Sign in with
Your question

Worked last night...not this morning...no beep no video

Last response: in Motherboards
December 6, 2010 2:03:17 AM

Hi all

I am in urgent need of help! I searched the forum but couldn't ins a good solution. Last night I was playing gta iv and the game froze (drivers stopped working temporarily). I stopped playing and turned off my computer using windows shutdown. Long story short this morning I turn it on and there is no video. I turn off, then on again, and I don't hear the usual beeping sound. After reading some forums I tried unseating my ram and booting; still there was no beeping sound! Can anyone help me?
here are my specs:

Cpu: i7-930
mobo: axis p6x58d-e
ram: corsair xms3 CMX6GX3M3C1600C7 6gb
Gpu: xfx black 5850
harddrive: samsung spinpoint
psu: corsair tx750

If there's anymore info you need to help please let me know. Or if there was a solution I overlooked on the forums please link me! I don't overclock and the system was working for eight months.

With much appreciation,
ed
December 6, 2010 5:15:44 AM

Some simple stuff . . . check the power cord, check the power supply switch (on the back) if it has one. If you're not getting any post beeps at all, there's a power failure, the ON/OFF switch may be shorted or disconnected from the MB, Bios can do the same. Once you make sure there's power, confirm it's getting to the MB - see if there's a board mounted power LED indicator (MB manual) - see if it's on. Does the front panel power LED light up? If you're not getting a POST beep it may be a power supply dying that caused erratic performance. Check the connectors from the power supply to the MB. If a voltmeter sees the right voltages at the PS terminals, try pulling all memory ram sticks and reinstall / swap one at a time until you get a boot. Remember, some MB's require memory sticks in specific order, so check the manual. Just a WAG from afar .. . been there.
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 218 V Motherboard
December 6, 2010 6:03:07 AM

Is the ASUS P6X58D-E receiving any power at all?

When the power switch on the Corsair TX750 is turned on is the P6X58D-E Motherboard's onboard Power-on switch lit? If it's lit then that means the motherboard is at least receiving +5 Volts standby. If the onboard Power-on switch isn't lit when the Corsair TX750's power switch is turned on then there is something wrong with the PSU.

Have you tried clearing the CMOS using the Clear CMOS switch next to the purple PS/2 keyboard port? You will have to reset any customized BIOS settings after doing this.

Have you tried the MemOK! switch as instructed in the motherboard's user guide?
Related resources
December 6, 2010 3:01:19 PM

thanks for the replies, guys.

The p6x58d-e is receiving power (shown the the red LED indicator light that is on); all the case fans are on, the gpu fans are running, and my DVD/BR drives open/close.

I have tried the MemOK! switch and it "reset" the computer but there were still no beeps after the fact. For clearing CMOS I stuck a pin in and pressed the switch for about 10-15 seconds. Still no dice...Are there any other possibilities?

Appreciate all the info,
Ed
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 218 V Motherboard
December 6, 2010 7:39:03 PM

From your statement "... I don't hear the usual beeping sound." I am assuming it is the single short beep you hear just before the motherboard's BIOS boot flash screen appears.

If you don't hear the single beep it usually indicates that a device has failed during the Power-On Self Test (POST) in a lot of cases it is the video card.

Too bad you don't have a POST Diagnostic Card, a PCI add-in card that show the value of I/O port 80h on an LED display. It would tell you at what POST checkpoint the failure occurred. Some motherboards actually have this feature built-in. POST Diagnostic/Checkpoint cards are available through a variety of computer mail-order outlets. Also refer to the American Megatrends, Inc. Checkpoint & Beep Code List 2.0 PDF document for more info.
!