American battery chargers (Canon D60) - for trip to the USA?

Last response: in Digital Camera
December 4, 2004 12:11:34 AM

Soon I will be taking a trip to the USA, I hope to use my D60 ALOT!
I know that USA operates different amps and two pin plugs etc. and am just
concerned that I wont get my gear charged properly. Do the USA use different
charging equipment?

Is such equipment available in the UK?
Would it be a case of simply swapping plugs for the gear or do you need all
new battery charging gear altogether?
December 4, 2004 12:11:35 AM

Hi!

Does your camera have proprietery batteries? If so, the chargers can be
plugged in directly on 120 or 220 V. All you need is an adapter.
Marcel

"Mr.Will" <mr.will@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> Soon I will be taking a trip to the USA, I hope to use my D60 ALOT!
> I know that USA operates different amps and two pin plugs etc. and am just
> concerned that I wont get my gear charged properly. Do the USA use
different
> charging equipment?
>
> Is such equipment available in the UK?
> Would it be a case of simply swapping plugs for the gear or do you need
all
> new battery charging gear altogether?

Anonymous
December 4, 2004 12:11:35 AM

On Fri, 03 Dec 2004 21:11:34 GMT, Mr.Will wrote:

> Soon I will be taking a trip to the USA, I hope to use my D60 ALOT!
> I know that USA operates different amps and two pin plugs etc. and am just
> concerned that I wont get my gear charged properly. Do the USA use different
> charging equipment?
>
> Is such equipment available in the UK?
> Would it be a case of simply swapping plugs for the gear or do you need all
> new battery charging gear altogether?

Going the other way ( NA to Europe) -- I just needed a plug adaptor for my
Sony charger.

Most camera/laptop charging equipment afaik is designed for 110(North
America) and 220 (Europe) volt use and all that is required is the
(relatively inexpensive) plug adaptor. You should confirm that though for
your charger though (normally they are labeled with that information).

I would buy the adaptor there before you leave though-- not sure how easy
it would be to buy the right adaptor here(maybe an airport kiosk is the
most likely spot here).
December 4, 2004 1:18:53 AM

"Mr.Will" <mr.will@ntlworld.com> wrote in

> Soon I will be taking a trip to the USA, I hope to use my D60 ALOT!
> I know that USA operates different amps and two pin plugs etc. and am
> just concerned that I wont get my gear charged properly. Do the USA
> use different charging equipment?
Why not just buy a charger for the "lighter" [power outlet] in the car. As
far as I know they're the same.

--
Sorry but due to spam I shall not provide a valid e-mail address. Please
reply to the group.

"Roy G. Biv" <nospam@nospam.net> wrote in message
> "Mr.Will" <mr.will@ntlworld.com> wrote in
>
> > Soon I will be taking a trip to the USA, I hope to use my D60 ALOT!
> > I know that USA operates different amps and two pin plugs etc. and am
> > just concerned that I wont get my gear charged properly. Do the USA
> > use different charging equipment?
> Why not just buy a charger for the "lighter" [power outlet] in the car. As
> far as I know they're the same.

"Excuse me Mr. American taxi driver, I am a tourist from the UK here in New
York City and I don't have a car. But I need to charge my camera battery.
May I plug my camera into your car lighter while you are just idling here on
the street waiting for a fare?"

> --
> Sorry but due to spam I shall not provide a valid e-mail address. Please
> reply to the group.
Anonymous
December 4, 2004 4:09:47 PM

The Canon charger that I got with my D60, which takes 2 batteries at a time, is
dual-voltage. You just need an adapter to make the plug fit into a wall
outlet, and it's fine at 50-60 hz, 110-2240 VAC.
Anonymous
December 4, 2004 6:08:27 PM

"Mr.Will" <mr.will@ntlworld.com> wrote in message

Soon I will be taking a trip to the USA, I hope to use my D60 ALOT!
> I know that USA operates different amps and two pin plugs etc. and am just
> concerned that I wont get my gear charged properly. Do the USA use
> different charging equipment?

Look closely at your battery charger. It probably has a label that says
what range of input voltage it expects. You're looking for something like
"110-240V 50-60 Hz" or "220-240V 50Hz". Domestic electricity in the USA is
nominally 120V, 60 Hz, so if your charger supports those parameters, all you
need is an adaptor. I suspect those will not be hard to find. If your
charger does not support 120V, you have a harder problem.
Anonymous
December 4, 2004 6:24:08 PM

<<
The Canon charger that I got with my D60, which takes 2 batteries at a time, is
dual-voltage. You just need an adapter to make the plug fit into a wall
outlet, and it's fine at 50-60 hz, 110-2240 VAC. >>

Sorry, typo. I meant 110-240 VAC.
!