Solved

I installed a new Radeon 5830, and system wont post.

Hi guys,

I just got my new ATI Radeon HD 5830 GFX card today. I go to install it in my computer, and when i boot it up it will not post and my mobo gives 1 long beep with 2 short beeps. I think that this means that there is an error with the graphics card/monitor. I took my old card and put it back in and it posted and booted. I was getting the same error a few days ago with my old card. I'm not sure if it is the card or the mobo. Thanks in advanced for the help!
17 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about installed radeon 5830 system wont post
  1. What about your PSU? model? brand?

U can try your card on another computer to make sure whether the card is broke or not... :)
  2. The powersupply is a "Antec EarthWatts EA650 650W Continuous Power ATX12V Ver.2.2 / EPS12V version 2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC" and i would test the card on another computer, except all of the other ones in the house are laptops except for an old Macintosh II and a gateway that is 11+ years old =D
  3. Best answer
    are both your pci-e connectors attached to the card?
  4. uhhhhhh, not sure what you are asking, sorry. It is plugged in the same way as my old 4670. I have a PCI-Express x16 and a PCI-Express x8 slot that I used to run crossfire on with my 4670s.
  5. Hook up the power connectors and don't be an idiot I have this psu my self even though it is far from perfect.
  6. oh, I didn't know that there were a seperate set of power connectors that I had to hook up to the card. im used to my plug and play 4670s thanks guys!!!!! and sorry
  7. jpsil said:
    oh, I didn't know that there were a seperate set of power connectors that I had to hook up to the card. im used to my plug and play 4670s thanks guys!!!!! and sorry

They are there for a reason.
  8. just a quick question. The powersupply has cables running with 4 "port holes" but the cable with the GFX card has 3 pins. Do i just plug it into the cable with the 4 holes?
  9. jpsil said:
    just a quick question. The powersupply has cables running with 4 "port holes" but the cable with the GFX card has 3 pins. Do i just plug it into the cable with the 4 holes?

NOOOOOOOOO

The card uses dual 6 pin connectors never put in an eps 4pin or 8pin it will kill the card.

This pic above is a 6pin connector this is what you have to use.

The pic below is two 4 pin connectors they supply power to the cpu never use them on a card it will kill the card.

This is an eps 8 pin and has the same use as the 4 pin.

The pic below is an 8 pin for gpu use only

This is a pic of both connectors look like on some common high end cards.

10. ok, thanks. I was wondering if the cable running from the PSU, since it had 4 little circular holes was the correct place to plug the GFX 8 pin into. But i plugged it into the correct one because now im using my normal computer and installing the CCC drivers as we speak. Thanks again for your help. I was very confused earlier.=) The cable from the PSU is named p12 or p13 or something. there were a bunch of them. and the card seems to be working now.
  11. imap://johnpat@mail.silliman.net:143/fetch%3EUID%3E.INBOX%3E93?part=1.2&type=image/jpeg&filename=0315001539.jpg

I dont know if the picture will post, if it does sorry about the blur, damn cellphone cameras. this was the cable i was talking about.
  12. jpsil said:
    ok, thanks. I was wondering if the cable running from the PSU, since it had 4 little circular holes was the correct place to plug the GFX 8 pin into. But i plugged it into the correct one because now im using my normal computer and installing the CCC drivers as we speak. Thanks again for your help. I was very confused earlier.=) The cable from the PSU is named p12 or p13 or something. there were a bunch of them. and the card seems to be working now.

That is great news that it is running properly. :wahoo:
  13. jpsil said:
    imap://johnpat@mail.silliman.net:143/fetch%3EUID%3E.INBOX%3E93?part=1.2&type=image/jpeg&filename=0315001539.jpg

I dont know if the picture will post, if it does sorry about the blur, damn cellphone cameras. this was the cable i was talking about.

Got an error when I tried your link.

14. hope this works its imageshack
  15. jpsil said:
    http://img70.imageshack.us/i/0315001539.jpg/

hope this works its imageshack

Something is wrong with the link it won't let me select that text while every thing else is selectable.
  16. Interesting the link only works in quote, well any way that is a pic of a 4pin molex connector.
  17. Best answer selected by jpsil.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Radeon Graphics