Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Cloning Partition to a SSD (smaller capacity)

Last response: in Storage
May 3, 2012 9:07:02 AM

Hello,
I'm looking into buying Corsair Force-GT 120GB and then move my Windows partition from the current hard drive to it. Right now Windows & all programs installed is using about 100 GB of 350 GB space.

I still don't know how to perform it and what's the free & best utility to do it. As far as i know, a few utilities that support direct cloning requires the destination must be bigger than the source (which is not an option). A free utility from WD (my hard drive) is not helping either because it only supports backup between a WD drives.

So, is there any similar utility that support cloning to a smaller capacity? Please help me.

a b G Storage
May 3, 2012 9:56:51 AM

The actual amount of data on your disk is more relevant to a clone than partition size. So if you have 100GB of data on your disk and want to clone it to a 12GB drive typically you shouldn't have much of an issue. Although the SSD shouldn't be too full, otherwise you may run into problems later. You should either remove any unwanted software or stuff you don't often use, possibly install on second drive. Free up as much space as you can for the SSD then start cloning.
I personally used Acronis True Image, which worked great! It works with a bootable CD, so you install your SSD and clone your old drive to it directly. It took like 20 minutes and I was running on my new SSD!
If you can get your hands on it, it will make things very quick and easy for you.
Score
May 3, 2012 10:59:52 AM

Hi ngrego,
I'm currently uninstalling a few unused programs and moving my documents to other place. based on the size of all those programs & files it will free up about 30GB of space.

If it's possible i prefer using a free utility rather than a paid one, is there any alternative software that'll work similarly to Acronis?
Score
Related resources
a b G Storage
May 3, 2012 1:03:53 PM

You could use something like Clonezilla, wich is a disk Imaging/Cloning software that should do the same. It's a linux based GPL software so it is free, but I haven't used this particular one myself. I have used an older one that Clonezilla was based on called Partimage, which did work nicely but took hours. Check out the Clonezilla site and if it looks ok to you give it a try!
Score
May 3, 2012 3:25:47 PM

Thank you for your reply again but, Clonezilla does not support cloning to a partition that have smaller capacity than the source.

"Limitations:
The destination partition must be equal or larger than the source one."
http://clonezilla.org/

So because of the limitation, even there's only 70GB used space on the 350 GB partition, it's not possible to copy it to a 120 GB SSD, isn't it?
Score
May 5, 2012 5:25:39 PM

Hello,
i already mentioned about the free Acronis from WD on my first post. There's a lot of articles i read on internet that Acronis WD Version will only works for WD products.

I bought the SSD a few hours ago and i successfully 'cloned' the data via Acronis True Image (not the WD edition). At first i tried to use Clone Disk but it doesn't help much because it only works on disk-level, not partition-level / data-level. So it's impossible to clone only the used space on C: to the SSD.

So i backup the data to an image files, restore it to the SSD (C: partition, System Reserved partition & MBR), then boot from Windows DVD and choose "Repair Your Computer". it beautifully works for me.
Score

Best solution

a b G Storage
August 31, 2012 6:56:05 AM

cliffflip said:
Hello,
i already mentioned about the free Acronis from WD on my first post. There's a lot of articles i read on internet that Acronis WD Version will only works for WD products.

I bought the SSD a few hours ago and i successfully 'cloned' the data via Acronis True Image (not the WD edition). At first i tried to use Clone Disk but it doesn't help much because it only works on disk-level, not partition-level / data-level. So it's impossible to clone only the used space on C: to the SSD.

So i backup the data to an image files, restore it to the SSD (C: partition, System Reserved partition & MBR), then boot from Windows DVD and choose "Repair Your Computer". it beautifully works for me.

That is a long process, you could directly migrate your OS to the SSD with two product Paragon and Partition Assistant, but Paragon need to pay some money, Partition Assistant Home edition will not, it is free. I know that you have solved your problem but I think some people of the same problem could download the download it from CNET: http://download.cnet.com/Aomei-Partition-Assistant-Home...
August 31, 2012 1:11:40 PM

cliffflip said:
Thank you for your reply again but, Clonezilla does not support cloning to a partition that have smaller capacity than the source.

"Limitations:
The destination partition must be equal or larger than the source one."
http://clonezilla.org/

So because of the limitation, even there's only 70GB used space on the 350 GB partition, it's not possible to copy it to a 120 GB SSD, isn't it?

I'm going to be doing this same thing tonight. I like clonezilla and would rather use that.

Since the source partition isnt full, couldnt you just shrink it down from 350GB to ~120GB, then you would be able to use clonezilla? Partition shrinking is built in to windows 7.
Score
September 11, 2012 5:01:49 AM

Best answer selected by cliffflip.
Score
July 18, 2013 9:38:49 AM

Had this same problem last night. My used space in the windows image was smaller than the size of my SSD BUT the partition size was not. Windows refused to restore to the smaller drive and I had already gotten rid of my HDD so I couldn't shrink that partition and do another backup.

My solution was to use the bootable version of True Image by Acronis. It handled the windows backup file fine, re-sized the partition correctly and I was back up & running in 15 minutes.
Score
December 29, 2013 11:52:55 PM

i have WD version of acronis. can i clone a large partion (1TB of space, with only <400 used) to a smaller partition (700GB). i'm not getting that option.
Score
a c 216 G Storage
December 30, 2013 3:52:09 PM

Quote:
i have WD version of acronis. can i clone a large partion (1TB of space, with only <400 used) to a smaller partition (700GB). i'm not getting that option.

What do you mean? That option is built into Windows.

Go to Start>Run and when the Run box opens up, type in diskmgmt.msc This will open the Disk Management Console. Right click on the partition that you wish to shrink and select "Shrink Volume". It should be self-explanatory from there.

Yogi
Score
February 5, 2014 2:53:11 PM

Y0GI said:
Quote:

What do you mean? That option is built into Windows.

Go to Start>Run and when the Run box opens up, type in diskmgmt.msc This will open the Disk Management Console. Right click on the partition that you wish to shrink and select "Shrink Volume". It should be self-explanatory from there.

Yogi

worked! thank you.
Score
a c 216 G Storage
February 8, 2014 6:26:08 PM

You're welcome.

Yogi
Score
!