$1000 Rig to run multiple VMware machines

kcube

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010
I wanna built a new system with a budget of $1000-$1100.

I'll be buying the parts and building the system on my own. A config (with alternatives, if possible) with roughly the above budget is required as I'm from India and prices would vary here.

My requirements:

1] I wanna dual boot RHEL v5.3/v5.4 and Windows XP Pro SP3 / Windows 7 Ultimate.

2] It should have a 16:9 screen of 22" - 24" with native resolution of 1920*1080 and 2 ms response time.

3] Atleast 1TB HDD (SATA 3, Green & Silent if possible)

4] SATA 3 (6 Gbps) & USB 3 support on motherboard for future proofing.

5] A decent PSU so that I can upgrade my Graphics card later (no SLI or Crossfire though).

6] Low power consumption where possible.

I'll be using the system for the following:

1] Running multiple (2-4) VMware (LINUX) machines in a networked config on a Windows or Linux host.

2] Using it for casual gaming. Newer games (DX11) with acceptable resolution & frame rate and medium settings is fine.

3] Watching occasional HD Movies and listening to MP3s.

4] Downloading using utorrent & download managers.

5] Using for Office applications & surfing the net.

I already have the OS & softwares.

I'll be using my old speakers, optical drive, keyboard & mouse for the time being. But let me know about a decent wireless backlit (illuminated) keyboard & mouse for later upgrading.

Eagerly waiting for your valuable comments and reply as I wanna buy the system as soon as possible.

So baciscally, you're asking for an $800 build that does everything. That's going to be tough...

CPU/Mobo: X4 955 and Gigabyte GA-770TA-UD3 $228 after rebate
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 2x2 GB 1600 mhz CAS Latency 7 $120
GPU: HD 5770 $150
HDD: Seagate 7200.12 1 TB $90. There aren't any decent SATA III drives out yet. At least not ones that acutally use SATA III speeds.
Case/PSU: Antec 300 Illusion and Earthwatts 650W $130
HSF (if OC): Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus $35
Monitor: Asus 23.6" 1080p $190 after rebate

Total: $943 after rebates.

kcube

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010

Thanks for the reply. The build that you suggested seems to be decent.

Everything seems to be fine except for the following-

1] For the time being HSF is not required. It can be added later.

2] Asus monitor has speakers which are not required (as i've a 4.1 speaker set) and 5ms response which is more. A 2ms response is more desirable. So any other options are welcomed.

3] For the HDD, as you said "There aren't any decent SATA III drives out yet. At least not ones that acutally use SATA III speeds.", I can settle down for a 1TB - SATA 2 - 64MB Buffer HDD for now & get a new one with SATA 3 interface at a later stage.

Any more suggestions are welcomed.

kcube

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010
As I check in India, I'm able to find Antec 300 instead of Antec 300 Illusion & Antec TruePower New TP-650 instead of EarthWatts EA650.

Can anyone tell the difference between the 2 cases.

Also 'TP' series of PSU is more costlier than the 'EA' series. So some more suggestions are required in that area.

I'll do without the HSF for the time being.

I requset for some more options for the 24" (1080p, 2ms, HDMI) monitor.

Also please suggest me for a wireless backlit keyboard & mouse combo for future (6-8 months) upgrade.

Rest of the config above is accepted.

Waiting for more help & replies.

Thanks in advance.