Sign in with
Your question

Video memory in vista rateings

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 14, 2010 1:02:09 PM

i have a dell inspiron 530 ,quad core , i came with a nividia geforce 8600gt it wa great had a vista rateing of 5.5 to make it short the card went bad , so i bought a new one a geforce 9500gt and you would think i would have a better rateing but its only 5.0 and the mother board has stoped memory shearing ,,, my dell service contract has expired so i cant ask them . but the one time i did call they told me that in my 4 gegs of memory they had allocated memory to help the 8600gt how can i get the memory to help my 9500gt to get a better vista rateing .. does this make any tell you what my problem is lol
a b Î Nvidia
March 14, 2010 1:08:23 PM

the problem is you are looking at some stoopid vista rating that doesn't mean s#1+

and 9500gt is very weak card anyways, so no extra memory can make it run any faster...
m
l
March 14, 2010 8:01:39 PM

Two things:

1. Yes that card is very slow.

2. 9500Gt is NOT a large improvement, a waste of money.

3. Vista Expiernce scores don't matter. People with 2 thousand dollar Quad CFX builds get low scores, lower than someone with a saingle GPU Nvdia card, due to:

4. Vista Experience not factoring in Multi GPU setups, And Ratiging the ATI cards at idle speeds.
m
l
Related resources
a b Î Nvidia
a b } Memory
March 14, 2010 8:12:13 PM

fred188 said:
i have a dell inspiron 530 ,quad core , i came with a nividia geforce 8600gt it wa great had a vista rateing of 5.5 to make it short the card went bad , so i bought a new one a geforce 9500gt and you would think i would have a better rateing but its only 5.0 and the mother board has stoped memory shearing ,,, my dell service contract has expired so i cant ask them . but the one time i did call they told me that in my 4 gegs of memory they had allocated memory to help the 8600gt how can i get the memory to help my 9500gt to get a better vista rateing .. does this make any tell you what my problem is lol

the reason your score went down is due to the 8600GT using cache system RAM. Vista sees the card as able to use more ram then the 9500GT and thinks that is better. It's not, using system ram rather then dedicated video ram from a card is not better for performance. The real issue is the chip on the video cards (both 8600GT and 9500GT) is far too slow to use any of that ram efficiently. Both cards can barely use 256mb of ram, I have owned both the 8600 256mb and 512mb cards.

the good news, your PC did not drop in performance with the 9500GT
the bad news, it did not get any better...its exactly the same as with the 8600GT

m
l
March 14, 2010 8:14:08 PM

Exactly, so why did he waste his money on it?
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
a b } Memory
March 14, 2010 8:18:37 PM

builderbobftw said:
Exactly, so why did he waste his money on it?

not my PC, not my money, if he wants advice for a better card; I'm willing to give it

I assume hes not in North America so his choices may be limited to what the local shop has in stock and if the PC is just for office work, watch movies, play Sims, etc., the 9500GT is fine
m
l
!