Sign in with
Your question

Gigabyte Assassin 2 3930K OC

Last response: in Overclocking
February 14, 2013 2:21:16 PM

Hey guys, been a while and I am about to purchase a new system for audio/mixing work. In the past I considered overclocking but never did. I know NOTHING about it. Frankly I am scarred to fry my new comp. So I was wondering, first could you tell me if it would be easy to do so with this, this will be my system:

CoolIT ECO II-240 Extreme Performance Liquid Cooling System 240MM Radiator &
120 GB SAMSUNG 840 Series SATA-III 6.0Gb/s SSD - 530MB/s Read & 130MB/s
16GB (4GBx4) DDR3/1600MHz Quad Ch Kingston HyperX
Cooler Master Silent Pro M 80 Plus
GIGABYTE X79 G1 Assassin 2

Second, I am not looking for an off-the-wall OC here, may be 4, 4.2 max, with a calmer cycle at idle time. Is this possible? Is there an idiot proof step by step guide for this cpu and mobo combo?

More about : gigabyte assassin 3930k

a b à CPUs
a c 126 K Overclocking
February 14, 2013 2:27:22 PM

Hi,

The system spec's you've listed look good.

Overclocking X79 is easy and very easy to get a mild overclock like 4.2Ghz. It's really just a case of changing the CPU multiplier and Vcore (CPU voltage).

Here's a guide: http://www.overclock.net/t/1189242/sandy-bridge-e-overc...

It goes into more detail than you need for a mild overclock but the info is valid and useful all the same.
m
l
February 14, 2013 2:35:50 PM

hello omgitzfatal,

I have seen that guide actually but that's just it, since I know nothing of the process, I don't know what to weed out. If it is just the case of changing the CPU multi and the Vcore that would be great as it sounds easy enough. Are there other guides that are more specific to what you describe?
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
a c 126 K Overclocking
February 14, 2013 3:11:01 PM

Hey,

I find it easier to watch a video sometimes, rather than read a massive O/C guide so here's a fairly good video for you, the guy in the video is using a different motherboard but it's made by Gigabyte and will be similar to yours.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XX4P8YYUiGg

Just a warning though, he uses 1.470V which I and many others wouldn't consider safe on air cooling for 24/7 usage and is overkill for a 4.4Ghz overclock, when your overclocking try and stay below 1.4V and 75C.

At the end of the video he runs some benchmarks, however it's recommended that you stability test an overclock with a program like prime95 and monitor the CPU temps with a program like Hardware Monitor.
m
l
February 14, 2013 3:12:55 PM

Thanks a lot man, I will give it a shot. You know i would've just let cyberpower perform their overclock service but I keep on reading from others how they skip it even though you've paid for it. Kind of a slimy thing to do!
m
l
a b à CPUs
a c 126 K Overclocking
February 14, 2013 3:17:59 PM

dobsfactor said:
Thanks a lot man, I will give it a shot. You know i would've just let cyberpower perform their overclock service but I keep on reading from others how they skip it even though you've paid for it. Kind of a slimy thing to do!

Yeah I've read about other companies doing that aswell, maybe they think their customers won't notice or something... :pfff: 

Really disgusting service.

Anyway once you get comfortable with the BIOS and some of the settings, overclocking becomes easy and so theirs really no point in paying someone else to do it :) 
m
l
February 14, 2013 3:28:35 PM

Thanks again. I was stuck on deciding on that, but now it is clearer :) 
m
l
February 14, 2013 3:44:42 PM

I had a question, would you go with the assassin or GIGABYTE X79-UP4 Intel X79?

OR Asus?

I've been using Gigabyte for years, no issues ever. But I have never OC'ed either so...
m
l
February 14, 2013 3:50:52 PM

Sorry for the extra post but I read the assassin has a button for moderate OC'ing to 4ghz. If that is true that is perfect for an idiot like me :) 
m
l
a b à CPUs
a c 126 K Overclocking
February 14, 2013 4:23:31 PM

dobsfactor said:
Sorry for the extra post but I read the assassin has a button for moderate OC'ing to 4ghz. If that is true that is perfect for an idiot like me :) 

Yeah some of the high end boards have automatic overclocking buttons, I believe MSI have a similar feature called OC Genie...

Read up on some reviews if your not sure which board is best :) 
m
l
February 14, 2013 4:46:18 PM

well I did more reading and also emailed with tech support. The assassin was perfect except for the fact you can't turn the onboard audio off. So frustrating! Why Oh Why
m
l
a b à CPUs
a c 126 K Overclocking
February 14, 2013 4:49:22 PM

dobsfactor said:
well I did more reading and also emailed with tech support. The assassin was perfect except for the fact you can't turn the onboard audio off. So frustrating! Why Oh Why

Wow really? So if you install a dedicated sound card you can't use it because the onboard audio can't be disabled? :pt1cable: 
m
l
February 14, 2013 4:53:00 PM

you can only disable it in Windows lol nuts I tell ya! We all know windows disabling doesn't free up resources or prevent conflicts, etc. So it makes the board useless for people like me looking to streamline with the lowest latencies and freed resources.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a c 126 K Overclocking
February 14, 2013 4:58:15 PM

dobsfactor said:
you can only disable it in Windows lol nuts I tell ya! We all know windows disabling doesn't free up resources or prevent conflicts, etc. So it makes the board useless for people like me looking to streamline with the lowest latencies and freed resources.

Ah I see, well I guess that must be important for your line of work. The search continues! :lol: 
m
l
February 14, 2013 5:04:56 PM

Haha yes! I am probably going with the GB x79 UP4, looks good. I'll just have to do the subtle OC myself or not at all :/ 

*begrudgingly* damn assassin 2
m
l
!