REPLACE CD-ROM DRIVE WITH DVD OF TOSHIBA SATELLITE 1800-314

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
September 9, 2004 2:23:01 PM

Hi all,

I have a Toshiba Satellite 1800-314 that I want to replace the original
CD-ROM drive with a DVD drive.
I have replaced with a DVD of an ACER ASPIRE of my friend.
The result is that the Aspire run correctly with the CD-ROM of Toshiba,
instead of Toshiba that don't boot (is stopped at the drawing "Toshiba" of
bios) with the DVD drive of Aspire.
Also I have tested the Toshiba senza without CD-ROM drive and don't boot.

Why Toshiba don't boot without a CD-ROM drive? The boot sequence set up is
: FLOPPY-HD-CD. Also if I change the sequence the result is the same!

Can anyone out there provide some help?

Thanks, Frank
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
September 9, 2004 9:34:13 PM

Just a guess, but most notebooks use "cable select", however Toshiba
doesn't. This leads to a number of problems when using various optical
drives in Toshiba laptops. Basically, you may have a bus conflict (two
master devices instead of a master and a slave). Again, not certain
that's your issue, but I suspect that it is.

f123123 wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have a Toshiba Satellite 1800-314 that I want to replace the original
> CD-ROM drive with a DVD drive.
> I have replaced with a DVD of an ACER ASPIRE of my friend.
> The result is that the Aspire run correctly with the CD-ROM of Toshiba,
> instead of Toshiba that don't boot (is stopped at the drawing "Toshiba" of
> bios) with the DVD drive of Aspire.
> Also I have tested the Toshiba senza without CD-ROM drive and don't boot.
>
> Why Toshiba don't boot without a CD-ROM drive? The boot sequence set up is
> : FLOPPY-HD-CD. Also if I change the sequence the result is the same!
>
> Can anyone out there provide some help?
>
> Thanks, Frank

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
September 10, 2004 6:07:58 AM

Tahnks for your suggest do you know how i can modify the dvd drive. Open
the drive is not a problem. Now i search the pinout of the connector and
check.

By, Frank
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
September 10, 2004 6:07:56 PM

Some drives that otherwise don't work in some computers can be made to
work by shorting pins 45 and 47 of the drive connector. However, this
is VERY difficult to do. There was a long thread on this in this
newsgroup about 3 months ago, with links to article that had pictures.
Your symptom is different, so you might see something different.

!