Status
Not open for further replies.

domokun38

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2010
I have just bought a case from a friend of mine and i realized that the case dose not have the standoff "bumps" as the store bought PC i own now. i was wondering if the rise is needed and if so where can i get standoffs? i'm looking to get this MoBo, Gigabyte Socket AM3/AMD 880G from amazon with AMD Phenom II X6 as the CPU. the case is a mid-case i believe. any suggestions.

domokun38

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2010
Thank you...just being certain on this because this is my first big build and do not want to mess anything up by frying something........do the red rings go under the standoff or on top to touch the board?

Dunno actually - never used them. The standoffs are actually conductors that ensure your mobo is grounded to the case ONLY where its safe to do so. it would not be safe to, eg, lay the mobo directly on the metal tray and screw it down.

Small but important correction . . . they are there not only to make the right grounds, but to avoid all other ground connections. Like those trace lines on the back of your mobo - touching the tray is a no-no. (FYI there are also other grounds . . . the wires you will connect contain grounds, the pop-in back plate grounds the mobo's connectors to the case, etc.)

To your question: Yes.

Status
Not open for further replies.