Sign in with
Your question
Solved

9800GT OC'd

Last response: in Overclocking
February 14, 2013 1:00:22 PM

I was overclocking a 9800GT for a friend, he has AS5 on the card along with 2 fans so the card never reaches any temp above 70C. Then at around ~680MHz Core Clock the card's GPU usage on MSI Kombustor went to 122%!!! This was a split second but I saw it, THEN the GPU stayed at 301mhz core clock no matter what we tried, the memory speed went to 100MHz, and the voltage dived to v0.950. Nothing fixes the problem except reboot.

Any ideas why this happened? We were doing 10-15MHz jumps, and testing each setting for stability.. The card never had artifacts or shimmering.. Also we were using MSI Afterburner as the OC tool. And the voltage is at 1.0 we never touched the volts.

More about : 9800gt

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
February 14, 2013 1:05:03 PM

your overclock was unstable so the card went back to safe mode clocks...you can go back to regular clock speeds by restart as you said...it basically means your overclock was too high so lower it and test it with furmark until the drivers will not crash
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
February 14, 2013 1:07:23 PM

OVerclocking that card will not really offer any advantage with today's game.
m
l
Related resources
February 14, 2013 1:11:32 PM

Yeah, I know it won't do much.. It is for school we are having a overclocking competition. Thanks for the info.. Even after a year and a half of OCing bitcoin mining cards I still didn't ever have that happen to me.. Then again the cards were the 6xxx and the 5xxx gen... Thanks again
m
l
February 14, 2013 1:11:39 PM

Best answer selected by protogenic.
m
l
!