Solved

Whats the Holdup?

I recently accomplished my first build around christmas time, went smooth, but I can't say after 3 months have past that I would buy all the same parts.. My old alienware I got back in 04 was much faster responding for many many years and has managed to survive easily 2 years of hardcore gameing with much much neglect within the case and inside the system... Proud to say its held up to this moment even though it was a p4 3.2 w/ 1gb 400mhz / x800pro / p4c800e deluxe I don't see how it could stand the abuse/time without ending up bursting into flames or just breaking.

I come with this question, What would be the biggest upgrades/improvements I could purchase or possible do to cure my impatience feeling I get watching a Loading Bar poke along. If you know what piece of hardware is bottlenecking if possible.

Heres the Build:

GRAPHICS CARD = XFX HD-577A-ZNFC Radeon HD 5770 (Juniper XT) 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card - Retail

MOTHERBOARD = ASUS M4A79XTD EVO AM3 AMD 790X ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

CPU = AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor Model HDZ955FBGIBOX - Retail

RAM = G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL - Retail

CASE = Rosewill Wind Knight Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case with pre-installed 2x 120mm Fan

OPTICAL = Sony Optiarc 24X DVD/CD Rewritable Drive Black SATA Model

HARD DRIVE 1 = SAMSUNG Spinpoint F1 HD753LJ 750GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive -Bare Drive
HARD DRIVE 2 = (off the old alienware system) Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 ST380013AS 80GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache SATA 1.5Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive -Bare Drive

POWER SUPPLY = Tuniq Potency PSU-POT650-BK 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Retail

Operating System = Windows Xp Professional 64bit

Also I have many fans installed on along with the ones that came with chassis.

Temps during low Usage like now read
CPU = 35C
MB = 27C
GPU = 33
1st HD = 23C
2nd HD (the old one) = 32C

Jw if those are normal or need some attention because im usually playing Battlefield Bad Company 2 which I know can be stressful on the hardware and the player haha.
10 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about whats holdup
  1. Best answer
    Your single biggest upgrade to make load times faster, is to purchase a newer / faster hard drive. I would first start with the Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB, which is one of the fastest hard drives you can purchase (outside of a SSD). If your pockets are a little deeper, you can't go wrong with adding a SSD to your current line up, which will speed up those load times.... Kingston SSDNow V Series SNV425-S2/64GB 2.5" 64G SSD or Intel X25-M Mainstream SSDSA2MH080G2R5 2.5" 80GB

You have the CPU power (maybe look to overclock, if not already), so your older hard drives are holding your system back.

edit: Side Note: I would look to make the jump to Windows 7 64-bit sometime in the near future, as XP 64-bit was never the greatest support 64-bit OS.
  2. I would start with the Windows 7 upgrade. It's a huge difference right there. Also, are you booting from the 750 GB HDD or the 80 GB? The 80 GB drive is going to be a lot slower already, so if you're using that to hold the OS and apps, you're losing a lot of speed right there.

After that, I would definitely get the HDD/SSD mentioned above. I can personally attest to the Spinpoint F3's speed.

If you're a gamer, or run a lot of apps, an 80 GB SSD may not be big enough. Here's a good, larger one: Corsair Nova 128 GB. Keep in mind when determining the size of the SSD you need that SSDs like to have at least 20% free space. Also, you don't want to be storing data on the SSD. Use it only for the OS and applications.
  3. No one thought to mention overclocking the CPU would also speed the machine up and cost very little? Make sure you have a decent CPU heat sink.

With that motherboard you could also add a second 5700 and have slightly faster graphics than a 5870.
  4. dndhatcher said:
    No one thought to mention overclocking the CPU would also speed the machine up and cost very little? Make sure you have a decent CPU heat sink.

With that motherboard you could also add a second 5700 and have slightly faster graphics than a 5870.

The 2nd pci express is only 8x, how hot should I let the cpu get
  5. How hot is it now?

You will want to keep it under 62C on a full load using Prime95 for an hour or two. This will provide enough stress to ensure your overclock temps are safe.

edit: 8x is an acceptable speed for your PCI-e. You will see little difference at 16x,8x versus 16x,16x. IMO, adding a second GPU will have the lowest effect on load times out of the recommendations. It'll have the biggest effect on FPS in gaming.
  6. right now with after switcfhing between picasa/9tabs on chrome/office/winamp its at 40C with 40% fan speed.... I don't see point in buying another 5700 series if I wouldn't be able to put it to full use, 150$+ for 8x performance? Couldn't I just buy a lower series and then crossfire them? Or do they have to be same?
  7. Sheeblasta said:
    right now with after switcfhing between picasa/9tabs on chrome/office/winamp its at 40C with 40% fan speed.... I don't see point in buying another 5700 series if I wouldn't be able to put it to full use, 150$+ for 8x performance? Couldn't I just buy a lower series and then crossfire them? Or do they have to be same?

You should buy same-model cards to CrossFire. If you buy a lower-end model, the best case scenario is that they perform at the speed of the weaker one.

The 8x lane is only a bottleneck if you're trying to CrossFire 2 5970s. Otherwise, it isn't an issue.
  8. wow that makes it sound like the lower series aren't even taking advantage of the x16
  9. Your pokey loading bar has nothing to do with CPU or GPU. The first advice you got was the best. A faster HD is what you need. Possibly you could get some relief from Win 7 also.
  10. Best answer selected by sheeblasta.
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Systems Product