Should I reorganize/change the direction my case fans?

bdonedge

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2009
Hey guys I have a mid tower Cooler Master that I have modded with an extra intake fan over the GPU, I have an Thermal take 120 mm exhaust fan in the rear that is extremely powerful and a front 80mm intake fan. For as loud as this whole thing is, I feel as though my components should be a lot cooler than they are. I don't have an aftermarket cooler but my case stays a little hotter than I think, especially for having a good airflow case with lots of holes.

Whats the best way to keep the cooling in my case and CPU down? I was considering taking my exhaust fan and making it intake seeing as the RPM's are extremely high and pushes a lot of air and the case has a lot of holes, therefor the air has someplace to go. Would this hurt it, due to pressure just in case something isn't right?

are exhaust fans, necessary?

Well I'd try to swap the Thermaltake 120mm exhaust fan and like you said making it the intake, your case may not have enough airflow. Even if you are experiencing higher temps, you could just swap it again. Exhaust fans are necessary to help the air flow out of the case, I suppose not 'necessary' but they help a lot.

MRFS

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2008
If there is a fan grill in the bottom panel,
any fan(s) there should also be intake.

Another basic rule of thumb: hot air rises, cold air falls.

A quick-n-dirty test is simply to remove the side panels,
and record the temperature changes (if any).

If the problem is ambient room temperature,
then you may not be able to do much with fans:
a better solution, in that circumstance, is to install
air conditioning in that room.

MRFS

bdonedge

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2009

Does airflow come from more intake, or better exhaust? I guess that's where I'm getting confused. I suppose the only real way is to test and turn it around just to see. The exhaust fan pushes so much air

Deadstick50

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
By default pulling alot of air out the back of the case will try to pull an equal amount in from the front. Alot of heat problems fall back on how well organized the wiring is inside the case, and also where the hard drives and DVD drives are positioned.

If the inside of you case is well organized, then I would say play with fan positions, but also keep in mind, how much air a fan moves isnt just about how many RPMs it runs. Ive got a Thermaltake fan that runs 2000 rpm and puts out 79 cfm, but then Ive got a Scythe that runs 1900 rpm and puts out 110 cfm.

Dead

bdonedge

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2009
Yeah, my cables are as well organized as I can get. I really need to upgrade to a full tower. I need a new CPU heat sink as well. I just am saving for a new 24" monitor first before I try to get these things

bdonedge

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2009
I found a couple of case mods I can do to make my cables go around the back so the cables will be out of the way, and I'm adding another intake fan and turning my exhaust fan all the way up. Recommendations for good heat sinks and fans for AM3 socket that will fit in a mid tower ATX case?

TRENDING THREADS