Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

I7 3770k Temps

Last response: in Overclocking
Share
February 14, 2013 5:45:52 PM

I finally got my setup running and all seems to be well. I have not overclocked. The i7 seems to be around is 34 degrees or lower on idle (RealTemp), up to a maximum 74 degrees flat out rendering or prime95.

I just wondered if these temperatures seem to be OK given my setup?

Thanks in advance for any advice

More about : 3770k temps

a c 126 K Overclocking
February 14, 2013 5:50:17 PM

Hi,

Your temps under load are just ok, I usually recommend a max temp of 75C under load, so you haven't really got any room for overclocking there.
February 14, 2013 5:57:14 PM

Rustyy117 said:
Hi,

Your temps under load are just ok, I usually recommend a max temp of 75C under load, so you haven't really got any room for overclocking there.


Thanks for the reply

I am thinking of putting some new thermal paste on the CPU sometime, as I did have to turn the cooler round (Before running the CPU) after I realized it would not fit in the case the way i planned, I wonder if this may have made the supplied paste to be slightly uneven.
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
February 14, 2013 6:00:59 PM

The paste is probably fine, its worth checking though. I am guessing that you don't have very good case ventilation or you heatsink is not sufficient. I am running my 3770k at 4.5ghz with a modified Zalman 320 h2o cooler and at the lowest fan settings, my temps are in the 70s C fully loaded. What are your full system specs?
February 14, 2013 6:09:16 PM

maestro0428 said:
The paste is probably fine, its worth checking though. I am guessing that you don't have very good case ventilation or you heatsink is not sufficient. I am running my 3770k at 4.5ghz with a modified Zalman 320 h2o cooler and at the lowest fan settings, my temps are in the 70s C fully loaded. What are your full system specs?



My system: i7-3770K Asus P8Z77-M PRO Sapphire Radeon HD7750 Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB Arctic freezer 7 pro rev.2 ANTEC One + Plus 1 front case fan. My CPU had to be mounted the opposite way to what I would have liked, it is just below the top exhaust fan in the case. Please see my previous post for a picture. Thanks

a c 126 K Overclocking
February 14, 2013 6:16:12 PM

maestro0428 said:
The paste is probably fine, its worth checking though. I am guessing that you don't have very good case ventilation or you heatsink is not sufficient. I am running my 3770k at 4.5ghz with a modified Zalman 320 h2o cooler and at the lowest fan settings, my temps are in the 70s C fully loaded. What are your full system specs?


^ Agreed.

I doubt the thermal paste is the problem unless it's been applied really badly.

Having a look at a review for the Arctic freezer 7 pro rev.2 reveals it to be a pretty mediocre cooler so I expect your temps are high because of this and the less than optimal air flow in your case (if I've understood it correctly).
February 14, 2013 6:39:19 PM

Rustyy117 said:
^ Agreed.

I doubt the thermal paste is the problem unless it's been applied really badly.

Having a look at a review for the Arctic freezer 7 pro rev.2 reveals it to be a pretty mediocre cooler so I expect your temps are high because of this and the less than optimal air flow in your case (if I've understood it correctly).


I am considering changing the Freezer Pro for a Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO, which seems to get decent reviews for the price. I wonder if it will fit in my case with my setup
though.

a c 126 K Overclocking
February 14, 2013 6:46:24 PM

strangesteve said:
I am considering changing the Freezer Pro for a Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO, which seems to get decent reviews for the price. I wonder if it will fit in my case with my setup
though.


What case do you have?
February 14, 2013 6:49:53 PM

Rustyy117 said:
What case do you have?


ANTEC One. But the Asus P8Z77-M PRO seems to be an odd layout compared to some systems.
a c 126 K Overclocking
February 14, 2013 6:58:43 PM

Ah yeah you did mention that before (how did I miss that...)

Anyway going by the dimensions and the fact other people have successfully installed the 212 evo in the Antec one I would say it'll fit.

The mobo looks like a pretty standard MicroATX board to me.
February 14, 2013 7:12:42 PM

Rustyy117 said:
Ah yeah you did mention that before (how did I miss that...)

Anyway going by the dimensions and the fact other people have successfully installed the 212 evo in the Antec one I would say it'll fit.

The mobo looks like a pretty standard MicroATX board to me.


I put together an i5 with the non pro version of this board, and the layout was a lot easier to arrange, different case though, a Sonata IV.
a c 126 K Overclocking
February 14, 2013 7:19:15 PM

strangesteve said:
I put together an i5 with the non pro version of this board, and the layout was a lot easier to arrange, different case though, a Sonata IV.


Ah right ok, well the 212 evo should work fine with your current mobo and case, I would just make sure you install the EPS 4/8 pin before the cooler ;) 
February 14, 2013 7:43:37 PM

Rustyy117 said:
Ah right ok, well the 212 evo should work fine with your current mobo and case, I would just make sure you install the EPS 4/8 pin before the cooler ;) 


Thanks for the info

Do you think the 212 would be more efficient with my setup?
a c 126 K Overclocking
February 14, 2013 7:50:55 PM

strangesteve said:
Thanks for the info

Do you think the 212 would be more efficient with my setup?


Yep it's a more efficient cooler and very good considering the low cost.
February 14, 2013 7:52:27 PM

Rustyy117 said:
Yep it's a more efficient cooler and very good considering the low cost.


Thanks for the help
February 23, 2013 3:11:04 PM

Fitted the 212 evo today

I have overclocked to 4223.80 just using AI Suite. My temperatures are now at a maximum 76 degrees flat out with Prime which is less heat than I was getting without overclocking with the other CPU cooler. So I am happy enough with that.

Thanks all for the advice
!