Buying my first ssd. a question about controllers

zellwwf

Honorable
May 3, 2012
Hi
I m thinking of buying either patriot wildfire 120gb or crucial force 3gt 120gb. The latter is 20 percent cheaper where I live. Not the problem. I cannot seem to understand controller jargon. I know both mentioned drives use sandforce but the question is simple, how do I k@now if my pc is capable of running a saddle driven drive.
Here are my specs:
mb: 990XA - gd 55;
CPU: amd fx 8120
ram: 16 gb. Crosair @ 1600mhZ

I trying finding what controller I can run. Googled my mb and chipset. Nothing.
What controlled does my pc support. And which 120gb ssd do u recommend.

Thanks

Solution
1) What is a "saddle driven drive?"

2) If your motherboard has SATA ports, it will work with either SSD. SATA III ports will be better than SATA II ports. Since you have six SATA III ports, you will have joy. It doesn't matter which brand of controller is in the SSD; they will all work with the SATA connections (or no-one would buy them).

3) Which do I recommend? The one that's less expensive in your local store.
1) What is a "saddle driven drive?"

2) If your motherboard has SATA ports, it will work with either SSD. SATA III ports will be better than SATA II ports. Since you have six SATA III ports, you will have joy. It doesn't matter which brand of controller is in the SSD; they will all work with the SATA connections (or no-one would buy them).

3) Which do I recommend? The one that's less expensive in your local store.

Solution

zellwwf

Honorable
May 3, 2012

thank you for ur reply... umm sorry saddle,, i meant sandforce ... i was typing in my tablet, so i guess auto-correct.. anyway, yes i have 6 SATA III, i thought the "controller" is two parts:
- the processor in the ssd.
- the controller in ur motherboard, like in a chipset or something...
thank you :) I will be glad to inform u, i will be buying wild fire... just gonna read more comparisons between the two.. :)

ram1009

Distinguished
I cannot understand how someone in good conscience can recommend buying the cheapest produce without some qualifications. The Sanforce controller SSD are amoung the cheapest but also the most unreliable. They have been plagued by firmware issues since day one. The Marvell based SSDs on the other hand are not as fast but are much more reliable. IMHO, cost is the lowest priority here.

This seems to summarize my thinking: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/sata-6gbps-performance-sata-3gbps,3110-8.html
I might have added a disclaimer that this is my personal opinion and not based on research or experience.