Sign in with
Your question

Is this a video card issue

Last response: in Systems
March 31, 2010 4:41:30 PM

ok first off i checked the list at the top of this forum. and yes im getting no signal from the monitor when i turn on my PC.

i built this thing last week and after a few problems with the signal i fixed it and the PC was running fine. it was running fine for a week till yesterday i decided to hook up another monitor to it and run dual monitors.

now this was running fine for about an hour, until one of the monitors screen turned a purple shade, so i checked and it wasnt attached completely to the 9400GT is was using. so i attached it all the way but then both screens went black. i tried rebooting but i still cant get a signal.

iv had the evga 9400 GT for about a year, about 5 months ago the fan on it failed but i decided to keep using the card because it doesnt get very hot (i have good case cooling)

i did have a temp sensor program running while i had the dual monitors running, and the GPU was at 45C so it wasnt a temp. problem. also i know the issue isnt a broken Pci-e slot because i have two of them and tried it in both.

is this probably a video card issue. and what should i do before just buying a whole new video card?

More about : video card issue

a b C Monitor
March 31, 2010 4:49:12 PM

Have you tried using just one monitor again and see if it boots?

I would say based on your comments in general, your GPU has finally died. I would look to replace the GPU with a new GPU or test with an alternative GPU to double check it is the GPU and not something else.
March 31, 2010 4:52:40 PM

yes iv tried using just one monitor, its the same. i guess i can just buy a new gpu (the 9400 is junk anyway) im just wondering if theres anything else i can do before buying a whole new GPU. anything else i should check?
Related resources
March 31, 2010 6:38:41 PM

nope, nothing to do - you fried the GPU without the fan, and thats the point of no return. Look for an ATI now. Good thing your card died like that :)  now you can get a budget ati 5770 which supports Dx11
March 31, 2010 10:36:24 PM

actually thats the card im looking at now, but is it possible the the card fried even without it overheating? because i was watching the temperature the entire time and it didnt go above 45C, is it possible somehow the card just couldnt handle two monitors and somehow broke without it overheating? when i pulled the GPU out it felt quite cool.
March 31, 2010 10:46:39 PM

The fan failed. Electrical problem on the card or dust destroying the electric motor?

You ran the card with the fan not turning. What effects could pumping power into a non-turning fan motor have? <hint: one is the fan catching on fire>
a b C Monitor
April 1, 2010 2:35:36 AM

Card is dead.
Buy a new card.
Close this thread.
a b C Monitor
April 1, 2010 2:52:45 AM

photonboy said:
Card is dead.
Buy a new card.
Close this thread.

;) 

April 1, 2010 2:42:40 PM

Niklas_13 said:
;)

ok it turns out it WASNT the card, today i tried loading up the system and it booted fine, however this is what i got.

"To many cold due BIOS POST system might be incorrectly overclocked" so i booted up Win 7 and everything seems fine. however i DIDNT overclocked anything but this worries me. i did get a program that came with my mobo called Msi Dual Core Center that automatically loads when win 7 starts up. i use it to monitor temperature but could it be somehow i accidentally overclocked something?

because it says this "FSB 857mhz" is that normal?

and Cpu clock is 3400mhz. i know thats wrong because my Cpu is a 3.2ghz unless somehow its overclocked, but see when i load other programs like CpuID it says 3200mhz.

also my Gpu temp is at 53C. if got 2 fans blowing on it to cool it but is that dangerously hot?
April 1, 2010 6:48:34 PM

system specs please - everything inside and outside your case...
April 1, 2010 8:16:58 PM

Amd Phenom II X4 955 BE 3.2Ghz
Antec two hundred S Case
Evga 9400 GT 1GB
3gb ddr2 800mhz (2gb Samsung+1gb Kingston)
Msi 790-G45 motherboard
Antec EarthWatts EA650 650W
120gb SATA 7200rpm HD
250GB SATA 7200rpm HD
DVD+/-R/RW 16X 12X +/-DL LS 12X RAM SuperMulti SATA drive
Acer 22'' 223w Monitor
April 1, 2010 8:44:42 PM

sorry, meant to say Msi 790XT-G45
April 1, 2010 8:47:41 PM

RIIIIIIIIIGHT!!!!!

tell me the timmings and latency of the rams you have i'e the specs of your rams - and in order of the samsung first and the kingston second
April 1, 2010 9:03:24 PM

CrysisComa said:
ok it turns out it WASNT the card, today i tried loading up the system and it booted fine, however this is what i got.
It booted once. And from that you conclude there is no hardware issue? :pt1cable: 

also my Gpu temp is at 53C. if got 2 fans blowing on it to cool it but is that dangerously hot? said:
also my Gpu temp is at 53C. if got 2 fans blowing on it to cool it but is that dangerously hot?
I thought my prior post should have made my position pretty clear. Running anything with a dead fan is a bad idea regardless of temperature.
!