Sign in with
Your question

Gaming PC - Are These Compatible

Last response: in Overclocking
February 15, 2013 12:58:16 AM

I want to build my own gaming PC and i want to spend 700 for it. I have found the items i want to buy but first i want to know if they are compatible. If the motherboard goes with the CPU and Graphic Card.

SSD: Intel 330 Series Maple Crest SSDSC2CT180A3K5 2.5" 180GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive

Graphic Card: SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 7770 GHz Edition 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 CrossFireX

Case: Antec Three Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Motherboard: ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3 AM3+ AMD 760G USB 3.0 HDMI uATX AMD Motherboard

Power Supply: ENERMAX NAXN 82+ ENP650AWT B 650W ATX12V 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor

RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)

More about : gaming compatible

February 15, 2013 3:19:42 PM

Quote:
They are compatible but $700 for your build seems extremely high. I made my i7-3770k build for $509, and I've made 3570k builds under $500. A phenom x4 build should run you around $200-350 depending on how many corners you cut.

I could really, really, really help you out on your build if you answered the following questions:

- What exactly do you use your computer for, as in what programs, what games. If you plan to play a future game, tell me exactly what it is. Computers are great because you can upgrade them easily, buy for what you need today, not tommorow, or else you waste money and sacrifice the quality of certain components for others that are more important for current needs.

- Do you overclock, do you plan to overclock, do you plan to learn about it, and what do you think you'll probably do (do you think you'll love it and push the envelope, or does it scare you and you just want to do a mild overclock and not bother, would you enjoy the process of overclocking or is it just a chore to you). This makes a huge difference - the Phenom x4 is only a good (amazing) CPU and value if you overclock it.

If you don't overclock, the Pentium G2120 is actually a better deal than the Phenom x4, unless you stream H264 codec (which I do regularly, but most don't). You have to overclock the Phenom x4, and buy an aftermarket heatsink, which puts it close in price to the i3 3225, but it'll outperform it.

- Do you live by microcenter? Where are you planning to buy your stuff from, I assume you are in the US? And do you have a problem buying stuff used, do you know how to use ebay?

SSD: I hope you aren't paying more than $100 for that SSD. The Samsung 830 128GB for $85 on amazing is a great deal, and given what I've seen on 330 prices I feel like you are overpaying. The extra storage Intel SSDs have (ie 160/180s are priced like 128s, 80gbs priced like 64s, etc) is nice, but I'm pretty sure the 330 is too expensive.

Also, the more storage you need, the lower quality of a drive you can get. I've used only 50gb in the last 3 years on my gaming computer, so I was able to buy a Samsung 830 64gb for $55 and use the extra money for another noctua fan. How much space are you using?

Graphic Card: 7770, ew. it's weaker than the GTX 460, yet costs twice as much. I would strongly recommend the GTX 460 1GB if that's your price range, it's found for $60-80 on ebay. You can also find the GTX 470 on ebay for a really good price, around $100-120.

Case: I really disliked the antec 300 when i used it. I strongly disliked the white interior (i usually cut open a window in my cases, just open it with a dremel or jigsaw, get some trim for $3, then a sample piece of acrylic taped behind it and it looks professional), it only has a single top fan mount, there's way too little space behind the motherboard (it's an old case, that's why), it's very plain looking, and it tends to be slightly overpriced for an outdated case that misses out on new features that have trickled down on new budget cases from the high end cases.

I'd strongly recommend the NZXT Source 210 for a budget case. It's $17 at microcenter, or even $40 at most places, it's an amazing case. If you want to spend a little more, the Corsair Carbide series are awesome cases, really sturdy and a bit better for a lot more, and microcenter has the NZXT Phantom for $64 right now, which is a total steal for a high end case.

Motherboard: Ew, do not buy AM3+ for an am3 CPU. Overpriced. You really should just buy an AM3 board, you can find them for ridiculously cheap on ebay, used, amazon, etc. Geeks.com tends to have awesome deals on older gen stuff.

Look, here you go:
http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=A770E3-R&cat=MB...

I used this on a high overclock, an awesome budget board with no locked features. It's mandatory that you buy some Enzotech mosfet heatsinks though, and tape them to the mosfets (they come with thermal tape already, just stick them on). It's definitely a budget board, but with aftermarket heatsinks on the VRMs, it performs very well. Maybe an evercool 20mm fan as well.

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=TA870U3PLUS-R&c...
This board is significantly better for $47, it's got heatsinks already and a bigger phase. If you are into overclocking, this is the better board.

PSU: Overpriced and mediocre PSU. It'snot about wattage, it's about the quality of the power supply, and the power on the 12v rail. As long as it's a quality PSU, made with quality electronics (mosfets, regulator, chokes, traces, etc), then as long as it's 300w+ or 12v@28a+, it will be more than powerful enough for a single GPU system, even with heavy overclocks and tons of fans.

The PSU you selected has decent power on the 12v rails, but it's not of great quality. and wayyy overpriced. You basically just get the cheapest, high quality 300w+ PSU for single GPU builds.

The Corsair CX series of PSUs are on serious sale at most places, great deal. I've used a few in a couple builds I've done, the CX 430 at $24 is going to be your best bet right now.

RAM: I'd strongly recommend you get 2x2gb instead of 2x4, especially at your budget, unless you do serious video editing. Yes, RAM is cheap - which is why you pocket the $20 different, and buy a aftermarket heatsink with that money, you get a better motherboard, hell, you get high quality 2x2gb ram instead, a better SSD.

Just get the cheapest 2x2GB of DDR3 240pin RAM. Most likely you'll be stuck with Micron D9's, but hopefully you can find some hynix instead.

If you are really ebay savvy, you can find some BBSE/PSCs for under $30 though. Used RAM isn't cheaper, but you can find MUCH better quality for the same low price. The Gskills you picked out aren't that great.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mushkin-Enhanced-Blackline-4GB-...

Wow, Mushkin 1600 CL 7! These are actually lower binned PSCs (the best ram IC you can find, require very little voltage and overclock very far and stay very cool, i dont think they even make PSCs anymore, kinda sad). I've got some PSCs from Mushkin, a similar kit, I was able to do 2400mhz CL8 at 1.7v.

There is a huge difference in performance in RAM when it's 1600 vs 2400. Usually ram that can do 2400 is very expensive new, but if you find them used, like that one, it's usually the same price, you just gotta find the right sale.

There you go, I found you some PSCs. If you can overclock them to 2400 CL8 with 1.8-1.85v, then they'd be worth at least $100.

AMD has a really bad memory controller, but they'll at least do 1600 CL6.

As for your CPU - if you have $700, you could make a great i5 3570k build. But if you want to spend under $400, phenom x4 is a great CPU for a budget build.

Also, you will NEED to overclock to make it worth buying over an i3/Pentium. The i3 and Pentium both slightly beat the Phenom X4 in just about everything, except streaming (do you do that?) and some few multi-threaded applications, in which case the Phenom X4 actually is significantly better than the i3. If you overclock the Phenom x4 to a guaranteed 3.6-3.8ghz (c2) or 4ghz-4.2ghz (c3), then it'll beat the i3 in most applications, crush it in multi-threaded ones, especially H264 codec performance, and cost slightly cheaper when you factor in an aftermarket heatsink.

Which you need by the way. Get a Hyper 212+ if it's under $20, otherwise find a mid-range cooler for $20-40. The V6GT, NZXT Havik 140, H50, any sort of 5-6 heatpipe cooler or 120mm closed loop mid-range cooling in that price range. Ebay, specials, newegg shell shocker, email deal at newegg, microcentre, whatever, it's not about what cooler to buy, it's about buying a certain level of cooling for the right price.

Like the NH-D14, great cooler, but if the Phanteks is the same price or cheaper, you would never buy the NH-D14. Conversely, there's like 50 mid-range heatsinks, all cool similarly. The H50, some few other 120mm closed loops, something like megahalems and archons, they all cool similarly, but one of them will always be on sale around $20-40, and that's what you get.

Also, pay the right price for the Phenom x4. And black edition doesn't mean anything, you actually want to avoid overclocking using the multiplier, or else your power saving features are disabled (running a cpu 24/7 at 4ghz/1.4vcore is much more harmful than running it at 4.2ghz/1.55vcore and it only goes up to that on full load, which even if you spend all day gaming, won't be much since your cpu is rarely pushed all the way to the max for long periods of time, except stress testing and compute workloads).

And all Phenom X4s are the same - 955, 965, 985, whatever. They are all Denebs. The only difference is (besides the 960t, which is actually a 6 core thuban with 2 cores disabled, but it's usually more expensive to reflect that) that there's a C2 revision, and C3 revision.

I would strongly recommend you buy the Phenom X4 used, for this reason (or in person). You need to look at the identifier on the chip or on the box. If it;s

ABCD.....-DGI, then it's C2 and it'll do only 3.6-3.8ghz
ABCD.....-DGM, then it's C3, that's what you want, it's guaranteed to do 4-4.2ghz on relatively low voltage.

For example:
HDZ965FBK4DGI = c2 revision
HDX945WFK4DGM = c3

Also, look into the Phenom B95, B97, and B99. They are OEM PhenoM X4s that are always c3 revision. They have a semi-locked multi (you cant raise it over stock, but like i said, you want to overclock using FSB, not multiplier), and tend to sell for super cheap.

Hi, my first answer is, i want the pc for gaming, video editing, etc. I live in US and plan to buy the items on newegg. I do not know what does overclocking means. Sorry, first time to build a pc. Also, i search for rating and review and does items were the best item i could find and in a cheap price. I am happy because you are taking your time to help me thank you. OK, you know better than me, but tell me if i need to change some of the item i put. Also the price doesn't surpass $700. As i said, i have been searching for review and rating and does are the best items i could find. Some people had told me to buy a different motherboard, but i saw some reviews and they are really bad. So, what i mean is that if you want me to change anything here, please give me a good item that doesn't have problem or damage fast. Thank you.
m
l
February 15, 2013 5:35:37 PM

I don't play computer games, but i want now. I would like to play games out now and future ones. The editing Software is Vegas Pro. Overclocking sound cool.
Hey, I just change some items and put better ones.

Graphic Card: SAPPHIRE 100355-1GOCL Radeon HD 7850 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready Support Crossfire

Case: NZXT Source 220 CA-SO220-01 Black Steel / Aluminum-like finish ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Motherboard: MSI FM2-A85XA-G65 FM2 AMD A85X (Hudson D4) SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard

CPU: AMD A8-5600K Trinity 3.6GHz (3.9GHz Turbo) Socket FM2 100W Quad-Core Desktop APU (CPU + GPU) with DirectX 11 Graphic AMD.

m
l
Related resources
February 16, 2013 12:21:28 AM

Quote:
Well future video games will have different needs than current games. You can't really plan for it.

At the same time, we're talking very powerful equipment - games are meant to run on consumer class Athlons, Celerons, Pentiums, APUs. When you talk about Phenoms, i3, i5, you are talking CPUs a couple magnitudes greater than very strong CPUs as it is, and they will all last for years in gaming just fine.

To build a computer that would be of similar quality to the Xbox 360, would cost you less than $200. It would actually be about 2x as strong than an Xbox 360, and it would only be so expensive because things like cases, power supplies, don't really get cheaper with a cheaper build. Or really you could make one of similar quality that'd be like $150, less, with higher quality.

Just to give you an idea. Xbox 360 still has great looking games on it, it's been out for a while. And developers aren't always increasing polygon counts, but doing most of their effort into texturing, so hardware needs have stayed largely the same, but graphics have looked much better.

The 7850 is an okay graphics card, but you really need to tell me what games you play. If you plan to play Battlefield 3, Crysis 3, it's a great card to get. If you plan to play Starcraft, World of Warcraft, Team Fortress, Counter Strike, it's complete overkill and you're sacrificing performance by putting money into one component when you should be putting it into something else.

If you really want a strong graphics card, I'd recommend the GTX 470 over the 7850. The 470 can be found for $100-120 on ebay, sometimes less, and is just as powerful as the 7850 which is often twice as expensive.

The NZXT 220 is just an NZXT 210 with a mesh front. It's going to be louder, but cool slightly better. Just depends what you want in a case, I prefer a solid front because I use lots of fans and a mesh front will make any fan loud, and I don't like the look as much. It really just depends where the mesh is, where you put your computer, what you do, but the cooling increase is maybe 1*C, if that, it's really neglible, it's more about overall system cooling. Mesh is great if you run a lot of fans and have a lot of negative pressure. I don't see you putting 5 fans in your case, so just get the 210.

Also, the 220 is too expensive. The features of the 210 are amazing for a $17-39 case, but more than that it's not worth it and there are better cases out there. It's an amazing budget case, not a mid-range case. If you want a mid-range case, I could recommend some to you, but they aren't much better than the 210 that I think they are better buys.

Why are you picking out an AMD APU? Are you trying to save money or something? You should really listen to the advice I'm giving you, you are picking out terrible parts.

AMD APUs, like the AMD A8-5600K, is a CPU + GPU all in one. For the price point, they can be amazing, the A8-5600K is a great deal for an APU, the CPU is around the strength of a Phenom X4, and the GPU is pretty decent for the price. I would strongly recommend an APU if all you have is $200.

However it will be limited. It will play major games on medium graphics just fine, but the CPU is relatively better than the GPU, making APUs better for games like Starcraft, and perfect for games like World of Warcraft, MMORPGs, Diablo 3. If you have at least $300, an AMD Phenom X4 build would be much better, the parts I picked out for you is a steal and very high quality.

You are aware that with APUs, the idea is that the CPU and GPU are all in one, meaning you don't need to buy a graphics card right? An A8-5600K is similar to the Phenom x4 in performance, but an extra $30 because it puts a graphics card on them. It's not a great value, it's not a bad value, but it's nothing special.

Buying an AMD A8-5600K and a 7850, or GTX 470, would be redundant. You would rather just buy the Phenom X4, and then the GTX 470 or 7850. Some CPUs, like Intels, come with GPUs already on them, very weak ones, but the AMD APUs are meant to be budget gaming chips with budget GPUs on them. But you can find cheap, stronger GPUs on ebay or on sale somewhere, and a CPU, for a similar price.

Also, for Vegas video editing, you really want to put the money towards your CPU. So buying a 7850 would be a total waste, as that money is better put towards a stronger CPU, and then just a GPU strong enough for your needs. The more money in your budget you put towards an unnecessary GPU, the weaker your Vegas editing will be, yet depending on the game, you will see no benefit in graphics because your GPU is overkill.

Obviously, it depends on the game, but you need to understand this when building a computer. This is why building for the future, trying to be future proof, trying to build for some unknown reason, is not a good idea. You sacrifice your performance today, for performance that will most likely not be used even in tommorow.

upgrade your graphics card when you need to. Otherwise, use what you need, and put the money where it will be most appreciated today. That's the beauty of building a computer, when you want to upgrade, just sell the part you no longer need and buy what you do need, and spend less money than if you just bought some future proof component.

So, i will pick the items you told me, but i want to know something, can you please tell me if i can pick some items i said and some items you said, i mean, i pick the case you said, i pick the GPU i said, I pick the CPU you said, Like that Or should i pick only the ones you said before.
m
l
February 16, 2013 2:45:21 AM

Quote:
like pretty much everything you've picked out is terrible lol. All the stuff you pick out tends to be overpriced, second tier, and way more than you need. If you want high quality, expensive parts, that's fine, but you still wouldn't buy what you did. Your build is also really lopsided... you don't buy a 330 SSD, with a Phenom X4 build. you don't get a 7850, with a Phenom X4 build. You don't buy such an expensive motherboard, for a Phenom X4.

I found similarly performing components for you, for way cheaper. If you want similarly priced components, i can do that, they'd be way stronger. I think I already did that for you, actually.

Thank you. I just want to build a gaming pc that can run upcoming games, such as crysis 3 and bioshock, but if you said so, the one you told me to buy then ok.
m
l
February 16, 2013 3:04:51 AM

Quote:
like pretty much everything you've picked out is terrible lol. All the stuff you pick out tends to be overpriced, second tier, and way more than you need. If you want high quality, expensive parts, that's fine, but you still wouldn't buy what you did. Your build is also really lopsided... you don't buy a 330 SSD, with a Phenom X4 build. you don't get a 7850, with a Phenom X4 build. You don't buy such an expensive motherboard, for a Phenom X4.

I found similarly performing components for you, for way cheaper. If you want similarly priced components, i can do that, they'd be way stronger. I think I already did that for you, actually.

Hey, I picked the items you told me. Looked, This is what i have now, but can you please help me on the motherboard because it needs to be compatible with the GPU, and CPU, Right.

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor

Motherboard: Foxconn A9DA AM3 AMD 890GX HDMI SATA 6Gb/s ATX AMD Motherboard

Graphic Card: HD Radeon 7850 1GB
m
l
February 16, 2013 4:18:01 AM

It actually quite similar with my build,

I'm agree, is the SSD is important for now? (Even if I'm a fans of ssd)..

it will be better go with higher tier Graphic card and mobo....

anyways if u go with BE pII, u should try O.C. it.. but u will need a decent mobo for it...
(pII BE O.C. quite simple and that their strong point)

btw i don't think 7850 will bottleneck -ed by the pII
m
l
February 16, 2013 1:30:33 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Hey, I picked the items you told me. Looked, This is what i have now, but can you please help me on the motherboard because it needs to be compatible with the GPU, and CPU, Right.

I don't know how you pick your parts man, but whatever you do to pick what you pick, pick the exact opposite, because you seem intent on picking the worst quality stuff lol.

You still haven't answered many of my questions that make a huge difference on what to get. Do you live near microcenter? Do you know how to use ebay? Are you comfortable with buying used?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-OEM-AMD-Phenom-II-X4-Proces...

$75 for a guaranteed C3 revision. That's 4ghz to 4.2ghz.

I already picked you a motherboard. Yes, things will fit together, it's not hard to make sure it'll fit if it's the right socket. You only need to worry about things fitting if you need lots of hard drives or multiple graphics cards. Or, if you care about pcie 3.0, usb 3.0, sata3.0, which isn't really that important, especially if you are making a phenom x4 build.

Get this motherboard:
http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=TA870U3PLUS-R&c...
Biostar. Great company, great support, great board for the price.

No to the 7850. I don't know why you insist on picking bad components. It's overpriced. It's a weak GPU that's on the new series, so AMD overcharges you for it. Both GPU companies do that. Take the 610 from Nvidia. It's a horrible GPU, it's just a really, really bad GPU. But it costs over $60, because it's a 600 series, even though it's not even 1/10th the strength of a similarly priced GTX 460, which is low priced becase it's a slightly older series.

Get the GTX 470 instead if you want that much power in a GPU. I've also used the 7850 and was not impressed with it. Way overpriced.

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=N470GTX-M2D12-P...
Here you go. $120 for GTX 470 at geeks. Way cheaper, same performance. More VRAM even.

Quote:
It actually quite similar with my build,

I'm agree, is the SSD is important for now? (Even if I'm a fans of ssd)..

it will be better go with higher tier Graphic card and mobo....

anyways if u go with BE pII, u should try O.C. it.. but u will need a decent mobo for it...
(pII BE O.C. quite simple and that their strong point)

btw i don't think 7850 will bottleneck -ed by the pII

SSD is very much worth it, given prices.

You NEED to overclock the Phenom X4 to make it worth it. Also newegg has the Thermaltake Big Water A80 for $34 or something for shell shocker. You need to hop on that OP, it's a high end cooler for under $40, which is an absolute steal. The deal will go away very soon, if it hasn't already (as in it goes away in hours).

I do understand what are you saying, but what i said before is that, this is my first time that i going to build a PC, that's why i make a lot of mistakes and i want to fix them. Also, i did mention crysis 3, but i didn't mention the name, i said future games, upcoming games. You said that i still getting bad items, but you said to get the Phenom x4 and that's what i got. One more thing, I'm not crazy, but every time a graphic card is release, it is better than the old one because is a newer version and series, so how will the 470 be good if is really old. I just want to play from medium to high quality. Thank you.
m
l
February 17, 2013 9:51:11 AM

I'm don't live in US so I'm not confident in picking part list... (also I had bias toward gigabyte mobo and amd gpu...)

but i will try give some info...

Quote:

- the processor pII will compatible with Am3 or am3+ board (7xx/8xx/9xx chipset)
but it better paired with 8xx and 9xx chipset

- the GPU 7850 will compatible with (almost) all board since pci-ex x16 2.0 is a standard now...

- for the mobo : how many budget did u had for the mobo? I would aim for 970 chipset (around $100 price point)

some thing like : (or equals)

O.C. pII as simple as increasing multipier in BIOS (but the board had to be good ones), also there a lot of guide,forum,youtube about it... (some are really nice)

for cooler, the one that came with pII processor actually very good, the bad thing is it had monster fan (4000 rpm) it will quite loud but it usefull until there a money to buy aftermarket cooler (cooler master hyper 212 evo or plus is quite decent and cheap)

SSD is nice, but with those budget, i would get 500 GB or 1 TB HDD 7200rpm.. after there more money later u can buy the SSD and use the HDD for data drive... the extra money go to better mobo and GPU..

we don't know about future gaming, it may not able to play future games at high/ultra setting but I think the build still capable to play at medium setting...

Update : I had just try to O.C. my 7870 and try running heaven 4.0 benchmark.... with max setting at 1080p it still get :

average FPS: 28.5
Min FPS: 13.2
Max FPS: 62.6

I think the 7850 will just fine...
m
l
February 17, 2013 3:32:13 PM

rdc85 said:
I'm don't live in US so I'm not confident in picking part list... (also I had bias toward gigabyte mobo and amd gpu...)

Quote:

- the processor pII will compatible with Am3 or am3+ board (7xx/8xx/9xx chipset)

- the GPU 7850 will compatible with (almost) all board since pci-ex x16 2.0 is a standard now...

- for the mobo : how many budget did u had for the mobo? I would aim for 970 chipset (around $100 price point)

O.C. pII as simple as increasing multipier in BIOS (but the board had to be good ones), also there a lot of guide,forum,youtube about it... (some are really nice)

for cooler, the one that came with pII processor actually very good, the bad thing is it had monster fan (4000 rpm) it will quite loud but it usefull until there a money to buy aftermarket cooler (cooler master hyper 212 evo or plus is quite decent and cheap)

SSD is nice, but with those budget, i would get 500 GB or 1 TB HDD 7200rpm.. after there more money later u can buy the SSD and use the HDD for data drive... the extra money go to better mobo and GPU..

we don't know about future gaming, it may not able to play future games at high/ultra setting but I think the build still capable to play at medium setting...

Update : I had just try to O.C. my 7870 and try running heaven 4.0 benchmark.... with max setting at 1080p it still get :

Thanks and i do want to spend from 600 to 700
m
l
February 17, 2013 3:59:04 PM

rdc85 said:

Quote:

I want to know if the AMD Phenom II X4 is supported on this motherboard - GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard
m
l
February 17, 2013 4:07:02 PM

yes it supported...
m
l
February 18, 2013 7:32:58 AM

@ Belial88

don't need to be hostile...

I'm admit I had bias before giving any advise, so the OP will decide if he can take my info/advice as he likes or just ignore it....

It much better than fan boy that not admit they are, and keep bashing on other people opinion...

back to topic

anyways, 78xx card not bottleneck by pII 955 (tested by my self) I'm cannot said the same as 79xx card... (they are much powerful card)

about 1TB drive, I'm recommend it because BD quality movies will eat your HDD quickly unless u delete them after watching it...

I'm an otaku so my collection somewhat huge, one person needs will different from others, it maybe waste of money for u but not for me (but cannot said the same for OP)

anyways that my advise as grain and salt.. I'm not going to force u to follow me :D ..
m
l
February 18, 2013 1:18:33 PM

Quote:
GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+ is an okay motherboard.... but a serious waste of money for a Phenom X4 build. A lot of people have reported serious stability issues with it though.

I already laid out a great motherboard for you, that biostar on geeks.com. You are running a Phenom X4, not a Phenom X6, and not a bulldozer or 8350. Buying a high end motherboard like that would be a total waste for this CPU. It would be like buying $1000 tires for a $800 Civic. That civic just isn't gonna appreciate those tires, it isn't going to push enough for it to use the full features of the tires.

Or even more accurate, it would be like putting a grandma in a lamborghini. She gonna drive it so slow, that phenom x4 also isn't going to utilize that board (although I'd hardly call that board a lamborghini).

If you want to spend more money, get a 3570K + UD3H (if you live by microcenter, there might be a board with a better value since they have insane specials). Don't waste it on a motherboard. There are much better places to put your money. Putting so much money into a motherboard with the current build is like spending $100,000 for Rims on a Civic.... you are better off buying a Mercedes, you are better off upgrading the engine or suspension of the civic first....

Understand? Believe me, I've gone through all the stuff you are asking about. If I haven't recommended something, especially so completely different than what I suggested, it's with good reason. The Phenom X4 is a great budget chip, but it's a budget chip. This is a great $400 computer. If you want to spend $600-700 for a computer, then keep the stuff I recommended except change it to a 3570K + UD3H instead.

Although given your desire to play Crysis3, instead of Cpu intensive games like Starcraft, I'd recommend you put your money towards a graphics card, like a Phenom X4 build as I listed, but then put more money towards a 7950.

Hey, I do want to play upcoming games like Crysis 3, Bioshock Infinite, but i don't mean in High High quality. I made some changes. How about these now.

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

Graphic Card: SAPPHIRE 100358L Radeon HD 7770 GHz Edition 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 CrossFireX Support Video Card

CPU: AMD FX-4100 Zambezi 3.6GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor FD4100WMGUSBX
m
l
February 18, 2013 4:58:37 PM

Quote:
Quote:
about 1TB drive, I'm recommend it because BD quality movies will eat your HDD quickly unless u delete them after watching it...

I know our hero doesn't every say anything about what his computer needs are and make us guess what hardware he needs, but I have literally never seen a BD disc in my life. Blu-ray? You really think blu-ray is going to be more and more popular in the future? Who even buys blurays? Are those like dvds? LOL

If you are 50 years old and have a bunch of blu-rays, or you are a pirate, then you might need some storage for ripping blu rays. Otherwise, if you are like anyone else, why would you have blu rays.

That's like saying "Well the OP might download slow, hours long elephant porn, he should get a big drive'. Why would you recommend the OP get something for such an obscure use lol. Unless OP tells us he does something weird like he's a pirate and rips blu-rays to throw onto TPB, he doesn't need to waste his money on a 1TB hdd.

Quote:
Hey, I do want to play upcoming games like Crysis 3, Bioshock Infinite, but i don't mean in High High quality. I made some changes. How about these now.

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

Graphic Card: SAPPHIRE 100358L Radeon HD 7770 GHz Edition 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 CrossFireX Support Video Card

CPU: AMD FX-4100 Zambezi 3.6GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor FD4100WMGUSBX

Wow, I'm almost insulted and I'm starting to feel like I'm being trolled here. I'll respectfully respond to the parts you picked that are nothing like what I recommended, and why they are terrible.

- FX chips are a huge waste of money. They are just terrible, they are a huge dissapointment. This is ESPECIALLY true for overclocking and gaming. Especially true for gaming. You can google "Fx 8350 vs i5" and you'll see 99% of responses say get the i5 over the fx 8350.

Furthermore, the FX4100 is even worse. It's actually a dual module CPU, with modules that can handle an extra integer point. It's, very simplistically put, like a dualcore CPU with hyperthreading. It's like an i3! However, it's architecture is so bad that it's not even close to an i3 in performance.

When people talk about FX chips, they usually refer to the quad module, 8 thread, FX8150, FX 8350, etc chips. These chips are terrible.

Besides pure performance, these chips are so much worse than intel's core line-up in every way - they have much worse i/o controllers, they have much worse memory controllers, they have worse pci-express controllers, they use about 4 times as much power, you can't overclock the RAM nearly as well as ivy bridge...

The only thing, is that the FX8350 comes close to an i7 in performance in only very, very, very specialized tasks, like maybe video editing or an outdated version of adobe. If you do something very specialized, you might be able to justify the FX because it'll perform similarly as the i7 at half the cost, in certain applications. Like a handful of applications.

But for gaming? General usage? The FX does not come anywhere close to the Intel core series, yet costs the same.

Even sadder, the Phenom ii X4 series, performs the same as the FX series chips for gaming.

Use this site and play around to compare CPUs:
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/CPU/2

For example:
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/362?vs=697
The Phenom x4 compares similarly or even better than the FX8350 in most applications, at 1/2 the cost. Especially in video games, and even in many multi-threaded applications where FX is supposed to shine.

I don't know where in the world you got the idea that FX would be a good idea, but it's not. It's the worst for gaming. There's a million articles, benches, and user experiences saying that. Every once in a while you have a fan boy saying "Well I use the FX chip and I play bf3 just fine!" and that's true, but just about any CPU can handle a game just fine. The FX chip is much worse than it's peers, or is too expensive, is the problem.

This is coming from someone who usually favors AMD, by the way. But the performance and price of AMD's recent line-ups makes it hard for anyone to like them anymore.

The graphics card you chose is terrible
http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html

The motherboard you chose is meh.

Look, you have this as baseline build:
Phenom x4
Biostar am3 from geeks.com
gtx 470 geeks.com, ebay
Samsung 830 SSD (64gb, 128gb, 256gb, whatever you need)
Antec Neo Eco 400w(amazon, newegg)
NZXT Source 210
2x2GB of cheapest DDR3 240pin name brand ram you can find, ebay preferably
Logisys Assassin Heatsink, Performancepcs.com

This is around $350-400. If you want to spend more on a computer, then get a GTX 7950 instead. It'll be a big boost up in performance for games like Bioshock, Crysis3, which don't really care about your CPU, but care a ton about your graphics card. It's a $250-300 GPU, but if you are going to spend more money, this is what you put it in. I wouldn't really recommend a 7950 for a Phenom X4 build, it doesn't make much sense to put a $300 GPU in a $350 computer, but if you MUST spend more money, that's where you put it.

If you have a lot more money than $600, as in you want to spend $800-1000 on your computer, then get:
i5-3570K
Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H
7950 GPU

DO YOU LIVE BY MICROCENTER? LOLOLOL. You really need to answer this question, it changes what you should get. If you live within a 2 hour drive of microcenter, you should say so, because it's worth it for the cost savings.

Heres a picture of my 210, by the way. I cut a window into it, but this is what mine looks like:
http://i.imgur.com/bnF13ng.jpg

Please stop asking me "Well what about this" on something that is no way related to what I recommended you. I've already told you exactly what parts to get, even where to get them, and why. I've built a ton of computers, I do reviews on hardware, companies have sent me free hardware to test out even.

If you google 'Belial's guide" I'm sure you'll see a ton of resultes.

I know what an FX chip is. I've already thought about them, I've used them before even. You aren't thinking of something I haven't thought of or something. It's getting a little old now that I keep recommending the same things for you and you just post asking about something totally different, and I'm starting to feel you are just being a troll now.

Ok, but you didn't answer my question before I reply on how about these. I said that i'm trying to spend 600-700-800 dollars, but I want to build a gaming PC that can run upcoming games, not really in High quality. Also a computer that's fast when downloading, video editing, etc. The problem that you don't understand about me is that, I'm new about this, i understand your giving me choices but I'm trying to look for something like how I said on this comment. Sorry, I do not live close to microcenter. Is too far... I have seen reviews and rating that phenom II x4 is good and can be compatible with AM3 and AM3+ motherboards. I choose the FX CPU because i saw that it has good reviews and rating on Newegg. Newegg is the website i want to buy the items, but since i'm trying to find more info, I will not buy them. This is my first time that i am going to build a PC.
m
l
February 18, 2013 5:39:28 PM

Quote:
I answered all of your questions dude. I told you. How about these were terrible. I gave detailed responses on all of your 'how about these'. Trust me, there isn't some CPU you are going to dig up and I'm going to be like "Oh yea I forgot about that!". There's only so many CPUs...

First off, your budget. I think a lot of people are unsure of what they need and what performance they get out of what, so they say a number, like $600-800. I think you can spend as little as $400 for your needs, and have a very, very powerful computer. You could spend $800, sure, and it'll be very powerful, of course, but there's a balance.

You can meet your needs, play all the new games on not just medium or 'run them' as you want, but play them on quite high settings, on around $350-500. If you spent $800, you would be looking to max out all the new games. An $800 computer would be great, and it's got value too, it's not terribly diminishing returns, but the question is, are you happy with just spending $400 and more than meeting your needs, or do you insist on blowing a set amount of money?

I told you what to build. I even laid out multiple builds for multiple budgets.

Downloading is entirely your internet connection, it has very little to do with your computer. Come on man... I think you need to trust my help here. You can check my profile at overclock.net to see that I know what I'm talking about here (Just google "belial overclock.net' or 'belial guide').

Quote:
Also a computer that's fast when downloading, video editing, etc.

Can you be more specific about video editing. You are wasting my time and it's starting to get irritating. Video editing is nothing like video games. As in, unlike a computer made for Crysis, where all the money goes into the GPU, for video editing, you want to put all your money in the CPU and RAM.

What program do you use, how do you video edit, etc...

The builds, all of them, that I listed, like a Phenom X4, will do video editing pretty well. But if you do professional tasks, of course, I would recommend something different.

You build a computer basically around it's most intense tasks. If you can handle Crysis 3, believe me, you'll handle web browsing, downloading, ripping, etc, just fine. Video editing is a totally different animal, but for general video editing, it's not very intensive.... you have to tell me if you are just making basic home movies or doing large scale stuff here though...

Quote:
I'm new about this, i understand your giving me choices but I'm trying to look for something like how I said on this comment.

I have no idea what you are trying to say here but I can tell you that the stuff you picked out makes it's very clear that you don't have a clue what you are doing lol. Which is fine, it's complicated, I wish I could say "you want to pick the X with the highest X" but it's not like that.

Like CPU speed, doesn't tell you anything. 5ghz FX-8350 is much worse than a 3.5ghz i7-3770K, and similar to a Phenom II X4 at only 4.5ghz. Core count, isn't accurate either - a quadcore isn't 4 times faster than a single core. You just have to know all the models, and how they compare. For quick looks, you can search lke "Cpu benchmarks" or "fx 8350 vs i5-3570k".

Quote:
. I choose the FX CPU because i saw that it has good reviews and rating on Newegg.

First off, every CPU on newegg has a high rating.

Secondly, newegg reviews are totally worthless. Like the 2nd 1star that pops up, says the guy thinks the fan is loud.

Most people are morons, and it's reflected in newegg reviews. You cannot trust newegg reviews at all.

Also, most people only buy maybe a single CPU in 3 years. Maybe once in 5-10 years, even. They only buy one motherboard. So someone buys an FX CPU, it's fast, it does everything they want very easily, it games well, and then they rate it as 5 star and say how awesome of a CPU it is.

But they have no frame of reference. They haven't tried an i5-3570K. They certainly haven't compared their FX CPU, to an i5-3570K. So they say their FX chip is awesome, how AMD is better than Intel, how they saved so much money, but in reality, their chip is a lot slower than the i5.

It's even worse with stuff like motherboards. You buy one motherboard, why would you buy other ones? Most people, say, buy their Z77 motherboard for their i5 or i7. They overclock far on it, it gives them no problem, stuff plugs in. They rate the board 5 stars, and that's that. But they don't try out the other Z77 motherboards, and they definitely do not compare them side by side.

I, and a few other people, have though. I've used the UD3H, and compared it to the UD5H. I didn't just game on it, because both would handle games just fine, but I overclocked on both of these boards, compared results. I've tested other boards too, the MSI G41, and I've looked and checked out and handled many more boards than I've used.

On top of that, there are plenty of reviews from trustworthy people, that you can check out. Most reviews are total crap, they don't truly analyze a component. But, there are good reviews, you just have to know what to look for.

Quote:
Newegg is the website i want to buy the items, but since i'm trying to find more info, I will not buy them. This is my first time that i am going to build a PC.

Then you won't afford it. Newegg has some great prices on some stuff, they have amazing deals and discounts, in general they have good prices, but they are not the cheapest all the time.

Why do you want to buy all your stuff from newegg? Newegg only holds new gen stuff, it's part of the new-gen-conspiracy rip off scheme that these computer component companies do (ie new generation of products, they are worse then previous generation, doesnt matter sell for higher price, then people buy them because it's cheaper then anything else in that generation, ie the 640 is a crap gpu but more expensive than the much stronger 460 but because its newer gen, even though it's technology isn't, it's more expensive rip off).

Do you have a newegg gift card or something? Buying all your components from one place, is a sure way to overpay. I already told you where to buy components. MUST You buy from newegg?

And what about ebay? Do you not know how to use ebay or something? You can get some really, really good deals on ram and stuff on ebay.

And newegg doesn't carry a lot of the stuff I recommended. You are going to overpay on Newegg for the same quality computer. For example, they don't carry the Samsung 830 128gb. The only alternative would be the more expensive, worse Samsung 840, that's newer but uses a worse controller.

And, you still haven't answered about how much storage space do you need. How much storage space are you currently using?

I can help you pick the parts on newegg, all on newegg, but I'd strongly recommend against it. Amazon, Wal-mart.com, Performancepcs.com, geeks.com, and ebay, have better quality components for cheaper for the build in question.

Thank you for replying and sorry to waste time from you, but ebay and amazon, i don't really like to buy stuff from there because they don't have warranty and that's why i choose to buy on newegg. Alsom thanks for helping me, since you said that 500 something like thats is good for gaming then i will not waste 800. So can you please give me some good items, that the total goes to 600.

I'm looking for 8GB of Ram, at lest 500-1000 Gb of HDD, Good Graphic Card, GTX 6-- or HD Radeon 7---, Good motherboard that has a lot of space and places so you can put the memory, etc. I want a SSD so i cant use it for the PC system. A good PC case that has a lot of space, not too much. A cpu cooler fan. 650 to 750 W of Power Supply. Please, sorry for giving you difficult times, but i just want to have a gaming pc that can live long, play upcoming games in Mid quality and that is fast.
m
l
!