Problems Arising During Gaming

kidgogeta

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2010
I have a BFG GTS 250 . I finnally got my new computer built from scratch and it really does fly. The only problem is when I start to play games. Actually, the only game I play is Heroes of Newerth. Confident in being able to play at max settings I started my match. Within the first two minutes i got what I could only describe as artefacts or tiny dots all over my screen that would not go away until i restarted the computer. Disapointed i lowered shader and shadows to low settings. The game seemed to run fine for 40ish minutes until again I got some bumpy stuff on my screen and a few seconds of video cut off. What bugged me the most was when I used using the program speedfan try to find an overheating issue the video cards temp never passed the low 50s.Im wondering if anyone familiar with my video card can confirm that my video card is really this limited? HON is absolutely not a high end game.

samsung 1tb 7200 rpm
phenom x4 955
4 gb ddr3 ram
antec earthwatts 650w

SV_Bubbles

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010
As long as you've got all the power pins in your card and have tried a different driver version along with using driver sweeper, I'd call it defective.
You may want to try another game or 2 just to concrete it.

king game

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2009
thats a great build ya got there your problem must be the drivers update your drivers.

and what resoultion are you playing at.

try games like Crysis,Far cry 2 and then come to a decision
your card is really stable i use a 9800Gt i can play GTA4 At 30FPS Avg after upgrading my processor

kidgogeta

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2010
I can confirm that when i originally got the computer running Installed a driver from the cd that came with the graphics card. Then, without uninstalling that one I also installed the one that was recommended from the Nvidea site. I have little knowledge so I dont know if that could have been a problem. I've since installed driver cleaner ran it and safe mode and cleaned it. The only driver I have now is the recommended one from NVIDEA. I have no idea if I need any of the drivers that came with my asus m4a77td motherboard. Also when I check driver sweeper in safe mode there are only drivers located under Nvidea pshyx and display but not under chipset. Is that a problem?

kidgogeta

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2010
Let me just compile all the information.

1. Ran OCCT GPU test and used speedfan during gaming. Highest temp was 52c.

2. When running NVIDEA driver 196.21 I get about a minute of gaming till severe graphical glitching that would NOT go away until I restart.

3. I tried 191.7, an older driver. Using that and all max settings the graphical glitching was reduced from severe to some spiking and minor glitching every few minutes.

4. I do not have ANY drivers installed except for in NVIDEA - imaging and NVIDEA - Physx. Under NVIDEA - chipset there is nothing.

I'm really hoping its not defective. But could a defective card really suddenly run a lot smoother just because I switched to an older driver? Surely this is a problem caused by my current driver or my lacking of a driver? I don't know much so correct me if I'm wrong.

That is a good driver so check your volts with speed fan or pcwizard then check them in the bios to make sure on the 12v source. Also take a look at the card to make sure nothing has broken off while being installed. If the soldier point is smooth then good but if it looks as though something is missing and rough then it isn't good. If every thing checks out look into an rma of the card. From what you have described it is the card so volts and the card its self is ware to start looking.

kidgogeta

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2010
Half of the warranty sticker is ripped. I know its my fault but it came off so easily It almost feels like Nvidea tries to make you ruin your warranty. I might just stick this card into a build I'll be making for my uncle. It supports 1920x 1080 easily it problems only arise when gaming which I know he wont be doing.

Should I go this route could anyone recommend an equal performing or maybe a little better performing ATI gpu? After all these problems I would really rather never have anything to do with Nvidea again.

king game

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2009
get ati5770 getting a 512mb or 1gb depends on you

if you play games like gta 4 you will need 1GB

or you can go with 5750 which is a little slower and gives 5-10 fps lesser in games

the Ati 5770 is energy efficient and good at gaming and gives performance a little less than GTX260.
its a cool card so it gives your other parts near your gpu freedom!