Sign in with
Your question

RAM capacity

Last response: in Memory
December 5, 2010 8:06:54 PM

Hey Tom's Hardware. I was wondering if I could get a little clarification. I currently have 6 GB of Corsair TR3X6G1600C9 XMS3 installed on an Asus P6T. With all the drops in prices for memory, I was looking to possibly upgrade for the future since it is so cheap right now. However, I looked on one of the specs for the asus p6t from the asus website and noticed that it said it only supports this ram for the first three slots. I was wondering if anyone knew if I could just add three more 2GB sticks to the A2, B2 and C2 slot or will it not work? And if it won't work, what memory can I use to upgrade and is it ok to mix and match memory sticks? Thanks for the advice!

More about : ram capacity

December 5, 2010 9:19:57 PM

You can install 6 sticks, But if you install only 3 in slots A2, B2, and C2 it will not boot. If you mix RAM it will work at the slowest speed. IE if you install 3 DDR3-1333 and 3 DDR3-1600 all will run at 1333.

When you add RAM just match the speed, timings and voltage and you should not run into any problems.

The board supports 12 Gigs so you can add another 6 and be fine.

1Haplo
m
l
a b } Memory
December 6, 2010 6:58:16 AM

The mobo has possibility to support that memory only on the first 3-slots?
To mix memory, you must get same brands & type, speed, and timing to better chance working together, but, since your memory can only work at first 3-slots, Well I'm afraid to say that mixing memory is going to be at good. My best suggestion is Make sure at least it's in the compatibility list to begin with, Pick same brand (Corsair), speed, and timing,then adjust proper voltage to it. I guess you're gonna use a different type of Corsair memory that's compatible in the slots A2,B2,C2.

Preferably, same chipset, Micron with Micron, Elpida w/ Elpida, etc.
m
l
Related resources
December 6, 2010 10:36:37 PM

andrern2000 said:
To mix memory, you must get same brands & type, speed, and timing to better chance working together, but, since your memory can only work at first 3-slots, Well I'm afraid to say that mixing memory is going to be at good. My best suggestion is Make sure at least it's in the compatibility list to begin with, Pick same brand (Corsair), speed, and timing,then adjust proper voltage to it. I guess you're gonna use a different type of Corsair memory that's compatible in the slots A2,B2,C2.

The last time I looked at the memory spec sheet provided from Asus online for the P6T, I am pretty sure it either said that 3 or 4 slots only were provided for my memory. I thought that was kind of strange. Maybe I am wrong. Once I find the spec sheet again for the P6T, ill post up an image so that maybe you guys can all see if I am reading it wrong. I thought the board was supposed to support up to 24gb so I guess I just assumed that it could take in any memory.
m
l
December 6, 2010 10:57:18 PM

andrern2000 said:

I was able to find the link. P6T Compatibility. While looking at it, I see that my RAM that I bought is not even listed. But I do know that my RAM does work. Anyone know why this could be? And does this mean that I could add another 6 gb of the same RAM? Thanks again.
m
l
a b } Memory
December 8, 2010 12:18:59 AM

Hmm, because your memory works, then it means it's compatible with your motherboard, even are untested yet.

In the list, I see:
CORSAIR TR3X6G1600C8D(XMP)Ver2.1
yours is
CORSAIR TR3X6G1600C9D

Judging from product number, maybe this is the same product, or have similarity in both. The mobo can handle CAS8, it's putting more strain to mobo than CAS9. So if it can handle that, it can also handle CAS9.

So: You can; Well basically get the exactly same product as yours now. Don't choose different brands, if you can.
m
l
!