Sign in with
Your question
Solved

MSATA on Ivy Bridge, Worth It?

Last response: in Storage
May 2, 2012 11:51:41 PM

Hi All,

I have some questions on using an mSATA drive in my motherboard.

I'm building a system based on an Ivy Bridge I7 and a Z77 Gigabit motherboard. I've spec'd a 240gb SSD as my primary drive with a 2.5 TB conventional as my other drive(s). This motherboard supports an mSATA drive directly on the motherboard to use as a cache and such for the new SMART technology.

My questions are:
1) Does this mSATA drive become my primary (C) drive where I would install the operating system, etc?
2) If it does, is there a way to use the 240GB SSD as the OS drive and still get the benefit of the SMART and such?
3) Does it really speed up the other drives by a significant amount?
4) Is it worth the extra money?

Thanks for reading,

Michael

More about : msata ivy bridge worth

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
a c 503 G Storage
May 3, 2012 12:52:15 AM

mdm172 said:
My questions are:
1) Does this mSATA drive become my primary (C) drive where I would install the operating system, etc?

No, the mSATA drive is the cache drive for a HDD with an operating system installed on it.
So your HDD would be your C: drive.

2) If it does, is there a way to use the 240GB SSD as the OS drive and still get the benefit of the SMART and such? said:
2) If it does, is there a way to use the 240GB SSD as the OS drive and still get the benefit of the SMART and such?

No. Just use the SSD as your O/S drive and the HDD as a data/storage/backup drive.

3) Does it really speed up the other drives by a significant amount? said:
3) Does it really speed up the other drives by a significant amount?

Using an mSATA drive to cache a HDD does speed up performance but it does not compare to a large SSD (240GB) with an O/S installed on it.

4) Is it worth the extra money? said:
4) Is it worth the extra money?

No, forget about mSATA and just go for the 240GB SSD and 2.5TB HDD.
May 3, 2012 2:54:29 AM

Thanks Derick47,

This is my first build in 5 years and one thing that never changes is the ability to get sucked up in the latest techno-babble from the component companies. I'm taking your advice and going with my original build.

Thanks Again,

Michael
May 3, 2012 2:56:25 AM

Best answer selected by mdm172.
!