this might sound stupid but do you have the power cord connected properly? I can't imagine why else it wouldn't be able to identify the dvd drive. Check for a broken pin perhaps?

What type of new mobo did you get anyways?

tuesday0108

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010

I used to use a G31T-LM2 motherboard with E5200 chip.

Since I purchased a Gigabyte GA890GPA-UD3H and a Phenom II x4 955 I took out the old G31t and E5200 chip and put it into another case for my dad to use.

I'll have to go check the power cords to see if they're good. Also the two disk drives I'm using are way older than the motherboard/cpu I'm using.

Both the cdrom and hard drive are using molex and IDE connections.

Rogue77777

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2007
When you post a question, it would be nice if you include your full system specs. This way we can give you a intelligent reply instead of just guessing.

But since this is the only thing to go on:
While in BIOS it shows I have my hard drive set to the IDE3 slot, but it does not show my DVDROM drive.
Your IDE Hard Drive should be set to master and it should be in the 40pin primary IDE slot.

The DVDROM drive is supposed to be connected to the "FDD" plug on the motherboard right?
This should also be in one of the 40pin slots, not the FDD 32pin. Either set it to master & plug it in your secondary 40pin slot or set it to slave and connect it to the second connector on the same ribbon as your hard drive.

btw: FDD stands for Floppy Disk Drive (aka. Floppy Drive or Diskette Drive)

One more thing - Did you read all of your manuals, because I really like to know how you plugged a floppy ribbon cable into your DVDRom Drive without forcing it.

Rogue77777

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2007
Sorry just went to Gigabyte's web site.
That board has only IDE Connector. You need to make sure that your Hard Drive is set to master and your DVDRom Drive set to slave and plug them together on the same 40 pin ribbon cable. Plug the HD on the end & the Dvdrom in the middle.

tuesday0108

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010

Hmm I think my problem is I plugged the DVD into the FDD slot haha. I didn't read the manual. The motherbaord doesn't have a manual because it came in a pre built lenovo computer. I've searched around for the manual but they don't have it. It's a special motherboard made for Lenovo G31T-LM2.

I'm going to have to go reconnect the drives and see what's up.

tuesday0108

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010

Hey thanks for checking. The motherboard in question isn't the new Gigabyte one I just bought. The motherboard giving me trouble is my old ECS G31T-LM2 board. It too only has one IDE port.

As Tuesday0108 said - Plug IDE (40 Pin Long end between Middle connector) in to MB. Note stipped wire goes to Pin 1. Short end into HDD and Middle to CD/DVD drive. You can try setting jumpers as Tueday said, or set both to Cable select.

Set Boot order to DVD drive then HDD, then whatever Ie flopply.

Note I normally use a 80 wire/40Pin ribbon cable.

Additional comment - Depending on if you are NOT Irish or just plain unlocky
By plugging your DVD drive into a Floppy port you may have:
(1) killed your Floppy controller on the MB, or
(2) Made a "door stop: out of your DVD Drive