Designate OS drive?

eikone

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2009
Ok, I know this will sound like a really dumb question to you expert geeks, but how else do I learn except by admitting my ignorance and relying on you all to educate me. :hum:

I've put together my first complete build and am ready to begin installation of the OS (Windows 7 Pro). I have a 60Gb SSD and a 1Tb HDD and I would like the OS to go on the SSD. How do I designate the drives for this?

Also, it was suggested to me, that, since I have some peripherals and needed programs that may have compatibility issues with the new Windows 7, I should consider partitioning so that I can also install Windows XP for these. I have no idea how to do this either.

Thanks to all for the great help, advice, and encouragement you provide to us newbies! :ouimaitre: :D

Solution
Ok, first make sure only the SSD is plugged in.

Second:

Enter the BIOS
Select Advanced
Select Drive Configuration
Disable Intel RAID Technology
Enable SATA AHCI mode
Save changes and exit the BIOS configuration.
(Note: This may not be the same depending on your motherboard; please list full specs).

Also, a few things:
1. Are there jumpers on the SSD? I haven't used OCZ SSDs (Using an X25-M G2 80GB) so I don't know much about it.

2. You may want to read this: http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/wiki/index.php?title=How_to_set_up_Windows_on_a_VERTEX
and possibly contact OCZ support. The OCZ Forums are better prepared to handle your problem. People over there know the OCZ SSDs inside and out.

3. From what I have seen around the net...

arges86

Distinguished
When you install the Operating System, it will ask you what partition (drive) to install on. It will give you the drive sizes too. So you just have to pick the 60 GB drive.
Once installed, you can use the disk management tool built into windows (Windows key + 'Disk Management' then hit Enter) to create another partition.

I would hold off on doing so until you know you need Windows XP for something... I've been using Win7 for over a year w/o any unresolvable compatibility issues.

When you begin the Win 7 installation, it will allow you to select either the HDD or the SSD, select the SSD and Win 7 will install in to that.

As for XP, if you have some old hardware with out Win 7 support, it may be time to upgrade them imo. At any rate, I personally wouldn't put XP on the SSD.

If you must get XP:

1. Install the just the SDD to the PC.
2. Install Win 7 on to it.
3. Unplug SSD (once Win 7 is installed) then plug in ONLY the HDD.
4. Install Win XP on it (partition it at ~80GB or so).
5. Plug in the SSD.
6. You can boot in to XP or Win 7 by using the Quick Boot menu of the BIOS during boot up.

The main reason for doing this is that it keeps XP and Win 7 completely separate (as in separate MBRs,etc). Should you decide to get rid of XP, all you have to do is re-format the 80GB partition in Win 7.

In Win 7, move your data (ie My Docs,etc) locations to the rest of space on the HDD. You may need to go in to "Disk Management" in Win 7 to format the rest of the space on the 1TB drive.

eikone

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2009
I was planning to test out all my "necessities" before deciding if I need XP or not. My main concerns is with my HP Photosmart all-in-one printer. It isn't your normal consumer desk top model and it works great. Plus it would cost too much to replace it with a comparable one just because of compatibility issues. I've been told that HP is not the best at offering update drivers for the newer OS versions. I guess I'll find out soon enough. Also, I have a very old version of Photoshop (my original full version) that I would have to install first in order to intall the upgrade version I bought later.

Aside from being a BIG GAMER, I am a professional photographer so that is why I decided to build my own custom system. I knew I could get just what I wanted for less money, learn a lot and enjoy the accomplishment.

eikone

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2009
Ok, I've run into a road block. I've started the Windows install and I'm at the point at choosing the disk to install to. When I choose the my SSD it says "Windows cannot be installed to this disk. (Show details)".
Details are: "Windows cannot be installed to this disk. This computer's hardware may not support booting to this disk. Ensure that the disk's controller is enabled in the computer's BIOS menu."

At this point is it safe to just turn off the power and restart in order to get to the BIOS menu or is there a way to get to BIOS from here?

eikone

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2009
Ok, I did this and now I'm back to choosing and it says the same thing, so I clicked the "advance" button and I'm guessing this is where it will format and/or partition the drive? It shows a "size" bar with a value of 61057 MB (my SSD is 60GB) with option to change the value and "Apply" or "Cancel". Do I leave this full value or change it?

eikone

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2009
Ok, here goes.... (boy I wish I could just do an instant messaging session with you while I'm doing this. I hate posting and waiting! Anyone have a Facebook account that would be willing to "friend" me and then we could message there?)

Thanks

eikone

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2009
DANG IT!!! GOT AN ERROR MESSAGE!!! AAHHHHAHHHAHHAHHAHHHHHAAAAAAAHHH!!!! :cry:

Ok, I feel a little better now.

Here's the message: "Failed to create a new partition on the selected unused space. [Error: 0x80042556]." Please interpret?

Hmm.... seems like you'r SSD doesn't want to be formatted. Is the SSD the only one drive (apart from DVD RW) in the system?

Download UBCD iso and make a boot CD. http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/
(Read the FAQ: http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/tutorials.html )

Then go to Partition Tools>Cute Partition Manager and see if you can create a partition on the SSD.

Also, make sure AHCI is enabled in BIOS. Btw, what SSD model?

eikone

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2009
It is OCZ 60Gb SATA II SSD. I tried again and got another error message (don't remember the code) so I quit for the night, too tired and too aggravated!

I'm sorry for my ignorance, but I really do not understand your last instructions.

I REALLY would love to have a live chat with an experienced, helpful, generously patience soul!

eikone

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2009
I removed the Windows disk from the drive, powered off, and cleared the CMOS in hopes of starting fresh again.

Can someone guide me through from this point, PLEASE? :oops:

Ok, first make sure only the SSD is plugged in.

Second:

Enter the BIOS
Select Advanced
Select Drive Configuration
Disable Intel RAID Technology
Enable SATA AHCI mode
Save changes and exit the BIOS configuration.
(Note: This may not be the same depending on your motherboard; please list full specs).

Also, a few things:
1. Are there jumpers on the SSD? I haven't used OCZ SSDs (Using an X25-M G2 80GB) so I don't know much about it.

2. You may want to read this: http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/wiki/index.php?title=How_to_set_up_Windows_on_a_VERTEX
and possibly contact OCZ support. The OCZ Forums are better prepared to handle your problem. People over there know the OCZ SSDs inside and out.

3. From what I have seen around the net, could be that you have a bad drive or a bad Win 7 DVD.

Solution

eikone

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2009
Thanks for the response.

Here's a more complete system list:
MOBO - ASUS P6T
PSU - 660w Kingwin Premium Series
CPU - Intel Core i7 920
CPU Cooler - Dark Knight
RAM - 6GB OCZ DDR3 Gold
HDD - 1TB WD Caviar Black
SSD - 60GB OCZ
GPU - [strike]ATI Radeon HD5870 1GB[/strike] **
HDTV Card - Hauppuage Win TV-HVR 1600
Lian Li 3.5 LCD Thermometer & Fan Controller
Optical Drive - SAMSUNG Super-WriteMaster SH-S223
(will soon be adding a Blu-ray Disc writter)
System is housed in a Thermaltake XaserVI case that I have done some modding to.
Also have external 640GB WD MyBook Storage, LG Super-Multi DVD writter and
my HP w2408 24 inch LCD Monitor.

**This card was defective. :pfff: Temporarily using NVIDIA GeForce GT 240

I already tried everything you suggested above with no luck. There are no jumpers on the SSD.

I have disconnected the SSD and have successfully installed Windows on the HDD for now. I wanted to use the SSD for the OS and to run Photoshop and the HDD for other programs and storage. External drive will be for business storage and I plan to subscribe to an online backup system too.

Is it possible for me to accomplish this?

I plan to subscribe to an online backup system too.
Even then, just make sure you have back up on an external HDD and the most important stuff (ie pics,etc) on DVD/BD. If you do plan to use an online back up, I recommend Dropbox (I use it, 50GB for ~$120). I also recommend you encrypt your data before storing it; TrueCrypt works well for this.

Anyways, seeing as you installed fine on to the HDD it appears as if you had a bad SSD.Like I said, try the OCZ Forums.

A few questions:

1. Is the SSD detected in Windows?
2. If it is detected, can you use it? Try HD Tune Pro (Trial) bench mark on it.

eikone

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2009

Thanks for the reply and suggestions. I did try unplugging the other (HDD) drive but then Windows did not recognize it at all; there was no drive listed in the "choose drive" list.

I think I found the problem. I just switched out the SATA cable and the drive is showing up in the BIOS menu now (must have been a faulty cable?). In Windows, under "Computer" it lists "Hard Disk Drives (1)" showing my HDD only. Under the "Device Manager" / My computer/ Disk Drives, it list both the OCZ SSD and the WDC HDD, and it says that "This device is working properly".

I REALLY want to go back to my original configuration plans. How can I do this now?

eikone

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2009

Please, I beg of you, is there anyway possible for us to engage in a live chat session? I'm on Facebook and could chat there, if you have an account and "friend" me? I really getting desperate! :cry: