Sign in with
Your question

ASUS P7P55D-E LX random boot issues

Last response: in Motherboards
December 6, 2010 7:40:19 AM

Hi,

I recently upgraded a few components in my PC and have been experiencing random boot issues.

Specs:

Intel i5 760 CPU (New)
Asus P7P55D-E LX (New)
2 x 2GB DDR3 G.Skill ECO 1600 (New)
Antec Neo HE 550W PSU
BFG 8800gts 640mb GPU
Operating system: Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit

Initially I was unable to boot at all and it turned out to be one very dodgy stick of RAM that nearly corrupted my windows installation. I returned the faulty RAM kit for another and have tested the new kit it on Memtest with no errors.

My current issue is that occasionaly (every few days) I get 1 long and 3 short beeps during POST and no video output. It seems to be very random.
I can hear that it boots all the way into windows. I have been searching around for the descriptions of the BIOS beep codes and there seems to be some conflicting information. Some say my code is due to RAM and some say it is due to No GPU detected/installed or GPU RAM issues.

Either way I have done some testing and I belive that the error codes I'm getting are GPU related.
Testing so far:

- Upgrade motherboard BIOS
- Removed all hardware
- Re-seat motherboard on case standoffs
- Clear CMOS
- Test with one stick of RAM, no GPU. Got 1 long 3 short beeps
- Test same stick of RAM in second socket, no GPU. Got 1 long 3 short beeps
- Run same test with other stick of RAM
- Fit GPU. Error beeps go away (temporarily)
- Removed GPU and cleaned contacts with isopropyl alcohol

When the problem reappears sometimes moving the GPU slightly will get it to boot properly, which suggests that there is a poor connection.
Im not sure if it is a poor mobo socket connection or that my gpu is on it way out. I have pushed it pretty hard with games, etc and I get no glitchy artifacting so..

Also, my previous mobo was an asus P5B-E and I remember having a similar problem maybe once or twice in the 3 years since I built the system and moving the GPU or wiggling the DVI cable would bring it back to normal.

I'm going to see if I can borrow a spare GPU from a mate to see if I can isolate things further but given the intemittent nature of the fault It might prove difficult.

I purchased the new gear just over 3 weeks ago so my time to get a quick, easy and painless replacement from the store, if needed, is running out.

Has anyone else here experienced something similar before? Any known issues like this with this motherboard?
Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
December 6, 2010 12:01:07 PM

1 long-3 short beeps in AMI BIOS means extended memory failure.

I suggest you run memtest again, much longer this time, maybe overnight.

I had a similar issue several months ago. But I had neither video nor beeps. This was happening about once every eight-to-ten cold bootups. Not hot bootups or restarts.

I continued updating BIOS because I could not think of anything better to do.

Now I do not have the problem. My motherboard is P7P55D. My vid card is Radeon HD5770.

m
l
December 6, 2010 12:28:07 PM

Here's a newegg customer commenting on the specific mobo page:

Cons: I encountered some rather weird problems with the motherboard.
-First the graphic cards slot doesn't fully secure the graphics card in. It leaves a 1-2cm gap with one side of the graphics card, which doesn't serve as a problem but could cause some faults in the graphics card.
-Second, I spent 3 hours troubleshooting my motherboard because it gave me the 1 long beep, 3 short beeps trouble code. Spending countless time believing that my RAM was damaged, I was shocked that disabling "IO Mode" on my motherboard caused it because I had no use for it. So beware, if you do get this code try hitting the IO Switch in order to fix the problem. I didn't want IO switch turned on, because it lowers the speed of my graphics card by turning the PCI-E 16x 2.0 to a PCI-E 8x 2.0. IO switch is what allows USB 3.0 or SATA 6g/b to go full speed.

It seems like either of his cons could be relevant to your problem. Are you using a SSD?
m
l
Related resources
December 7, 2010 10:24:19 AM

Thanks for the replies and suggestions.

I have borrowed an old GPU from a mate for the mean time and have not had the issue reappear just yet. Only time will tell.

Quote:
suat

My boot issues were only occuring on cold bootups also.

My ram is a G.Skill ECO low voltage kit that runs on 1.35V. I was thinking that it might not be 100% compatible with this motherboard but the replacement kit has not given me any issues yet.

I too thought it might be a RAM issue but its odd that as soon as I insert the GPU the beeps stop and without it installed I get 1 long and 3 short beeps which suggests otherwise. In any case I will run memtest overnight on each ram stick just to be sure.

My motherboard is currently running the latest version of bios available.
Also, I remembered that when I got the bios error codes, sometimes pushing the MemOK! button seemed to fix the issue.

Quote:
treporp

No SSD here. I have 3 x 320GB Sata 2 HDDs
Yeah I noticed the PCI slot is not as secure as my old Motherboard which is a little concerning as my BFG 8800GTS is not the smallest nor lightest GPU around. I too would rather not compromise and run the PCI-E bus @ 8x 2.0 but I will give it a go the next time I get the error reappear. If this turned out to be the only permanent solution then I would consider returning the motherbord for a different model/manufacturer.
m
l
December 7, 2010 7:50:33 PM

Just a quick update.

I ran memtest on the 4GB RAM Kit overnight for approx. 9 hours with 13 passes and 0 errors/failures.
I think its safe to assume my RAM is not the issue?

m
l
December 20, 2010 9:03:53 PM

Been running with the other GPU I borrowed for about a week or so and I havn't heard a single error beep. I put my 8800gts back in and a few days later I was getting the bios post errors. If I persist and keep trying to boot up eventually it will (about 5 - 7 tries later from cold boot up). No issues once I'm in windows...

The 8800gts is twice the size of the other GPU I tested and about 4 - 5 times the weight...could it be this motherboard has a poorly designed PCI-E connector or is it time to replace my GPU? I'd hate to replace it with a new one and have the same thing happen as most new cards about about the same size and same weight and my current one...

m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
December 22, 2010 8:01:32 AM

I have to add to my post above that, when my computer could not boot up from cold state, the diagnostic led for the VGA card always shined red. When this happened, I turned the computer off with the power button on the case and powered it on again. This always worked and my computer started as if nothing wrong happened a minute ago.

For info, my motherboard has four diagnostic leds on it. One for CPU, one for DRAM, one for VGA card, and one for boot device.

My complete spec is, Asus P7P55D, Intel i7-860, 8 GB DDR3-1333 RAM, 120 GB SSD, 320 GB HDD, Radeon HD5770, Bluray writer, DVD writer, Antec 650 W psu, Gigabyte isolo 210 case.

As I said above, I updated my BIOS as soon as there was one out. When I bought the motherboard, BIOS version was 0403. Now it is 1702. 1702 was my lucky number, I guess. Since then I have not had a single cold boot failure and I stopped there.

m
l
December 22, 2010 10:47:48 AM

My only question is why are you choosing 32-bit over 64-bit? 32-bit limits the amount of RAM you can install. If you install 4GB, only 3 - 3.5GB will be shown by the OS.
m
l
!