Sign in with
Your question

Strange issue with wireless adapter

Last response: in Wireless Networking
April 26, 2010 5:35:00 PM

This is my first post and it is out of exasperation.

I sent my Acer 3810TZ in for a screen repair and received it back this last week. They reinstalled Windows 7 (EDIT: I have no idea why.) Home Premium so I was working from scratch. Prior to sending it in my wireless adapter (Intel Wifi Link 1000 BGN) worked fine connecting for my two main functions – a home network and a school network.

Now, however, I have major problems getting any connectivity at all. At home, I can only connect if I am very close to the router. If I leave the room the router is in with my laptop the connection is lost. At school I have double and triple checked the security setting but cannot get a connection. The strange thing is that in both cases the laptop detects the SSIDs and there is usually 4-5 bars of connectivity. I ran Xirrus Wifi Inspector at school and the network was detected easily.

I know for certain that it is not an issue with security settings and according to Windows the hardware is all working normally and drivers are up to date. I have successfully connected via ethernet cable with my home and school networks. Also, I have turned off all firewall settings but this has not changed anything either.

Has anyone experienced a similar situation? I doubt it is a weak adapter since I can detect these networks fine. Thanks for your time.
April 26, 2010 6:27:54 PM

dhistorian said:
This is my first post and it is out of exasperation.

I sent my Acer 3810TZ in for a screen repair and received it back this last week. They reinstalled Windows 7 Home Premium

That's about where I got lost - of all the screens I've ever replaced, I've never needed to reinstall the OS yet! Anyway, it's done now and it seems the adapter might need reconfiguring to align the channel to that the router is broadcasting on. Connect by ethernet to find that out and change your adapter accordingly. If home and school networks both worked before, it's probably only necessary to do this once.

m
l
April 26, 2010 6:31:04 PM

Agreed, it was very annoying and without explanation. I will realign and report back.
m
l
Related resources
April 28, 2010 5:33:33 AM

Thanks for the suggestions but I still have the same issue. The channel issue is not the problem. I made sure the two were the same but no luck. Also, the firewall on the router is not the problem because there are other laptops in the house that work fine. It is a very mysterious and frustrating situation. Acer support has now told me they do not know what the problem is and suggest I do a system restore, which of course was one of the first things I tried. To restate in a different way (hopefully making it clearer), I have no issue detecting wireless signals. The issue is with actually connecting to these networks. When I click to connect to my hoem network, it attempts and then gives the "Windows was unable to connect with DGH (my SSID). When I try to troubleshoot through windows the adapter gets reset and then it tells me to reset my access point. I do so, but to no avail. The final Windows advice is that something is wrong with either my adapter or access point (duh). It is not the access point because other units (another laptop and a PS3) connect just fine - in other words the problem is confined to my laptop. And again, I connect just fine if I am in the room (about a 10 foot radius) of the router.

I opened up the laptop tonight to make sure the wifi adapter was secure, and it is. Windows detects no problems with the hardware. I'm just shooting in the dark here, hoping someone else has come across this strange phenomenon.
m
l
April 28, 2010 7:28:16 AM

One more thing. Even though connecting close to the router works, the connection is usually of low quality (1mbps - 5.5 mbps). The other laptop in the room gets a much better connection.
m
l
April 28, 2010 7:41:36 AM

dhistorian said:
One more thing. Even though connecting close to the router works, the connection is usually of low quality (1mbps - 5.5 mbps). The other laptop in the room gets a much better connection.

The ultimate process of elimination would be to disable your adapter and use a wireless dongle for a few hours to see if that improves things. If it does, your present adapter is at fault and if it doesn't I'm out of ideas but I can't think anything else but equipment failure is an option.
m
l
Anonymous
April 28, 2010 9:00:26 AM

Quote:
your router is a firewall if you add windows ad-aware AGV and others you have TOO many firewalls and you will be lucky to download your E-mail---I had this problem---run only 1 firewall the best you can get

Makes sense to only use one firewall product, except that AVG and ad-aware are not firewalls.
m
l
June 27, 2011 3:11:18 AM

dhistorian said:

I'm having the exact same issue as you describe, but with a different computer. I just bought a Lenovo Thinkpad Edge E520, Windows 7 (64-bit); the wireless card is the same (Intel WiFi Link 1000 bgn). The wireless will find the network, and even connect, when in the same room as the router, but as soon as I round the corner, it drops. I've been on the phone with Lenovo support *many* times, and I've tried uploading drivers, uninstalling the Lenovo software for managing wifi networks (in case it was competing with Windows or something)... I tried resetting my router... nothing. I have two other laptops that have no problem, and when I took it to a coffee shop it could find the networks, but not connect.

Did you find a solution to this problem? It's just batty...
m
l
July 5, 2011 4:30:17 PM

CBjorndahl said:
I'm having the exact same issue as you describe, but with a different computer. I just bought a Lenovo Thinkpad Edge E520, Windows 7 (64-bit); the wireless card is the same (Intel WiFi Link 1000 bgn). The wireless will find the network, and even connect, when in the same room as the router, but as soon as I round the corner, it drops. I've been on the phone with Lenovo support *many* times, and I've tried uploading drivers, uninstalling the Lenovo software for managing wifi networks (in case it was competing with Windows or something)... I tried resetting my router... nothing. I have two other laptops that have no problem, and when I took it to a coffee shop it could find the networks, but not connect.

Did you find a solution to this problem? It's just batty...

Hello, I'm having the same problem in a school and I just bought 120 computers with this adapter. Most work but some have occasional problems. I've tried every thing anyone suggests: Turn off all power stuff, reset winsock, reset tcp/ip, reset server, firewall... I get nothing.
m
l
July 7, 2011 1:06:08 PM

I figured it out! At least for me... I hope this will also work for you. I had to *disable* the Ethernet adapter by going to 'Network and Sharing Center' > 'Change adapter settings', then selecting the Local Area Connection and disabling it. Now it works. It's not the best wireless card out there -- airport (on my old Mac) is a much more robust system -- but it works.

Does anyone know why this would happen? Hope this helps.
m
l
!