Do I Need A Separate Reference Computer To Install W7 On My New Build?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimusic

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2011
Hello Gents,

I thought I did all my home work of approx. 2 months before purchasing the items for my new build.

Well apparently not! Seems I missed one thing.

My new rig is all very carefully assembled, [and looking good I might add], and I'm reading to install Windows 7 - 64 Home Premium.

I have purchased, but have yet to open the "Win Home Prem 7 SP1 64-Bit 30pk DSP 30 OEI 611 DVD" which is the OEM System Builder Pack.

But now I read, [and here's where the home work was not complete], about having to install the OPK on a 'reference computer'.

This computer must have Win 7, Vista or Server 2008 on it.

Can I not just use the new rig?

If so, then having Win 7 on 'it' would put me into a "catch 22" scenario.

So my question is:

Since I'm only installing Win 7 on this computer, do I really need to go through all that hoopla I've read about regarding the OPK and all that it entails?

Or can I just go straight ahead with a simple install on this 'destination rig'?

My Mo-board says Win 7 ready, but I'm guessing that refers to a retail version copy.

It's too late for me to return this copy of WIN 7.

I do have another computer that had Vista on it, but I took that off and installed XP on it. I probably could reinstall Vista, but would really rather not.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Jim

Solution

No worries dude just install the dvd.
I just grabbed my O/S pack and read the stupid OPK thing on the sleeve lol!
Never read it before and i've done half a dozen builds this past year with these builders packs all from NCIX.
Your're good to go.

beenthere

Distinguished
It sounds like an Upgrade version of Windows 7 not a std. OEM version. It also suggests it was a mfg. (30) pack? Did you purchase this from a reputable source? I think you need a normal OEM version but perhaps someone else has experience with this exact version you have? It may install but I'd want to know BEFORE I broke the seal and tried... ;)

jimusic

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2011

yes - purchase from NCIX.

http://www.ncix.ca/products/?mode=productreviewread&product_id=45271

I was careful not to get the upgrade. I have not broken the seal, but it is too late for a return.

After reading many of the customer reviews, not one of them complained of the install process. Some said easy to install.

This is the very same item number that I have #45271.

Since I'm stuck with it, I will probably take the above advice from IronSounds and just throw it in and see what happens.

I will be sure to follow up with how it goes today or tomorrow.

In the mean time, if there any other tips or tricks, I'm all ears [or eyes I guess].

That's an oem builders o/s i've bought 2 of them from NCIX for two seperate builds.
Just install it already on your new build.
It will be useable on one build only =tied to that mobo.
No worries:)

jimusic

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2011

So davcon, any idea why this statement about needing the OPK install as well then?

jimusic

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2011

So davcon, any idea why this statement about needing the OPK install as well then?

jimusic

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2011

Where does this statement come from?
I'll be honest i've never heard of it till now(OPK)
Just looked it up and don't understand how it applies to an average joe with a home-built pc.
You can delete those btw.
What mobo is it specifically?
Is the hdd clean and wiped?

jimusic

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2011
1. That statement is right on the package with a link to Microsoft on the subject.
2. Can't delete the triple posts.
3. MOBO = ASUS P8Z68 V-Pro
4. Band new build - nothing installed at all.

No worries dude just install the dvd.
I just grabbed my O/S pack and read the stupid OPK thing on the sleeve lol!
Never read it before and i've done half a dozen builds this past year with these builders packs all from NCIX.
Your're good to go.

Solution
Jim --- A bit confused by your product listing -- according to what you posted you have a 30 pack license which would be used by an OEM to install WIN 7 to 30 different machines but the link you posted to the product from NCIX shows a regular 1 license OEM version --- Could be NCIX messed up and sent you 30 licenses or NCIX may be purchasing 30 pack licenses and reselling them individually which they shouldn't be !

If it is the 30 pack then you got a good deal for $119 but chances are they are buying the bulk 30 pack licenses and then repacking and reselling them individually which is a bit of a grey area on the legality of doing so and I'm not sure if MS allows it since they discount them in bulk.

jimusic

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2011
To be honest, I was wondering about that '30 Pack' as well.

So I double and triple checked the item number.

It is indeed # 45271.

I read many of the reviews looking for some clues about the installation process and no one seemed to mention anything about the what I asked in my initial post except that a few times the reviews said 'installation was easy', leading me to believe that no one went through the whole process of different computers.

But there are 2 different descriptions on the package.

The other one doesn't mention the '30 Pack' at all.

It says:

Microsoft
Windows 7
Home Premium Edition
64Bit
DVD OEM

That's it. I'm wondering if there is a labeling error.

jimusic

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2011
Well, it's many days later than I promised, but for those who are still curious, I am back to say that I feel that the this was indeed a labeling error.

This version of Windows 7 seems to be a single copy.

There is a statement about it inside & also a single Product Key to be affixed to the rig.

Other wise, it all installed fine without the need for another computer, as originally posted.

Thanks for all your replies,

James

Mish

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2004

Damn are you serious about the 1 mobo? I am replacing mine I had no idea I needed to put aside money for a new Windows 7. I thought since I am keeping my harddrvie and just replacing the Mobo, Ram and CPU that I could still use my windows 7 copy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS